Bathroom starts !

I seem to remember flagging up issues with removing adhesive and the levelling things...

On 27/08/2020 at 14:36, Mr Punter said:

That is looking really good.  It is worth removing the surplus adhesive from the tiles before it goes off.

On 27/08/2020 at 15:27, Mr Punter said:

Are you employing the technique of bathing in tile adhesive and throwing yourself at the wall?

It does look good but maybe try to keep stuff cleaner if possible.  Are those levelling things reusable?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I seem to remember flagging up issues with removing adhesive and the levelling things...

Yeah yeah yeah ! ??

I’ve got all but 3 of the levelling things out . 2 have snapped though - these are a problem . The metal in them is surprisingly hard - would give up and cut them . But need a real tight cut so they don’t stick through the grout . Tricky with a gap of 2mm

78D6CD7E-9ADA-4076-8A5B-C62FB1E7D0CD.jpeg

E7A85340-AF20-40E0-8DBB-F5F53C85B87B.jpeg

Just those 2 metal bits to get out . The longer ( unsnapped ) one looks like it’s hooked under the tile above but skewed I.e never coming out . These are hard to cut - I haven’t found a tool that will do it yet 

19 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Trim it with snips and poke it in. It will get covered by the grout. 

Can’t trim it . That’s the problem . It won’t poke in . It’s some kind of hard steel ( thought it be crap as an eBay purchase) .

Dremel it is ! Once I find it !

Grip that metal thing with mole grips...and twist gently left and right. 

Worst that'll happen is you'll leave a bit of metal in there that'll rust then show through the grout line later on! 

...or you could break the tile...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Grip that metal thing with mole grips...and twist gently left and right. 

Worst that'll happen is you'll leave a bit of metal in there that'll rust then show through the grout line later on! 

...or you could break the tile...

Exactly . My dremel skills are unequalled 

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Exactly . My dremel skills are unequalled 

Just been using my "Champion" brand, Dremel clone to make a replacement door handle part in st/st. Bought years ago for the princely sum of £7.95 when the local Focus/Do It All closed down and became Wickes. (Got the 18V circular saw at the same time for £24.95). Must finish the Makita battery adapter for that...

Oh dear . It would appear my wall horizontally isn’t level as it approaches the corner . The levellers have pulled the end tiles in as they should but now with a spirit level running horizontally I can see my tiles are out . Luckily this side will have a sink and wall unit - so hardly any tiles will be visible . What worries me though is when the sink unit is against the wall any silicone will be at varying widths !

Photo’s to follow . Similar problem to @Onoff tiles across the toilet . Can you notice in the Mastik on the pan to wall join the fact the tiles are out ????

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

Oh dear . It would appear my wall horizontally isn’t level as it approaches the corner . The levellers have pulled the end tiles in as they should but now with a spirit level running horizontally I can see my tiles are out . Luckily this side will have a sink and wall unit - so hardly any tiles will be visible . What worries me though is when the sink unit is against the wall any silicone will be at varying widths !

Photo’s to follow . Similar problem to @Onoff tiles across the toilet . Can you notice in the Mastik on the pan to wall join the fact the tiles are out ????

F*** yeah, stands out like a sore thumb!

?

P.S There is a God!

Seriously...I don't think you do tbh? Not my finest hour doing the silicone there, I hadn't yet mastered the Cramer Fugi tools.

Pan was bolted to the wall but not fully. The tiles were then masked with Frog Tape.  Pan was slackened off with a gap which was filled with copious clear CT1. Cleaned up the excess with (Lidl) baby wipes and left to set for 36hrs. The silicone bead was then done in Forever White. It's a bit too thick imo. 

20200829_204859.thumb.jpg.aa3625f437d6d791c4a14a98ef31cf22.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve got a bad feeling to get my tiles level and flat in the corner they need to go into the wall . The stud work must of been a bit out - bending the tile backer board . Photo’s tomorrow. I can think of a nasty solution that Uncle Nick would swoon at .

One of the (many) problems I had was one I guess you'd call accumulative error. Get one tile wrong, at a slight rake, and before you know where you are the adhesive had dried and you have to live with it. My worst was on the dwarf wall/recess over the bath in the corner. 

Viewed as is, today:

20200831_082033.thumb.jpg.3cdc68912dc709f14dd6962e13cdfc94.jpg

Then with the laser on it:

20200831_082242.thumb.jpg.fb2f7ac2d99023ccbf1e61132b98840a.jpg

In reality you live with it and don't notice it.....until some git on a forum forces you to open old wounds! ?

I kick myself everyday as I spent ages aligning the studs and packing everything straight and level to screw it up with the tiling!

Most people tbh walk in and are impressed. All except my pita best mate who admittedly did offer to help with the tiling.

At the end of the day you're DIYing it, you're not a tiler so will have some faux pas moments. 

(The ducks btw are SWMBOs little dig in that she had bought a load of bath toys for the kids when they were younger expecting the bath to go straight in when we bought it in 2010. As the bathroom took so long I think its a case she was still damn well going to get her money's worth ? ).

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

One of the (many) problems I had was one I guess you'd call accumulative error. Get one tile wrong, at a slight rake, and before you know where you are the adhesive had dried and you have to live with it. My worst was on the dwarf wall/recess over the bath in the corner. 

Viewed as is, today:

20200831_082033.thumb.jpg.3cdc68912dc709f14dd6962e13cdfc94.jpg

Then with the laser on it:

20200831_082242.thumb.jpg.fb2f7ac2d99023ccbf1e61132b98840a.jpg

In reality you live with it and don't notice it.....until some git on a forum forces you to open old wounds! ?

I kick myself everyday as I spent ages aligning the studs and packing everything straight and level to screw it up with the tiling!

Most people tbh walk in and are impressed. All except my pita best mate who admittedly did offer to help with the tiling.

At the end of the day you're DIYing it, you're not a tiler so will have some faux pas moments. 

(The ducks btw are SWMBOs little dig in that she had bought a load of bath toys for the kids when they were younger expecting the bath to go straight in when we bought it in 2010. As the bathroom took so long I think its a case she was still damn well going to get her money's worth ? ).

I agree 

I am not a tiler , a plumber , a builder or anything 

So imperfections are expected .

That laser line does show you are out , but if I eye’d it I couldn’t tell .

My errors greater than that !

On site in an hour - so photos to follow ! 

Edited by pocster