It’s awesome !

Pocster

7 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Is that a finger print reader? Must have set you back a few bob!

If it is that'd be a bummer for me.

After a day on the concrete or smashing holes in a wall, my phone steadfastly refuses to accept my fingerprint.

Yes @pocster that is a really nice door. There's nothing more welcoming than a really well proportioned door. Looks to me as if you're as scared of losing the keys as we  are ... 

keys.JPG.eb41b176c486bc1ed16e320c9fe6044c.JPG

• Haha 1

My 'phone is pretty abysmal at reading my fingerprint, too.  Never yet had it work first time, and probably half the time it defaults to having to enter a PIN to unlock it.  When we tried fingerprint readers on doors at work they had the same sort of problems, so we switched to retinal scanners, that seemed to be a great deal more reliable.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

My 'phone is pretty abysmal at reading my fingerprint, too.  Never yet had it work first time, and probably half the time it defaults to having to enter a PIN to unlock it.  When we tried fingerprint readers on doors at work they had the same sort of problems, so we switched to retinal scanners, that seemed to be a great deal more reliable.

You need iPhone with face recognition- pretty reliable ?

57 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Is that a finger print reader? Must have set you back a few bob!

44 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

We've had a fingerprint scanner on our RK door for over four years now. Back in 2015 it was a £500 option but I think it has been well worth it.

I've programmed on 8 fingers for each of us (doesn't do thumbs) and it's worked great - far more sensitive & reliable than the phone fingerprint scanners.

Only real issue i've had is when working with blocks etc and my fingertips have been abraded - I've only needed to re-program my fingers in once in that time, everyone else has been fine.

I always carry a key for emergencies but the kids have never had a key to the door and therefore have never been in the position of forgetting or loosing them and getting locked out.

We can also pop a neighbours fingerprint on if they're looking after the place while we're away and then delete it on our return.

2 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We've had a fingerprint scanner on our RK door for over four years now. Back in 2015 it was a £500 option but I think it has been well worth it.

I've programmed on 8 fingers for each of us (doesn't do thumbs) and it's worked great - far more sensitive & reliable than the phone fingerprint scanners.

Only real issue i've had is when working with blocks etc and my fingertips have been abraded - I've only needed to re-program my fingers in once in that time, everyone else has been fine.

I always carry a key for emergencies but the kids have never had a key to the door and therefore have never been in the position of forgetting or loosing them and getting locked out.

We can also pop a neighbours fingerprint on if they're looking after the place while we're away and then delete it on our return.

Ok that answers my question. On site.

• Like 1

Just now, Thedreamer said:

Ok that answers my question. On site.

When the door is open, there is a control panel in the internal face that closes into the wall.

Bit of a faff but you add a new user and then add each finger one at a time by swiping down 3 times per finger and you get a confirmation that it's been successful.  You can add from 1 to 8 fingers per person and I believe 99 people :) Easy to delete people also. Fingerprints survive over a power cut as they're written into non volatile memory.

Everything is contained in the door and all you need to add is power - ours came with a long multi core cable and a DV converter.

During plastering, the cable got severed but we got a replacement and managed to get it all hooked up again.

There is definitely provision to patch it into a home automation system but as we don't have one, not an option for us.

Also the newer version has wifi and bluetooth I think to enable remote opening, not something I'm keen on from a security perspective so don't miss it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Great !

I did ask the installer if thumbs were ok - he said yes . Maybe a newer model ???

40 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

When the door is open, there is a control panel in the internal face that closes into the wall.

Bit of a faff but you add a new user and then add each finger one at a time by swiping down 3 times per finger and you get a confirmation that it's been successful.  You can add from 1 to 8 fingers per person and I believe 99 people :) Easy to delete people also. Fingerprints survive over a power cut as they're written into non volatile memory.

Everything is contained in the door and all you need to add is power - ours came with a long multi core cable and a DV converter.

During plastering, the cable got severed but we got a replacement and managed to get it all hooked up again.

There is definitely provision to patch it into a home automation system but as we don't have one, not an option for us.

Also the newer version has wifi and bluetooth I think to enable remote opening, not something I'm keen on from a security perspective so don't miss it.

Will add into HA . When I’m underground and someone presses the doorbell - will push a Cctv image to a wall mounted iPad then I can unlock the door remotely if I wish .

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Great !

I did ask the installer if thumbs were ok - he said yes . Maybe a newer model ???

Maybe. Mine works by vertically sliding the hand down with an open palm, with the relevant finger on the sensor - like yours it has a horizontal line that forms the scanner.

This is hard to do for thumbs as the rest of the hand ends up at a 90 degree angle.

1 minute ago, joth said:

@pocster is yours a RK door too? Mind sharing U-value and aprx cost?

It looks lovely

Can’t remember u value without checking .

About 7k ?

But we have as you finger print scanner , electronic unlock and customised front and back . All glazing triple glazed - that’s a fairly large panel to the right . RK doors are the jam of jams ! 
The ‘style’ choices were also more expensive than some of the simpler designs .

• Thanks 1

Thanks! We've really cut corners with the main door, selecting the same internorm patio style door as we are using for the kitchen side door. Our front door is not visible from the street (on side of house, perpendicular to the road) and will eventually be covered by an external porch, so really seemed a waste of money getting a statement door. But seeing yours gives me serious doubts as this is exact look I originally had in mind!

• Haha 1

My RK door was quite expensive - about £5k and £500 to install, but we had the scanner and fancy 180o hinges as an upgrade so they added about £1k extra.

It fills a 1650mm opening and the door itself is about 900mm wide. I did cock up the order though as I intended the door to be wider (1100mm) with less glass on the side but it looks fine. Also the wall construction next to the door somewhat impedes the door opening to about 100% but the concealed hinges look nice anyway :)

It's U value is 0.67W/m2K and it's passive standard, lots of seals etc.

image.png.d43b174623dfed6df0366de2cb0ea0be.png

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Like 1

Just now, joth said:

Thanks! We've really cut corners with the main door, selecting the same internorm patio style door as we are using for the kitchen side door. Our front door is not visible from the street (on side of house, perpendicular to the road) and will eventually be covered by an external porch, so really seemed a waste of money getting a statement door. But seeing yours gives me serious doubts as this is exact look I originally had in mind!

Some things I’m so particular about it’s untrue . I know exactly what ‘image’ I’m trying to create . Tbh - this is all paid for by the savings of me labouring on site everything I can . Save 20k on labour - spend 20k on nice things ?

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can’t remember u value without checking .  About 7k ?

[...]

Ditto. Worth every penny. Everyone, but everyone who comes to the house comments on our doorway. The BCO really loved it too. A generous door seems to help set the tone of a house somehow....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Ditto. Worth every penny. Everyone, but everyone who comes to the house comments on our doorway. The BCO really loved it too. A generous door seems to help set the tone of a house somehow....

It’s the house’s “face” . You make a judgement about the people inside based on the front door . Boy ! visitors to my front door are in for a surprise when they meet me ????

Edited by pocster

I had 8 RK Doors fitted in a development.  £3,600 each including fitting.  They had motorised locks and were a special design to match the planning drawings.  Quite expensive but they seem decent quality.  There is no snib, so if the door shuts behind you and you don't have a key, you are stuffed.

image.png.84bdd2eb35ea5f89e3a908aca2583cd9.png

• Like 1