Alan Ambrose
Members-
Posts
3392 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
15
Everything posted by Alan Ambrose
-
new year - it was supposed to get better
Alan Ambrose commented on LSB's blog entry in Little Stud Barn
That is a tough start to the year, condolences and support from your friends here. -
For peace of mind, you can pressure test now rather than wait until you commission the lot.
-
House with revoked PD rights - is it worth it?
Alan Ambrose replied to Luis Pal's topic in Planning Permission
I have a place with PD rights removed. I put in an application and now an appeal to have them reinstated. I’ll let you know the outcome in 9 months . I’m fairly thorough - but the lack of PD rights wasn’t a factor when I bought it - I can’t remember whether I was aware and disregarded or just not aware. So, to answer your last question, I think that most potential buyers won’t notice. Also, I don’t think that reinstating PD rights is ‘impossible’ but just that, most people will opt to put in a planning application for what would otherwise be covered by PD rather than wait out an appeal to remove PD restrictions and then build under PD. I can’t quite figure out your drawings - the first looks like an old drawing submitted for the porch with your annotations on it? Is the second an even older drawing proposing the original 2-storey extension? To answer you other questions - your LPA is giving a fairly firm indication that any other extensions will not be easily allowed. Not impossible, but not that likely. Consequently, value the house assuming you won’t get planning for an extension. Not that you shouldn’t try, just that you shouldn’t pay for the privilege of trying. -
Nice if you're going to do it, may as well do it well...
-
OK I searched for Iceverge and walls on here and didn't come up Trump, so I'm going to have to ask
-
Octopus Energy tariffs
Alan Ambrose replied to Adsibob's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Anyone know what happens to the leccy market - Agile seems to flip between two 'regimes' - near zero or a bit negative overnight (yay, fill ur boots) occasionally and then say 15p overnight. Haven't seen anything else over the last 3 months. -
Design Access Statements and AI. A first look
Alan Ambrose replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
>>> Tell Me oh Chat GPT I like that you're addressing it as a deity. -
@Simplysimon - does that mean you're heading for a 50cm wall thickness by the time you've added rainscreen and service void etc?
-
There's some instructions for checking dimensions here: https://jobs.north-norfolk.gov.uk/media/2627/measuring-pdf-plans.pdf That's probably the technique they're using. Presumably your edited doc looks fairly similar sizing to the original? You have the page size set the same as the original? (File / Properties / Page Size)
-
Of course, there are plenty of steel framed girder constructions - is that an option? Maybe too much time as a kid playing with Meccano or lusting over landrovers but the simplicity of separating the structural frame from the ‘cladding’ appeals a lot.
-
Ah hah, that's what it is. There's one of these frames about a mile away from us, presumably intended as an outbuilding and waiting to be clad. Looking like a very heavy duty greenhouse atm.
-
Liquid screed max depth question
Alan Ambrose replied to Post and beam's topic in Underfloor Heating
>>> Took the liquid screed guys two hours from start to finish to flow the screed. Can I ask - did it end up properly flat? -
I think the basic construction - wall / floor / roof layup and heating system should be described accurately along with the epc in all house transactions. In fact, to get a somewhat accurate epc, the epc person needs to actually know what the layup is and the heating method rather than just guess (officially called 'assume').
-
Octopus Energy tariffs
Alan Ambrose replied to Adsibob's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
@SteamyTea >>>Do you have problems quoting text? Sorry if it bothers you. It is a bit idiosyncratic but I find it more compact and more specific. I use it in email too One of things about the email service was that every reply seemed to be by a different person, so a slightly more involved conversation went round in circles - like talking to a person with no memory at all. The phone service I found better. -
Octopus Energy tariffs
Alan Ambrose replied to Adsibob's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
>>> It could be that Octopus are the best of a bad bunch. >>> I would argue they are one of the best out there, there has got to be a reason they didn’t go bust like so many others Maybe that's the same thing e.g. they're using customer balances to finance their operations instead of ring-fencing them like a solicitors have to. It depends whose morals/efficiency you're comparing against. I've had atrocious service from some of the other suppliers, so that makes Octopus seem 'good'. Have you dealt with their email service? - it seems to have a random reply generator at the other end. -
Octopus Energy tariffs
Alan Ambrose replied to Adsibob's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
It could be that Octopus are the best of a bad bunch. I don’t use the email support as it behaves like a bot and I pay my bills as they arise to avoid the ridiculous build up of huge balances in the supplier’s favour. Agile was fun over xmas when I was being paid for heating up the house overnight. January’s bill was at 17p average, so not great, not bad. I did get advertising standard’s to give them a slap on the wrist for advertising tariffs that they then said were not available. They were able to install a 3P smart meter without making much of a fuss. -
I couldn’t quite figure out whether you’re just planning on re-vamping the insides of existing workshops, or replacing some? Worth looking at the permitted development rules for outbuildings if the latter. Anyway welcome.
-
Actually it strikes me that the simply way of encouraging biodiversity is for each village/town to buy a few acres of farmland cheap and either run it themselves or pay somebody to run it as scrubland/wild flowers/birdseed etc. i was amazed when we let the grass grow a bit (by neglect rather than by intention) on some pasture we had. Next thing there were hawks around hunting for mice and stuff. I suppose a bit of greener/wilder space in the average mass housingdevelopment wouldn’t go amiss. Explaining to the LPA what I’m doing re birdboxes etc? Nextthey’ll want to send someone round to monitor how long the grass is.
-
Yes, Local Planning Authority. I see, for instance, https://www.davidcosby.co.uk/watercolour-planning-drawings/ Of course, that means there is a market which is helpful. It could be that Mr Cosby might chat to you and give you some advice - maybe, maybe not, but worth a try. I would have liked to have used a service like that. I have some photo-montage renderings for my designs - they show the combination of the CAD building in its background photo setting - but the images are not that pretty or engaging and they don't look 'high-end'. I've also seen freehand pen-and-ink drawings as the only images submitted for a planning application. Unusual but it seemed to work.
-
Design Access Statements and AI. A first look
Alan Ambrose replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
Very mischievous, fight planning babble with design statement babble heh? On the subject of AI, this amused me no end: ChatGPT Vs Martin Bot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzsmv6B8aY -
I think a post drifted by me a couple of weeks ago which suggested that you could measure the overall U-value by switching the heating on and measuring the inside and outside temperature difference, the ramp time, and thus calculate the heat flow. Or maybe just get it into a steady state and then observe the energy input, the delta T, and the surface area? Is that an option here? BTW I have a similar set-up to the OP, but a lot of our heating comes from a log burner. Maybe that's an option? Also, I have not done the figures yet, but I believe Agile is working out a lot cheaper for us this winter.
