Box profile roofing thread

ProDave

There are a couple of us looking at box profile roofing so I have started this thread to talk about it.

My first question is where to buy it from. Direct from a roofing supplier? builders merchant?

My own roof on a rough measurement is a pitched roof, about 2.1 metres from ridge to eaves, about 3.6 metres wide on each side. Shallow pitch (I need to actually measure it)

This is the first box profile roof I have done. It all looks obvious but here are my questions:

I want to buy the sheets the exact length I need so I don't have to cut them.

I believe the sheets are a standard width a little under 1 metre. I take it it's okay to "adjust" the length by perhaps a greater overlap on one section rather than to cut sheets.  What is the "standard" overlap? 1 box? 2 boxes? or more?

I assume the ridge piece has to be ordered to match the pitch of the roof.

At the end (verge) it is covered by an L shaped piece. I have a 150mm thick timber verge and I want that completely covered by the L shaped end piece. I have seen these quoted as 150mm or 200mm. I guess I need the 200mm one as it has to cover the thickness of the box profile as well as my timber verge.  What is the depth of the box section typically?

I've been using http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk for quick quotes and info.

In my case I'm going for corrugated, which has a profile thickness of 19mm and a cover width of 990mm. They have info for the box sections too, and these things appear to be pretty much standard (box profiles being either 32/1000 or 34/1000, IIRC).

I'm not going for insulated sheets (no point, as they have a ventilated/drained space under them) but I am thinking of getting the anticondensation flocking.

Edit- used wrong url, oops.

Edited by Crofter
Too early in the morning

When I was looking at metal roofing, I spoke to and had a quote from  http://planwell.co.uk/

Planwell Profile sheets - £15 per m2 inc sheets, ridge and barge flashings, fixings and delivery.

IIRC Planwell will supply in whatever finished length you want.  They were certainly very helpful on the phone.

I also looked at Tata Colorcoat Urban Standing Seam - £30 per m2 inc sheets, ridge, verge, valley, ventilation, fixings and tools. Exc delivery £650.

I used Coverworld for my conservatory replacement roof. This is Chesterfield.

http://www.coverworld.co.uk/

The roof has been robust for several years, but I felt gouged on £50 delivery for around 6 miles on a £400 order. Otherwise they were great to deal with. Very happy to take smallish orders.

My comment would be choose widths narrow enough to go on your trailer and collect it yourself. Say 2.4m wide x2 would also be easier to handle on site.I have had no problems with wicking through joints between sheets.

A family member did their terraced read add-on with the insulation-attached stuff and found it an expensive pain to work with eg cutting.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Planwell have been recommended to me by various people but I found them quite expensive. The salesmen from BMs who invited themselves onto my site both claimed they could easily undercut Planwell.

Any thoughts on the anti-con lining? It was suggested to me by a builder who was up on holiday and nosying around my site, but he did seem to know what he was talking about.

I will have to cost the anti condensation lining. In theory it's not needed, but would give the roofing membrane less to do I suppose.  I wired one house that had a box profile roof that continued as bare metal  beyond the edge of the house to cover a verandah. In cold frosty weather, as it warmed up in the morning it "rained" a lot under there.

Joining them is not the issue. Waste is. My roof is 3.6 metres long, so a 3M length and a 1M length would do nicely. Having to buy two 3M lengths is just "wrong" I can see me designing my wood shed to be a pitched roof 2M long JUST to use up the offcut.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Joining them is not the issue. Waste is. My roof is 3.6 metres long, so a 3M length and a 1M length would do nicely. Having to buy two 3M lengths is just "wrong" I can see me designing my wood shed to be a pitched roof 2M long JUST to use up the offcut.

Blimey we'll make a teuchter of you yet!

I used a company called Excelclad for my box profile roofing sheets.

http://www.excelclad.co.uk

Even though they are based in Shropshire and I'm building on Skye, they were cheaper than Planwell and the local merchants, even with the delivery costs.  My roofing contractor was most impressed with the quality and reckons they are superior to anything he has used before, so much so that he said he would use them on a regular basis. Also a very helpful and friendly company to deal with and they offer a greater range of colours than most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattyjohn said:

I used a company called Excelclad for my box profile roofing sheets.

http://www.excelclad.co.uk

Even though they are based in Shropshire and I'm building on Skye, they were cheaper than Planwell and the local merchants, even with the delivery costs.  My roofing contractor was most impressed with the quality and reckons they are superior to anything he has used before, so much so that he said he would use them on a regular basis. Also a very helpful and friendly company to deal with and they offer a greater range of colours than most.

Hmm I might pop round for a look, if that's alright!

I've been wondering about this too. I think I have seen various pieces of metal for this, that match whatever profile ridge you have (e.g. If you have a rolltop one). I think they look a bit 'sheddy' myself and so I am planning on just leaving one barge board intact, and the overlapping one cut plumb, and fixed over the top. Of course that means making good the cut metal using a reasonably well matched paint.

8 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

barge covers go to top of roof, ridge fits flush to them.

This needs a picture of a complete box profile roof showing the gable end.

To my mind, the barge covers will meet and overlap partly at the roof pitch, and will look unfinished. Some sort of cover is needed to cover the joint, just as with a tiled rood the end ridge tile has an end on it to hang down and cover the joint.

I suppose in my case I could make up a little diamond shaped piece from larch,matching the cladding, might look quite nice.

If I get time today I will have a look at some steel roofs near me and post a few pics.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

To my mind, the barge covers will meet and overlap partly at the roof pitch, and will look unfinished. Some sort of cover is needed to cover the joint, just as with a tiled rood the end ridge tile has an end on it to hang down and cover the joint.

That's exactly how it's done on ours, and to be honest it doesn't look that bad. At a glance, the join is hardly noticeable and in my opinion anything placed over it will just look fussy and spoil the clean lines of the roof. If @Crofter hasn't beaten me to it, I'll try and post a pic tomorrow!

On the ridge if you have one, if you make your pitch 45 degrees each side you can use the same L-shaped barge boards for the ridge.

Suspect that if you are say 35, 40 or 42 degrees pitch they will just flex elegantly when you screw them down.

Simples.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks for the picture. so you cut one of the verge angles like that I take it?

Next question:

I assume you can buy a filler piece (foam or something better) to fill in the box sections at the eaves to stop vermin, birds nesting up there etc? (ventilation is already taken care of as it will sit on a vent strip)