Wrong meter number on bill

Temp

Elderly relative is moving into a nursing home and I'll probably have to sort out her bills for her. Have just noticed that the last digit of her electricity meter number is wrong on the bill. Something like bill says WX06430 when it says WX06436 on the meter itself.

What are the chances two flats have been paying each others electric bill for 15 years?

I a previous buy to let we had, I found between tenants that the peak and off peak readings were reversed on the bill.  It took months to sort it out.  I had two visits from a meter reader both agreed the readings were transposed and submitted the correct readings, but nothing changed on the bills.  It took lots and lots of arguing to get that sorted. It was further complicated as they had to contact previous tenants to correct their past bills.

9 hours ago, Temp said:

What are the chances two flats have been paying each others electric bill for 15 years?

1) Locate the flashing neon on the meter, or if possible both meters. (If necessary switch a large load on and off)

2) Switch off any heating by electricity so that the neon only flashes every 10 seconds or so.

3) Switch on a kettle

4) The neon will now flash every 1 to 2 seconds

5) This will identify which meter is measuring the kettle (and flat) power

6) Check a bill with actual (even a self read) not an estimated reading corresponds with the meter you believe to be hers

The meter is actually inside her flat so I know exactly which meter is hers. Its just the number on the bill doesn't match whats on the meter. It will take me awhile to work out if her meter readings and bills agree with each other.  

Very little chance of me finding who has the other meter or even if it exists. Its a block of 20-30 warden controlled flats and most of the other occupiers are pretty elderly. Can just imagine the reaction I'd get knocking on all the doors asking to see their meter with no ID. Don't fancy a cold cell while they check me out.

Edited by Temp

Have just remembered that her storage heaters appeared to be switched off at the wall two weeks ago. If she hasn't been using those for heating the bills are likely to be wrong and too high.  Can't do much for now, as it seems nobody has a Power of Attorney.  

My daughter lives alone in a two bed coach house next door (attached) to a 3-bed house occupied by a family of four. The places were new 3 years or so when both she and her neighbours moved in. She has recently noticed that the meter number quoted on her bill is not the one on her meter. Turns out she's been paying the electricity bill for next door and vice versa but is having quite a battle to get the utility co to refund what she's overpaid.