Stove fans

Thedreamer

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Heard on You & Yours some marketing person talking about 'emotional mechanics' today.

That should cover any effect nicely.

I'm definitely going to use that in our next UI design meeting and see how may sheep agree with me like any of us know what it means. 

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Very mesmerising they are. Stirling engines in action!

Whilst they could no doubt be built based on a Stirling engine, that would take some half decent engineering.

Most of them are simply a little peltier effect generator driving a small dc motor.  The "fins" on the top are to try and cool the upper half to maintain a temperature difference between that and the bottom part heated by the stove.

I have been using one for 6 years, it was quite expensive but I went on the reviews and it’s been working great, as I live In An uninsulated house the fire is on a lot during winter and this fan has raked up thousands of hours !  I am sure cheeper ones are great but I prefer to spend my cash once and not be disappointed by a noisy fan or failing parts. I have recommended this one to friends who have not complained at all. If you have a big high ceiling then an overhead fan is very good at moving the air around. 

4F2659F8-5516-4826-9EC9-C10711415EA6.jpeg

None of them are pretty are they?

ive got one but can’t say I notice much difference but it was £30.

good witchcraft though-no batteries visible at all, reckon it’s like a watch battery hidden somewhere you can’t find.

If you paint one of the fan blades white and get stoned on the teenagers green, it can be a talking-point when the conversation dries up...

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I just had a quick look at a small domestic wind turbine.

This little 1 kW jobby needs a rotor diameter of 1.8m and a wind speed of 12.5 m.s-1 (28 MPH)

https://futurenergy.co.uk/domestic-wind-turbines/airforce1/

I would be dubious that they can deliver more than a few watts about.

You can buy something similar sized on ebay from China for a couple of £hundred.  At that price I might one day take a punt more for fun than real expectation of significant generation.  A bit like micro hydro from our burn that will probably only produce 100W so would need to be REALLY cheap.

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Whilst they could no doubt be built based on a Stirling engine, that would take some half decent engineering.

Most of them are simply a little peltier effect generator driving a small dc motor.  The "fins" on the top are to try and cool the upper half to maintain a temperature difference between that and the bottom part heated by the stove.

The ones with the pistons are aren't they? That's what I meant.

Similar to the one I bought my lad that you can sit atop a cup of tea.