Norwich council houses entered for the Stirling prize

joe90

Just watched the news and the bit about a council housing estate in Norwich that has made it to the short list on the Stirling prize for architecture. Thick walls (insulated?) sun orientated, no letter boxes (MVHR and airtight?) and very child friendly and social. Let’s hope it is what it seems and others follow this example.     Discuss.......

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Very interesting but which one is the affordable house they are selling at 80% of the market value ?

Is this the right to buy thing?. I don't see why that should happen (putting tin hat on,!!).

I'm just being sarcastic. Planners expect developers to sell a proportion of the houses on a new estate at less than 80% of the market value and require any buyer to do the same via a clause in the contract. Obviously these aren't for sale but how much would they loose if they were sold off? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2019 at 16:02, nod said:

Wow 

not cheap

Relatively cheap for high quality design and build social housing in that neck of the woods given recent cost inflation. Some of the big English social landlords have paused their development programmes (for sale to cross-subsidise affordable) as the numbers just don't stack up.

On 09/10/2019 at 07:22, SteamyTea said:

So if a house was 80m2, that is £150000.

Probably pretty cheap for Norwich.

Doesn't include land costs. But presumably yes. 

In general terms it does send out a very positive message about the social value of good design and the public sector should be leading the way in making better places, so glad to see it won albeit it's not quite to my tastes. Some very nice little sustainability features like the brise soleil canopies. 

• Like 1