Box profile roofing thread

ProDave

• 2 months later...

Fitted the barge boards today. Here's what I ended up doing at the apex- a single board cut and bent in the middle to provide amore  weathertight cap. I scored and then folded the cut edge so as to preserve the PVC coating, and gave any bare metal a quick going over with a can of zinc spray.

Maybe a bit OTT but it worked out quite well.

Pic shows the barge board from the inside, prior to bending it to match the ridge angle.

image.jpg

Once these are up; the join (overlap at the ridge) will be all but invisible from the ground but some folk like to set it off with a diamond shape of wood to match the cladding.

Matter of taste really but one hutting neighbour spent ages with a jig saw making animal silhouettes...a rabbit and duck if I recall.

Lots of people stop, comment and smile away?

However, it's nice to add a makers mark due you your build being as near as damn a 100% solo creation.

Worth a thought...

I did think about a wee cover piece, but I had visions of it splitting and falling off and generally being a bit of a pain to maintain.

But you have given me an idea... I have a friend who does wood carving, might see if he's up for doing something. But then it wouldn't be all my work... hmmm...

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread. Anyone have the kahunas to risk a box profile on a garage with 3" of fall over 3m?! Obviously against manufacturers recommendations but I've come across fibre cement roofing at similarly low pitches which hadn't leaked. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2018 at 20:30, Oz07 said:

Reviving this thread. Anyone have the kahunas to risk a box profile on a garage with 3" of fall over 3m?! Obviously against manufacturers recommendations but I've come across fibre cement roofing at similarly low pitches which hadn't leaked. 

You’ve got 1:33 or so, that’s not a shallow slope and will shed water quickly. The wall detail will be the main point to get right as it’s there that water may pool if it snows etc. Worth looking at ensuring that is as watertight as possible and the lower end is free flowing. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

You’ve got 1:33 or so, that’s not a shallow slope and will shed water quickly. The wall detail will be the main point to get right as it’s there that water may pool if it snows etc. Worth looking at ensuring that is as watertight as possible and the lower end is free flowing. 

I have a conservatory which is approx 100mm over 4.2m, and that has been fine except when the wind blew water back under the point where the flashing attached not quite sufficiently to the roof.

if you use a formed piece of roofing at the wall that should be OK .. I used the original Ubiflex, which was problably a bit too much Ubiunflex. THe lighter version of that should be fine, or a formed piece.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

will be mono pitch spanning two brickwork walls. Will bargeboard be suitable at top end? (with roof sheets slightly proud of wall) then maybe line of silicone on underside at bottom to stop capillary. I'd prefer cement sheets so no condensation but can't seem to get at over 3m

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, we're new to the forum and learning lots by reading and making notes.

We are looking for some advice on flashings for Fakro rooflights that we are fitting into a box profile roof. 

We would really appreciate if anybody could share any experiences in this matter.