Plumbing: logical? Naaaahhhh. So how the Hell do you ....

ToughButterCup

Connect 25mm MDPE with (say) 15mm HEP2o eh? Answer me that oh Internet Sages (all)

An hour's digging unearthed this from Mr Wavin (not drowning)

I would like to joint my Cold Water Blue MDPE Pipe with 15mm Hep2O barrier pipe for an outside tap. Is it okay to use?
Hep2O is for internal use, however if it is used externally it will need to be protected from frost and UV light. Please note we do not have a connection between 15mm Hep2O and 20mm or 25mm MDPE.

https://blog.wavin.co.uk/push-fit-hep2o-your-plumbing-faqs-answered/ accessed today.

Oh yes Mr Wavin you do  . You do a Stop Tap 25mm MDPE to HEP

Give me one good reason (one that passes the joint  @SteamyTea, @Temp, @Jeremy Harris, @Ed Davies, @ProDave test) why they don't do that.

Oooooh, I got cross, so I rang their Help line (on the 01 number not the PayThroughTheNoseNumber)

Tech support: "We dont do it, because we don't do it" + burble about using it outside

Muggins:         "Do you assume that Plumbers would be stupid enough to use it outside then?"

Tech support:  tied himself in knots.

Muggins: So what's to stop a Plumber fitting the 25MDPE to HEP Stop Tap outside then, eh?

Tech support:  tied himself in double knots.

Plumbers cannot be held by Wavin in sufficient contempt to assume that they would use HEP outside  ---- would they ---- would they?

Mmmmm. Thats a head scratcher innit?

So, it's Tee off into copper and then onwards and upwards in HEP then?

You can get 25 - 15mm "Reducing couplers". Takes 25mm MDPE and 15mm plastic or copper pipe...

https://www.bes.co.uk/25-mm-x-15-mm-mdpe-x-polyfit-adaptor-polypipe-18155?ref=gs&photo=true&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmsrxBRDaARIsANyiD1rofPhP08F0DLxy6Z7-tqLEefJ8MZL_vLbe2xcIBpV3OI1xfAC--i4aAr9AEALw_wcB

Most of the "unequal T's" or "Reducing T's" seem to be 25mm down to 20mm.

Edited by Temp

Thanks @Temp, but Wavin don't like you doing that - 's Polyfit innit - Verboten.

And when I suggested that Wavin should do the same as Polyfit, yer man protested as outlined above.

Is it altogether stupid to Tee off 25mm MDPE , attach a Polyfit reducer to the Tee - and then use HEP for the rest?

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, pilgrim said:

I am trying to solve this same problem at the moment. Is there a better solution for this now?

Does fitting the Hep2o pipe in this JG stop cock work? 

Thanks

Use copper?!

If someone turns up to site and says they’ll install any make of pushfit pipe externally, ask them to get back in their van and look for less of an idiot. 

I’ve just finished 1st fixing a clients entire house in Hep2o and have handed over to a 2nd fix plumber that the client sourced. 
Muppet has put JG Speedfit inserts and JG fittings onto the ends of my Hep2o pipe runs, right next to the last hep2o fittings, in plain view, and connected the sinks / basins with what he clearly regularly uses. I even left Hep2o fittings on site. Ffs 🤬

No circling / collars on them, to stop the JG stuff from doing their party-trick ( slowly unscrew themselves and blow off the pipe ), and they’re getting boxed in. Tres bien 😕

Guess I’ll now go and cut those out and do them properly.

Seriously…..why do I bother?!?!?

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If someone turns up to site and says they’ll install any make of pushfit pipe externally, ask them to get back in their van and look for less of an idiot. 

on 25mm MDPE? I used the JG speedfit on my incoming water, theres 7 of them buried under whats going to be my driveway and parking. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

35 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use copper?!

I’ve just finished 1st fixing a clients entire house in Hep2o and have handed over to a 2nd fix plumber that the client sourced. 
Muppet has put JG Speedfit inserts and JG fittings onto the ends of my Hep2o pipe runs, right next to the last hep2o fittings, in plain view, and connected the sinks / basins with what he clearly regularly uses. I even left Hep2o fittings on site. Ffs 🤬

No circling / collars on them, to stop the JG stuff from doing their party-trick ( slowly unscrew themselves and blow off the pipe ), and they’re getting boxed in. Tres bien 😕

Guess I’ll now go and cut those out and do them properly.

Seriously…..why do I bother?!?!?

Ok thank you, so best to use a section of copper to link the MDPE to the Hep2o,

Sorry I didnt say this is inside the house, I've got the 25mm MDPE coming inside from the water meter. no external plumbing for me yet!

1 hour ago, Barryscotland said:

on 25mm MDPE? I used the JG speedfit on my incoming water, theres 7 of them buried under whats going to be my driveway and parking. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

Apologies. JG underground stuff is push on and forget. All good there afaic.

The above ground ( domestic internal ) stuff is shart. Every single time I see these fittings they’ve started undoing themselves. 
I’ve seen the collars that prevent this from happening, fitted, prob a half dozen times in 25 years. Not many merchants even bother stocking them. 

2 hours ago, pilgrim said:

Ok thank you, so best to use a section of copper to link the MDPE to the Hep2o,

Sorry I didnt say this is inside the house, I've got the 25mm MDPE coming inside from the water meter. no external plumbing for me yet!

If it’s internal, then it’s ok to use pushfit immediately from that fitting. However, you cannot ( should not ) put JG into Hep2o and vice versa. So, use a bit of copper as you say, and a Hep2o straight connector and then onto Hep2o pipe to be 100% kosher. :) 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 2