Contractor woes

Taff

Evening, whinge time again.

so we have almost everything ready to go. Plot fenced off, sips almost finalised. Awaiting UFH confirmation for upstairs.  Windows ordered, just need survey when sips erected. ASHP sorted. Water/sewerage paid for, electric provided to plot just needs meter but waiting for name of house to be registered. Just about to finalise the MVHR etc etc. However! ? contractors! We are using architect along with main contractor. We were planning to start early Jan however, they have run over on their last job so 24th feb it was rescheduled too which we weren’t too fussed as the weather was horrendous. Architect says 24th feb  to enable works fencing off hardcore/ vehicle parking delivery area etc. Then full steam ahead 1-2 weeks after that. We have a contract drawn up with all the key dates and the end date remaining the same as the January start, was pleased with this as we are renting.  So this is the 3rd week and all we have is the fencing. Which we’ve had for 3 weeks. Not a mm of soil excavated. Feel like I want to shout and scream but feel I cannot as all they need to do is finish on the date to the right standard they are contracted too, we have a progress meeting on the 27th and know I should just chill until this date. just keen to get things started, however, if this is just the start I’m beginning to think unreliable. Would anyone else be shouting and screaming! I’ve emailed the architect to ask the question, no response as of yet. I don’t want to upset anyone as it’ll take months and months to find another suitable company. Any thoughts? Whinge over 

How would you feel if you were the customer from the previous job, your job is over running and your contractor says to you sorry we cannot do all the extras you want as we have to go and start another job. 

Unless you have worked in this industry I don’t think anybody can understand the stress placed on contractors. 

Chill out. 

I agree with be patient but on the flip side, it would have been nice of the builders or architect to let you know there would be another delay - just so you can plan your life around it

Sorry, I am going to ruin the chill.

This is the kind of nonsense that my builder came up with.

Firstly, If the start date has moved from early January to Feb 24th, how exactly is the end date the same? Were they planning to finish 6 weeks early previously. How often do builders finish early. They are not able to start because they are over running 6 weeks on their previous job, why won't your job also over run. Maybe they have a better idea now that the contract has been written up, but I would seriously question it.

Secondly, they have already slipped from what you originally thought, so in three weeks you just have a fence and they are already 1-2 weeks behind the schedule that you thought you were on.

My builder did this all the time. Every time he was delayed he said he would work faster to finish at the same time. Yet the evidence at that point was that stuff takes longer than he says not less time.

I am not saying that you need to worry or hassle the builder. You just have to realise that they are notoriously optimistic with timing and there is a very good chance that you will be finished later than expected.

What exactly does the contract say about them over running? They will just blame the weather etc and say they couldn't help it.

Go visit the site they are currently working on. It's common for builders to line up the next job way early. If you visit you can see if they stand any chance of coming to you soon.

14 minutes ago, Temp said:

.... If you visit you can see if they stand any chance of coming to you soon.

Change can to might be able to judge perhaps? 

Our  so called builders had too many jobs on the go at the same time. Took ages to find out what was going on.  At one stage they had five jobs running at the same time, and only 5 blokes all working on the same job : they were over-trading.

@Taff, put delay to good use. Plan, plan, plan.

• Like 1

Yep back to reality now, beginning to think that I would like to manage the site to over see things but not experienced enough and perhaps  too scary. It’s all just very very scary and not being in control annoys me a tad. I’ve tried to find out where they are working, nothing as of yet I’ll persevere with that. Written in the contract if they overrun they will be penalised 1k  per month (rent money), if they overrun through no fault of their own for example 6 foot of snow/covid19 etc then there’s no penalty.  There’s also a planner which clearly states there should be a spade in the ground!

Plan is is now to plan plan plan  (good advice ?), think back plan required just in case 

D8482240-7CE4-4E2D-967F-B25872A50CB1.jpeg

Our builders comprised the builder himself, and two others. One of these I guess you could call site foreman and the other primarily worked wood but both could do just about anything, for example they dug the foundations and tiled the roof together. Other trades were contracted as required (eg plastering, electrics).

The builder would normally be on site first and last thing. eg to open and lock up. In the evening he did a bit of a walk around putting stuff away and discussing what had been done and what was planned for the next day. One of the most important jobs was ensuring that they had everything they needed for the next days work. If they needed anything then either the builder or the foreman would go to the builders merchants on the way home or on the way in. Basically he went to great lengths to ensure nobody had an excuse not to work or go off site during the day.

Reason I mention all this is if you want to keep updated on your project figure out how yours works and perhaps arrange to be there for the walk around, help him secure stuff etc.

Think there’s a bit further to dig away on that side, well I hope so cos it looks rather small. The garden drops away so hopefully they will build it up or something. Failing that couple of pallets under the carpet will be ok ? 

View from other side seems deeper. Popping up the weekend with tape measure and wellies 25BC3973-27EE-422C-B159-8E64C0A1A402.thumb.jpeg.511c348c856bbae14c569d60cc05fd34.jpegThink there’s a bit further to dig away on that side, well I hope so cos it looks rather small. The garden drops away so hopefully they will build it up or something. Failing that couple of pallets under the carpet will be ok ? 

Other side