New build internet

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I could not work out why I was being hit with adverts fir women’s shoes, dresses and handbags till I twigged er indoors uses my iPad ?

( honest judge! )

Obviously no anti tracker or ad blocker installed?

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

actually I don’t mind adverts for subjects I am interested in!

It's not just adverts, though.  These big datasets on individuals can be used for everything from enabling insurers to vary premiums (or refuse cover) based on data that's been collected, to enabling financial institutions to adjust how they deal with you.  In countries with private health care the data can be used to determine how much you pay for health care. 

Big data enables selective and personalised treatment of individuals based on covert data acquisition from their "private" lives.  The big companies that are gathering all this data (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc) know far more about individuals than any government.  They know key financial information, age, address, 'phone numbers, email addresses, devices used, everything searched for, bought, or looked at on any connected device, patterns of work, holidays, your sex life, you name it, they know it.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, pocster said:

A friend of mine got one of those recently, she's never had a landline to her house. I've just had it on loan down at the site to check the signal (EE is pants there) for a few days and I'm mightily impressed.  Download speed isn't incredible but even without an external antenna it holds onto the signal well.

• Thanks 1

I ditched my landline just over 1 year ago run 3 unlimited at £20 per month sometimes useage is near 700gb  no problems and runs between 25 and 75mbps depending on time of day.

Huawei B593 wihout ext aerial  connected to tp link 5 port switch. 

Wifi over 3 floors seems very good.

Try open signal app for speed test and Mast data website for which operators are nearby.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JOE187 said:

I ditched my landline just over 1 year ago run 3 unlimited at £20 per month sometimes useage is near 700gb  no problems and runs between 25 and 75mbps depending on time of day.

Huawei B593 wihout ext aerial  connected to tp link 5 port switch. 

Wifi over 3 floors seems very good.

Try open signal app for speed test and Mast data website for which operators are nearby.

You should work for Three ? - think I'll go for it!

Right, I want to get rid of my land line, mobile signal is sketchy and would like it better indoors, need wifi (fir buildhub etc!) I don’t stream tv yet,!.  What can I do to make sure my mobile signal is good enough, I am prepared to put an external aerial up?

edit, just done a “3” availability checker and ok fir 4g, then it was suggested I try “Super voice 4g” Black spots is what I suffer from.

You're all set; you're in a 4G Super-Voice area and your phone is compatible, so you'll soon notice your signal smashing through indoor blackspots

Edited by joe90

I'm currently using an Android phone tethered by USB to an Asus RT-N66U router, and am getting 14Mbps download and 10.6Mbps upload (adequate download and much better upload than my previous landline), with 30ms ping & 11ms jitter. That's on an LTE connection with reasonable signal strength (-94dBm).

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

Got the Huawei 535 today .

As expected indoors is poo poor - struggle to get 2 steady strength bars . Upload around 2mb, download 4mb

Ordered the Omni directional aerial - see if that fairs better . Tested this at home not at its final destination I.e my build .

I don’t have a landline. Everything is via 500gb EE sim. About 70MB up and down. Latency is super low. Not planning to get a land line in the new build either as it would cost a lot due to remote location. I can only see mobile getting better and cheaper personally. I’m currently living in an old very thick walled cottage and have no issues. However if the signal is not great there are some good aerials out there. I think directional is what you want though (think satellite dish). 

• Like 1

i have a Huawei b525 with a smarty (3) sim and a poynting xpol1 external aerial, although the external aerial isnt actually mounted externally yet as i havent got that far yet

something that i found without the external aerial was that even slight movements made a difference to the signal strength. i am lookign at changing to an EE sim as i dont get a brilliant signal with the smarty sim but for £18.75/ month for an unlimited sim that is on a 1 month rolling contract i am not sure if i want to sign up for a full 12 month contract with EE although i know for a fact that the EE signal will be many multiples better

4 hours ago, Hobbiniho said:

i have a Huawei b525 with a smarty (3) sim and a poynting xpol1 external aerial, although the external aerial isnt actually mounted externally yet as i havent got that far yet

something that i found without the external aerial was that even slight movements made a difference to the signal strength. i am lookign at changing to an EE sim as i dont get a brilliant signal with the smarty sim but for £18.75/ month for an unlimited sim that is on a 1 month rolling contract i am not sure if i want to sign up for a full 12 month contract with EE although i know for a fact that the EE signal will be many multiples better

What prices are you seeing from EE?

We don't get a three signal at all, but get a good EE signal, but I don't  see anything that comes anywhere close to the cheap unlimited deals that three offer.

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What prices are you seeing from EE?

We don't get a three signal at all, but get a good EE signal, but I don't  see anything that comes anywhere close to the cheap unlimited deals that three offer.

yes unfortunately because 3 are not on the cheaper 4g infrastructure . 3 are the only company for that I the U.K.. I went with a business EE plan at 500gb at £60 per month. They do cheaper ones if you need less data. TBH I could get a cheaper one but my company pays for it . Both myself and my wife work from home and we stream all music and TV over the net and usually use about 250GB . I do lots of big uploads and download for work as well. Might want to check out the business plans