Sorry if covering old ground there’s so much stuff on this forum.

anyone heard of BPC ventilation, currently looking at quotes for supply of MVHR system. I’ve obtained supply only at the minute but will get professional too install. The unit that they are suggesting/supply think it’s the brand that they only supply. Vent axia sentinel kinetic FH as the cheaper option or vent axia advance s there’s not much price difference. Anyone with any experience of these units?

1 hour ago, Taff said:

[...]

anyone heard of BPC ventilation, currently looking at quotes for supply of MVHR system. I’ve obtained supply only at the minute but will get professional too install. 

[...]

@Taff, I'm as you know an old git doing this build on my own mostly.

Last Saturday, I  fitted my MVHR first fit on my own with two hours help from a lad - push - pull - squeeze - swear. You'll be able to do your first fit on your own.

We bought from BPC - the only trouble I've had is the telephone calls: one lad speaks with an accent strong enough to curdle milk. They do the design and supply. I might just get someone who knows what they are doing  to fit the box next year. 

Ours was a BPC system.  I self installed, then when I was ready, hired an airflow meter and adjusted all the vents to match BPC's design airflow figures (Ian's right - a bit of a circular, pain in the ar$e job, in that adjusting one vent impacts on the others...).  I produced my own commissioning certificate for Building Control and they never questioned it.

20 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Ours was a BPC system.  I self installed, then when I was ready, hired an airflow meter and adjusted all the vents to match BPC's design airflow figures (Ian's right - a bit of a circular, pain in the ar$e job, in that adjusting one vent impacts on the others...).  I produced my own commissioning certificate for Building Control and they never questioned it.

Same here

Various threads on here document the testing process. I plan on searching for them when mines done, then when I've failed creating a new thread asking someone to please link me them or repost the info. Ha I'm crap. 

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Various threads on here document the testing process. I plan on searching for them when mines done, then when I've failed creating a new thread asking someone to please link me them or repost the info. Ha I'm crap. 

Me too

Shouldn’t this forum be called, professionalbuildhub.org.uk. It may keep numb skulls like myself away, seems like you all have a pretty good idea on all the tasks when I’m still scratching my head ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Taff said:

Shouldn’t this forum be called, professionalbuildhub.org.uk. It may keep numb skulls like myself away, seems like you all have a pretty good idea on all the tasks when I’m still scratching my head ?

Most here started out not knowing much.  This place is a bit like a self-build university, where we all learn from each other.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@Taff, I'm as you know an old git doing this build on my own mostly.

Last Saturday, I  fitted my MVHR first fit on my own with two hours help from a lad - push - pull - squeeze - swear. You'll be able to do your first fit on your own.

We bought from BPC - the only trouble I've had is the telephone calls: one lad speaks with an accent strong enough to curdle milk. They do the design and supply. I might just get someone who knows what they are doing  to fit the box next year. 

Fitting the box is the easy bit once ducts & manifolds are in place - bolt to wall, use the concertina insulated hose to hook up to the four vents, attach the condensate drain and turn on.

Commissioning is also a DIY job.

Like many here I did it all myself and have very basic DIY skills. 

Three years in I've not suffocated so must have done something right :)

19 minutes ago, Taff said:

Anyone had BPC design the layout, what sort of prices do they charge?

From memory they specced a system from my planning approved floor plans for free and from that created a parts list to build a quote from.

There was enough wriggle room in the supplied materials (mainly the rigid and flex ducting) to allow some variation from the given plan on where everything went and I did end up with leftovers but less than £100 on a £2000 order (not including the unit itself).

It's also handy to take their plan and check that you've made provision for duct runs in the joisting and any steels.

While the individual flex ducts are easy to run in pozi joists,  you do need a bit of space  when they start to come together at the manifold, also the rigid duct to outside needs some room especially as it needs wrapped with insulation too.