Modern Agricultural Barn conversion. Anybody done one?

Roger440

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

My numbers were very much estimates, so may be well off, and are several years old.

But ask in the right places and numbers should be relatively easy to find.

Any suggestions as to the right places? My looking has revealed little so far :(

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

I think we are talking cross purposes :(

I meant costs of conversion of existing barn to domestic use..

Im well versed in costs of actual modern steel structures!

542EBB4A-A270-40E7-A66B-38C40A413E16.thumb.jpeg.34a670061d13e7045705277e3756d63e.jpegMy mate in oz has one of the best workshop/ houses I’ve ever seen, we are both into old American cars hotrods 1950’s Cadillacs that sort of thing. 

What he has is is a huge industrial barn type building sizes just for an idea. 

36m long and 12m wide

at one end 12mx12m he has converted it into a two bedroom apartment, downstairs laundry boot room, spare bedroom, upstairs kitchen diner and main bed and en-suite. 

Next to this he he has removed the roof from  the next 12m section to give him a 12x12 courtyard garden

then at the other end he has a 12x12 workshop, 4 post ramps, Indian motorcycle, 52 caddy modal a coupe, heaven. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1

There was a TV programme that had a chap who built an industrial style barn for himself with a bit round the corner for his cars a couple of years ago on a former timberyard or scrapyard, I think. He was around 65-70, so built it with a 2 bed living wing, and such that the car-barn could be made into more accommodation for his family next generation when he had popped his clogs.

Might have some insights but I will not be able to find it easily.

Edited by Ferdinand

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

542EBB4A-A270-40E7-A66B-38C40A413E16.thumb.jpeg.34a670061d13e7045705277e3756d63e.jpegMy mate in oz has one of the best workshop/ houses I’ve ever seen, we are both into old American cars hotrods 1950’s Cadillacs that sort of thing. 

What he has is is a huge industrial barn type building sizes just for an idea. 

36m long and 12m wide

at one end 12mx12m he has converted it into a two bedroom apartment, downstairs laundry boot room, spare bedroom, upstairs kitchen diner and main bed and en-suite. 

Next to this he he has removed the roof from  the next 12m section to give him a 12x12 courtyard garden

then at the other end he has a 12x12 workshop, 4 post ramps, Indian motorcycle, 52 caddy modal a coupe, heaven. 

No, no. Stop it!!!!!

Id do this tommorow if i could.

10 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

There was a TV programme that had a chap who built an industrial style barn for himself with a bit round the corner for his cars a couple of years ago on a former timberyard or scrapyard, I think. He was around 65-70, so built it with a 2 bed living wing, and such that the car-barn could be made into more accommodation for his family next generation when he had popped his clogs.

Might have some insights but I will not be able to find it easily.

In america there is a whole movement, they like to call barndominium living.

But i dont live in america so have to struggle on with our system

21 hours ago, JFDIY said:

That Norfolk one is crying out for you to leave the workshop as is and build the dwelling under the lean-to area

Indeed. But that will require a significant divergence from the principal of class Q planning as i understand it. It may or may not be possible, but would need a very compliant seller, while you try and get planning. They may not want refusals on record either.

30 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Indeed. But that will require a significant divergence from the principal of class Q planning as i understand it. It may or may not be possible, but would need a very compliant seller, while you try and get planning. They may not want refusals on record either.

Why the complient seller? It has permission for domestic, so there's no risk, if you don't get permission, you either apply for a complete re-build (there's been a few around my way like this), or do the conversion and then apply for a large out building

Little risk if you ask me.

I would stay away from old petrol stations 

unless you have a ground survey done for pollution and tanks are removed or filled solid with concrete 

once you buy it and planning insist on ground test -you could be stuck with mega costs to remove any polluted soil and dump 

and then they can insist that on ground testing outside your boundary to see if the pollution has moved off site

and that could be hundreds of thousands of pounds --so you must spend£10k on ground testing --EG bore holes 

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I would stay away from old petrol stations 

unless you have a ground survey done for pollution and tanks are removed or filled solid with concrete 

once you buy it and planning insist on ground test -you could be stuck with mega costs to remove any polluted soil and dump 

and then they can insist that on ground testing outside your boundary to see if the pollution has moved off site

and that could be hundreds of thousands of pounds --so you must spend£10k on ground testing --EG bore holes 

100% agree. Nightmare. When we propose pipeline routes, we always assume land within 10m of a petrol station, workshop or similar is contaminated, and we make sure the pipeline goes on the opposite side of the road. It's just not worth the risk. 

1 hour ago, gc100 said:

With barns you still have to do soil tests etc (we did) and deal with any pollutants in and around ...

very common stipulation now with an ex commercial property

farms often have had leaking red diesel tanks in past and other nasty chemicals maybe

Edited by scottishjohn

23 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Why the complient seller? It has permission for domestic, so there's no risk, if you don't get permission, you either apply for a complete re-build (there's been a few around my way like this), or do the conversion and then apply for a large out building

Little risk if you ask me.

Because its Q class. The landlord of our old business premises is using the Q class route on the building. So thats been agreed (because they cant refuse) But they wont allow him to add any opening for windows and doors.

So its quite a risk. Even if its a small risk, its a risk i simply cannot afford to take. I buy it and fail to get the necessary planning, then what? No choice but to sell. That process will cost big.

Edited by Roger440

23 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think you just need to move out a bit more

I bought a few years ago a two bed bungalow with room in the back garden for a workshop that would be approx 18m wide and 12 m deep, is that not big enough. 

Yep. That would be big enough.

How "far out" are you?

But im guessing you applied after you bought? What would you have done if it was a no?

23 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

This is a new plot with planning for a modern family home, I cannot see any reason why you cannot have 140m workshop with 140m studio flat above it, if it has full planning for residential than it would surely only be a formality to only have a part of it for living. 5C39252E-5B2B-41A2-A17D-4D727C8C4F75.thumb.png.aed824ef4f5eb1b5f8e11897c57d2029.png

I bet the planners can though.

I know ive said it already, but i simply cant afford to find out post purchase if i can do it. And that really is the biggest issue.

Ive only got one more move left in me.

Edited by Roger440

4 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

very common stipulation now with an ex commercial property

farms often have had leaking red diesel tanks in past and other nasty chemicals maybe

Have to say i didnt really consider that. Good point, well made.

52 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Yep. That would be big enough.

How "far out" are you?

But im guessing you applied after you bought? What would you have done if it was a no?

Why would it be a no, I’m not sure where you are but buildings that size are not unusual around here, this is the house we live in while we build the new one next door, it sits in a plot of just under a half acre so a building that size down the bottom of the garden isn’t overly big in the garden. 

We are in Cirencester M4 twenty minutes, I can be in reading in an hour or Bristol in 50. 

I think you need to look at 40-50 minutes drive outside the m25 to find larger plot sizes. 

On 18/04/2020 at 14:24, Roger440 said:

Cars primarily. (currently 9). Do all my own restoration etc. Lots of gear.  Woodwork stuff. Really want some space for a model railway too longer term.

Obviously i could abandon all my hobbies and the problem would go away. But im not ready to accept defeat just yet.

But i dont want a big house. Just a 2 bed bungalow would be fine.

Is it vital these are all at home?

Someone I used to do work for had a similar sort of hobby and car collection.  His solution was to buy an industrial unit on an industrial estate where he had his cars and workshop.