Wireless Internet connection

I have the house cat cabled so no problem with hardwiring in Mac TV's etc but for phones and ipads use wi fi.  

Up to now it's been good wi-fi signal all around the house but the last week or so its been awful.  Can't get any wifi in bedrooms and none on my phone anywhere in the house.

I am with the dreaded BT and I find I am locked into a contract for another umpteen months so provider change not on.  Broadband on hardwired been no problem that I am aware of.

It could be a few different things that is causing the problem......

all problem devices are apple so maybe some software update glitch on OS

BT broadband has problems and will resolve in due course

Remedy?

Should I wait a while to see what happens or try a signal booster repeater?  I have an old Devolo lurking somewhere or BT are touting their WHW (Whole house wi-fi) which appears to be their own system of boosters.

*Admin if this is in the wrong place please move, I couldn't find a wi-fi section to open the topic 

No 1, re boor your router (turn the power off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on)

If that does not fix it report it to BT, they will almost certainly as a first attempt send you a new router, which might well be a newer version that what you have.

It could be someone else near you has just set up a wifi system and it is clashing with yours, and the re boot may resolve that.

Our plain old BT home hub 4 centrally placed in the under stairs cupboard gives a good signal throughout the whole house.

My own advice is to organise your WiFi completely separately from the broadband router provided by your ISP. This way there's much less friction to shopping around when your contract does come up for renewal.

Ubiquity are considered the king of WiFi APs for home use, but Google WiFi is also pretty good and much easier to setup. (I've used both)

Nice thing with both these is if you do get coverage black spots you can just add more APs to fill them in. The mesh roaming is pretty good. Just make sure to use your CAT cabling to with all the APs back to a central ethernet switch (they can use wireless for the back haul, but it's never as good)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It could be someone else near you has just set up a wifi system and it is clashing with yours, and the re boot may resolve that.

Oh that reminds me: did you recently add any new devices to the network?

My mum has a BT WiFi hub and it generally crashes and won't allow new connections whenever I have used my MacBook on it a while.  

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No 1, re boor your router (turn the power off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on)

If that does not fix it report it to BT, they will almost certainly as a first attempt send you a new router, which might well be a newer version that what you have.

Our plain old BT home hub 4 centrally placed in the under stairs cupboard gives a good signal throughout the whole house.

Thank you.

Done the on off reboot etc No change.  Router is quite new, latest version of BT Home Hub...had alarm man here yesterday for something else and he said if complete settings reset or new router they will have to come out to re do the camera settings as runs via router and reset will knock out settings so although continuing to record will not be viewable on devices.............he said BT first line if reported is usually a complete reset but may have to go that route if can't resolve.

It's so annoying has worked perfectly for a year.  No new neighbours either.

4 minutes ago, joth said:

Oh that reminds me: did you recently add any new devices to the network?

My mum has a BT WiFi hub and it generally crashes and won't allow new connections whenever I have used my MacBook on it a while.  

No new devices.:-(

8 minutes ago, joth said:

My own advice is to organise your WiFi completely separately from the broadband router provided by your ISP. This way there's much less friction to shopping around when your contract does come up for renewal.

Ubiquity are considered the king of WiFi APs for home use, but Google WiFi is also pretty good and much easier to setup. (I've used both)

Nice thing with both these is if you do get coverage black spots you can just add more APs to fill them in. The mesh roaming is pretty good. Just make sure to use your CAT cabling to with all the APs back to a central ethernet switch (they can use wireless for the back haul, but it's never as good)

Baffled.com!!! Will have to google this! Thank you.

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Baffled.com!!! Will have to google this! Thank you.

No problem, feel free to shout if you have questions.

I could make a diagram but I'm sure there's already some good ones out there. 

I'm a bit further down your path but with talk talk. Some days WiFi is good others it's rank poor. After a few heated exchanges on there online chat they eventually sent me a new router.  Result new router was great for about a week then has slowly went back to how the previous one performed.

Next option is either install a system like Google WiFi or ubiquity. So first question is how easily is this to do as the constant ear ache from my kids about poor WiFi is dining me insane!!!

12 minutes ago, joth said:

No problem, feel free to shout if you have questions.

I could make a diagram but I'm sure there's already some good ones out there. 

OK got it.  I can see the google system is the same as the BT WHW (can be used with any broadband provider it says) the Ubiquity  looks a tad more complicated and expensive and I dont mind paying for a good one but it needs to be idiot proof.

Thank you for pointing me at this I had not understood how these systems worked

If your cabled stuff is working well, then not a problem with your actual service.

Are you just expecting too much from a cheap domestic router.

How many wireless devices are connecting? 

You could try changing the Wi-Fi channel. They tend to start at the beginning and stick there. I changed mine to number 8 I think. Mainly because there is 6 houses here, so assumed , 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 could be taken.

Chances are they were all in the first 2.

Made no difference, so now hotspot from my phone and get a very reliable and fast can connection (limited to a 5 MB line where I am, but neighbour is happy to pay for a 20 MB line, mug).

Just now, SteamyTea said:

If your cabled stuff is working well, then not a problem with your actual service.

Are you just expecting too much from a cheap domestic router.

How many wireless devices are connecting? 

You could try changing the Wi-Fi channel. They tend to start at the beginning and stick there. I changed mine to number 8 I think. Mainly because there is 6 houses here, so assumed , 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 could be taken.

Chances are they were all in the first 2.

Made no difference, so now hotspot from my phone and get a very reliable and fast can connection (limited to a 5 MB line where I am, but neighbour is happy to pay for a 20 MB line, mug).

Only 3 ipads and a couple of phones on wi fi so not a lot. Hotspot no good in this situation

I've recently set this one up for the inlaws, pretty much half the price of the Google system for a 3 pack...

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html

Even though it's sold by BT, it's independent of the provider so can be used in the future if you decide to switch. Set up was a doddle, plug one in the back of your main router and then stick one at either end of the house(ish) to get better coverage. 

the main thing with this one (and Google, Ubiq, etc) is to make sure you join the new wireless network, not your old BT router one. Usually best to 'forget' the old BT network in your phone/iPad/laptop settings etc.

6 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

I've recently set this one up for the inlaws, pretty much half the price of the Google system for a 3 pack...

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html

Even though it's sold by BT, it's independent of the provider so can be used in the future if you decide to switch. Set up was a doddle, plug one in the back of your main router and then stick one at either end of the house(ish) to get better coverage. 

the main thing with this one (and Google, Ubiq, etc) is to make sure you join the new wireless network, not your old BT router one. Usually best to 'forget' the old BT network in your phone/iPad/laptop settings etc.

Thank you...thats the one I have just been looking at.  Seems to tick the boxes.

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

5 devices, I think that is the problem.

Too many ...5....WOW! Thats just 2 of us imagine if we had a family here all logged in would be hopeless

During the day there are just 2 and its no different.

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

During the day there are just 2 and its no different.

The router may still be expecting more.

I only have practical experience of setting up networks, but I think some routers have a table in them that fixes IP address when a device connects.  They don't always delete the information when the device is disconnected.  So each time the router cycles though the devices list, it is also checking for devices that are not there.  It may also send out extra information to double check.

So a bit like the postman wanting get a signature for a delivery, finding no one in, knocks again, and maybe a third time, before walking away, then coming back the next day and doing the same.

I may be talking bollocks here, but that is how it was explained to me once.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The router may still be expecting more.

I only have practical experience of setting up networks, but I think some routers have a table in them that fixes IP address when a device connects.  They don't always delete the information when the device is disconnected.  So each time the router cycles though the devices list, it is also checking for devices that are not there.  It may also send out extra information to double check.

So a bit like the postman wanting get a signature for a delivery, finding no one in, knocks again, and maybe a third time, before walking away, then coming back the next day and doing the same.

I may be talking bollocks here, but that is how it was explained to me once.

Every contractor who was on site after wi fi was connected logged into it....I think there is a long list of various devices listed that have no connection to me.  Surely that would have been a problem before the last week or so though?

Obvious question, but what signal strengths are you seeing on your iPads close to the router and at the other end of the house? Worth first working out if it's a signal strength problem or something more complicated.

4 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Obvious question, but what signal strengths are you seeing on your iPads close to the router and at the other end of the house? Worth first working out if it's a signal strength problem or something more complicated.

It drops out totally no wi fi at all and when you ask it to connect again its not easily finding the hub. When I come back to kitchen area nearer hub have no problems at all its full strength