Is this the most bonkers bit of building you ever saw?

Probably not but I thought it might be fun to see if there are any other bonkers building pics out there. This house has been up for sale for a long time perhaps because it has a built in power / telegraph pole, which I suppose is not suitable for dancing.

20191027_090942.jpg

I don't have any pictures but the house next to us where I grew up as a boy had major subsidence issues.  It was a pair of Victorian semi's.  Basically the dividing party wall had sunk, and both houses sloped downwards to the middle.  

Eventually the owner of one half bought the other so he now owned the pair.  He then spent years "repairing" them, starting with digging up the floors to underpin the party wall. Then he one at a time completely took down and rebuilt the entire front walls so they now all look square again.  The only bit he didn't do was the back wall on the T extension that still has a slight slope to it.

For all that work, most other people would have just knocked down the pair, and given it's location built a 3 storey set of flats.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Slightly related but visited a friend on Saturday who had moved into a new build (major developer). He commented that the lounge was drafty...........?

Found 3 windows like this. 

QUALITY! 

2019-10-27_16-52-52.jpg.e154e29727f9c4ecc4344d5ae611da6e.jpg

How on earth did that pass an air tightness test?

11 minutes ago, Ralph said:

How on earth did that pass an air tightness test?

It most probably wasn't ever tested.  Mass house builders don't have every house inspected or air tested, they are trusted to make all their houses the same as the small sample of houses that actually do get inspected. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

It most probably wasn't ever tested.  Mass house builders don't have every house inspected or air tested, they are trusted to make all their houses the same as the small sample of houses that actually do get inspected. 

Just read this from an air leakage testing compliance engineer who was trying to blow the whistle on volume builders in 2016.

“obviously any new home will eventually pass an air leakage test due to the amount of mastic and expanding foam used everywhere to seal gaps. But what I see on a daily basis – and this is pretty much every house tested – is mastic being applied to the bottom of skirting boards and under kitchen units and baths with larger holes being filled with expanding foam. Then the air test is carried out and it passes. What follows is all the mastic is then cut out before the carpet fitters fit the carpets!

This is standard practice and I feel a total fraud by passing these buildings but it’s what I’m paid to do. I tested one house that failed due to air leakage from all the skirting boards around the house, the builder then applied mastic under all the skirtings, expecting me back first thing the next morning. I didn’t get there until the early afternoon, by which time the carpet fitters had cut it all out! I tested it and it failed due to leakage from the skirting! The builder then re masticed the skirtings whilst I waited, I retested it and it passed. While I was packing my testing equipment away the mastic was cut out again! This is not a one off but something that is going on all the time.”

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Slightly related but visited a friend on Saturday who had moved into a new build (major developer). He commented that the lounge was drafty...........?

Found 3 windows like this. 

QUALITY! 

2019-10-27_16-52-52.jpg.e154e29727f9c4ecc4344d5ae611da6e.jpg

so depressing when this is the norm....... thank god for this forum spreading the good word on what is actually possible if one is willing to educate themselves.

15 minutes ago, Cpd said:

so depressing when this is the norm....... thank god for this forum spreading the good word on what is actually possible if one is willing to educate themselves.

Alas “joe public” in their masses are highly unlikely to be reading this forum. Hence why the mass developers are selling tens of thousands of units a year.

We here are the significant minority! 

I got asked to leave a development a couple of months back after I started pointing out all the issues with a new house ... The site manager told me I was trespassing and they “could call the police...” which was kind of ironic given I was stood on the road with a friend who’s a copper .... kwalitee in new builds is appalling .!!!

• Like 1

When we were looking around at different build options, we were invited by a timber frame company to look at a small development of 6 houses they were building.  Part way through being shown around, the sales chap was called away to the site hut to take a 'phone call, leaving us in one of the houses with a chap that was busy taping up inside.  I asked a few questions, and the chap volunteered the information that the taping was for the third attempt to get an airtightness pass.  He also added that it was a good job that they didn't need to faff around wasting time like this on the others, as only one of the six needed to be tested...

Things I spotted just walking around for half an hour were badly fitting/missing cavity wall bats, no cavity closers around windows, the poor approach to airtightness and generally poor build quality pretty much everywhere.  Worst bit was having to be polite to the sales chap whilst making an excuse to just go home, as we'd seen enough to be cross that firm off our list.

When I was looking for a plot I stopped outside any nice looking houses I saw under construction to speak to the builder. I was amazed how many were happy to show me around before they had covered up their appalling workmanship. Either they didn't 

know it was bad or they didn't think I would know what I was looking at. I remember one in particular opened a cupboard door to show me an UFH manifold that had just been installed and it was a right mess.

They always gave me a business card but quite a few went in the skip as I walked off site. 

Tip for anyone looking to choose a builder... Most will offer to take you to house they have built for someone but it's far better to see one they currently have under construction if you can.

• Like 1

It is not just the big boys. We have just heard that one of the houses on a small development near us is going on the market. The owner's reason for selling is the poor quality of finish inside. This build was managed by the builder himself so he cannot blame anyone buy himself.

How the house owner is going to sell now that the cat is out of the bag I do not know. I don't suppose the other owners are impressed at his whistle blowing!