Low profile / slim design smoke and heat detectors

I have fairly low ceilings and need both of these things to stick down as little as possible. 

I heard somewhere that one of them "needs" to stick down a certain amount?

But have any of you sought or found a specifically "low profile" set? 

Interlinking and mains powered preferred but I can work on that.

Tia

ED 

I only personally use Aico.  That doesn't address the low profile issue, it just ensures a good quality product.

Aico do a combined heat and CO alarm that may reduce "ceiling clutter" in some rooms, but unfortunately they don't do a combined smoke and CO alarm.

• Like 1

One thing to watch if thinking about making a recess (which seems a good idea) is that some alarms need room to side off sideways from the base and some (like the Kidde ones) need a screwdriver to be pushed into a slot in the base to release the unit.  However, I think it should be possible to make a larger recess to allow access/release movement.

Have you thought about wall mounting them?  No reason why they shouldn't work pretty much as well when mounted high up on a wall as when mounted on the ceiling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Make a little recess in the ceiling - you know, a bit like a downlighter. 

I'll get me coat , Ed

But there's rules!!! And my electrician said that's in them. ? 

One of them definately needs to stick down a certain mount. I just need to find a decent looking pair that are no more than that

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Have you thought about wall mounting them?  No reason why they shouldn't work pretty much as well when mounted high up on a wall as when mounted on the ceiling.

I have but the wires are currently sticking out of the ceiling so it's not ideal. Hence possibly accepting the battery route

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

?I did see that while searching... 

It must be a typo.... Surely...... 

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Just reviving this post in case anybody has found a solution to this conundrum. 

There isn't one, it's just prissy tarts wanting to push boundaries. Like awkward clients who are never happy and just complain because they can.

Live with it. Literally. Buy Aico, follow the instructions, fit and live should the worst happen. 

• Like 2