What’s the best and simplest security system

10 hours ago, joe90 said:

Many years ago I built a “poachers trap” which consisted of a trip wire and a shotgun cartridge (empty of shot) as were were aware of people entering our small holding during the night, unfortunately the only person I caught was my wife who forgot about the trip wire when feeding her horses first thing in the morning?her ears were ringing fir days?.

we used to do this but direct the “blast” into a galvanised dustbin laid on its side .....

Swear to god I’ve heard less noise from a 105mm field gun ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just out of curiosity, where is you lot all getting your shotguns from? Asking for a friend, and just in theory. There wouldn't be any hunters around "loosing" theirs, would there?

?

Edited by Patrick

8 hours ago, Patrick said:

Just out of curiosity, where is you lot all getting your shotguns from? Asking for a friend, and just in theory. There wouldn't be any hunters around "loosing" theirs, would there?

?

I get mine of a lad in the pub, Jonny the hood, ex bank robber turned good, he has a good selection from little sawn offs you can get under your jacket to unrestricted 7 shot pump ups. 

Cash only. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Actually I think geese are more noisy than a dog and many people won’t go near them.

You’re actually right there! I was brought up on a small holding and we had a flock of geese, vicious buggers, I once got a sore peck from the gander when I came home from school and went into the field to look for my mother!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christine Walker said:

You’re actually right there! I was brought up on a small holding and we had a flock of geese, vicious buggers, I once got a sore peck from the gander when I came home from school and went into the field to look for my mother!

Yes, In a previous life I had a small holding and breed  geese and other things, I love geese and may even get some fir here (when I have finished my 1001 other jobs ?)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

I don't think the police come out to home alarm calls anymore.

They will do, but it must be a graded alarm with an annual maintenance contract (recurring fee) from a registered installer that provides an "URN" reference number (one time fee) for the system. Any trigger must be confirmed (two different sensors activate) and is routed via an alarm receiving center (recurring fee) to triage. They have a three strikes policy for false alarms and such like. 

If you don't want to pay recurring fees, the best you can do is self monitoring with some sort of system that notifies you on your phone

I have had this chat with our security providers at work as they do domestic work as well as commercial.  For domestic  alarms that do not need to be linked to monitored services to report to the emergency services they now mainly  fit wireless systems. Every installer will recommend what they are familiar with but Pyronix enforcer, Texecom premier elite and Visonic PowerMaster are all well known branded wireless systems which could be fitted by a diyer. 

I chose the visonic powermaster basically because the remotes look good and the touch screen pad looks modern/hi tech so the system is pretier really ? I paid for mine to be installed as the other half wanted it done asap (recent break ins). My friend looked at my system and bought the same. It is connected to the phone line and can dial two (maybe more)numbers to report activations, low battery power and mains failure. I have just bought the add on to allow internet access which does upon up the possibility of paying a subscription for monitoring but we wont use it for this. 

We use the remote controls rather than a fob or code. The detached garage is partitioned so can be armed disarmed separately. You can arm it as home so the perimeter is set but internal sensors are not which allows free movement around the home with the alarm set. Sensors can also activate a voice but we have this turned off. If I am working in the garage the alarm will keep shouting out, "GARAGE" everytime movement is detected.

I was told to stay away from the cheap stuff like Yale ect as like everything, you get what you pay for.

One of the three systems should be a few hundred pounds if bought by yourself. 

Hope that helps or if you need anymore info ask away. I am not an expert on alarms BTW, just played around with a few systems and pick the brains of our guys.

• Thanks 1