A Washing Machine Is Essential

The washing machine went wrong a couple of days ago. Making a Hell of a racket. Hotpoint WMD960. Absolute POS from new. (I wanted to buy a Bosch but was overruled). Thank God we pay for cover for it. Not cheap (the cover, I think it's £17pcm) but boy have we used it!

Rang the cover company not expecting them to be working but were told a washing machine is essential (dishwasher not). Good quick service.

So the engineer comes out today.....

It's the "drum"...again. New part ordered. But the part comes from Italy.....No eta which is fair enough.

Managed to borrow an Indesit and plumbed that in.

My advise on laundry appliance is always to buy the cheapest Miele with the 5y/10y warranty on the dryer/washing machine. Yes its a lot more than other products but I can assure you that 17 pcm * 12 (months)  * 8 (years; most appliances come with a 2 year warranty) is guaranteed to be twice the price of the miele washing machine before taking into account the capital cost of whatever other washing machine you buy. Plus it will wash better and not ruin your clothes. And it will probably last another 5-10 years after the warranty is over.

I have one that was purchased in July 2005 and 15 years later hasnt missed a beat. It owes me nothing if I had to scrap it tomorrow. Miele can be very expensive to repair so its quite important to buy one with the 5/10 year warranties.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Hotpoint WMD960

I had the forerunner to it.  POS.

13 months old the drum bearing went.  Could not get spares, Hotpoint had taken the model off the market because it was so unreliable.

Eventually got my cash back from Tesco and an extra 100 quid.

Bought a Bosch, still working very well ten years on.

We bought a Bosch direct drive.  After about 5 years the drum bearings went.  I looked at replacing them but it really is a major strip down.  I still have the motor and all the controls from that which I keep meaning to put on ebay one day.

Since then we have bought cheap from the local refurb place and if a £200 machine lasts 3 years we have had value from it (a lot better value than paying £17 per month for an extended warranty)  Presently using a Becko that is about 2 years old from the refurb place.

We had one before, I think it was Indesit, where the drum started splitting in two at a seam.  That seems one to avoid again.

We could go on about who owns who etc as many big brand names are in fact from the same stable now.

What didn't impress me was when I heard Bosch had bought an ailing factory in Spain to make cheaper "Bosch" models. Now stamped Made In EU rather than Made In Germany. 

2 hours ago, ryder72 said:

My advise on laundry appliance is always to buy the cheapest Miele with the 5y/10y warranty on the dryer/washing machine.

This in 2015 and counting, although they have gone up significantly in price since then.

On 15/04/2020 at 21:28, dpmiller said:

Given up on mainstream european and refuse to give Miele their markup.

Five year warranty on Samsung...

Broadly speaking I would agree that the markup on Miele is not worth it but on laundry and vacuum cleaners, the product justifies the premium. In fact these are the two product categories in which Miele regularly win awards and they tend to extend the glow of these award wins to the entire brand which IMO is not worth it.

Even Siemens offer extended warranties to their laundry but the product just isnt made to the same standards and neither is Samsung.

5 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

We use only Miele washing machines and dishwashers and have done for a very long time. Never had a problem and the ten year warranty is worth it.

Wish I'd bought that Miele dishwasher off of you now! Still, the Bosch here is still going after half a dozen self repairs over the last 20 years.

• 3 years later...

After many more callouts a sympathetic engineer deemed our machine unserviceable. This on the basis the required spare part was no longer available.

Engineers were good, bad and very bad. Some direct from the service outfit, some subbies. After one visit with it left "working", the belt started to slip off. After refitting a few times I then had a look and found a lug on the motor broken off. Not just broken off but missing and nowhere to be found. 

On the back of this we got a new one FOC under the service contract. You got given a choice, a list deemed equivalent to what you had. To upgrade your choice you could pay extra.

SWMBO chose another Hotpoint! Despite me batting on about buying Miele.

Just another nail in my coffin I'm sure.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Simple controls + no hassle ownership. 

I am happy with my Bosch washing machine.  Much easier to use than my old Bosch one, which lasted 14 years.

On 16/04/2020 at 10:47, Temp said:

At least with Bosch it's not too hard to get parts to repair it yourself

Not always and as I found out, it is cheaper to buy a new one.

My German Bosch was made in Poland.

• Like 1