Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Does that mean they are equally spaced? If you can see them from a position outside the run but on the axis will uneven positioning not offend the eye? Runway lights BAD!
  2. There isn't one as far as I know, Our Building Control scrutinised drawings show a 50mm gap between the inner face of the plaster board and the inner surface of the rafters / joists and that is all the service void we have. If you have to have 30cm (300mm) everywhere rooms would be so much smaller.
  3. I found this: https://armstrongsupplies.co.uk/blogs/faqs/c16-c24-timber#:~:text=C24 timber is roughly 50,as a C24 timber joist. which says that C16 is 50% of the strength (technical term) than C24 so if you want to do it in C16 all you need to do is double them up and bolt them together.
  4. We have that as an option but it requires power to open the rooflights so won't work in a power cut.
  5. Let's see how that goes.
  6. Yes, very interesting read and very well put. NIMBYism is definitely a problem down her, witness the fight the locals in NE Kent put up against the Graveny Solar farm and many other examples. I was somewhat shocked to have the impact of a weak transmission system on the both the cost and carbon spin outs so well demonstrated. As usual the politics of this are at, or very adjacent to, the root of the problem.
  7. Banning idiots is going to be a big job and, of course, everybody will have a different list, such that in the end, where we will all be included on someone's list and so banned - QED.
  8. We finally laid ours in 2018 on the hottest day of the year. It went sort of OK build-up exactly as described but the polishing went wrong on about 20% of surface so we had to have it ground off. We had no expansion cracks and we still have no cracks. There are two layers of mesh with the UFH in between and given there is nothing to stop the concrete moving, it is only constrained by the polystyrene former, I cannot see it will ever crack.
  9. Will this help 3.5mm Jack to screw terminals. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174582857145?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1TemzJXDnShykDZcP_jD01A38&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=174582857145&targetid=1647205088800&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006886&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=pla-1647205088800&abcId=9300866&merchantid=420536914&gclid=CjwKCAiAleOeBhBdEiwAfgmXfzHlzp3M4RK9aoX82l1DeVJs1pt-buCVUFugQuRXuyYmR215VNjzhxoCBwAQAvD_BwE
  10. Cripes - I must find time work through this lot. Interesting to see the improvement the remedial work has made.
  11. Try These then: They include the fire proofing as well: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FB4235.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=&placement=&kw=&network=x&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=FB4235&product_partition_id=&campaign=shopping&version=finalurl_v3
  12. They sure knew how to make rafters big enough back in the day didn't they!
  13. The one from Bosch - measuring master. 0.1mm is daft on a building site as a 1degC change in temp makes more than 1mm change in the length of the longest aluminium gutter section (10m) but +/- 2 is fun to work with.
  14. We have gone architect- self build - site stick built I-joist with specialist trades as we go for things I didn't feel I could do EG the roof slating - no head for heights. We wanted the architect, was good value I think standing in the spaces now, because we wanted to stand out yet fit into what it a very traditional street and have our exact needs - including future older age living built it. It has been slow but I enjoy just plodding along. We also chose to go full Passive House but probably won't go for certification as we are, for reasons we all know, over budget! Even doing most of the work ourselves we won't come in close to the £1.2k/m2 (without the plot cost) we set ourselves in 2016 when we brought the plot. So I guess it is horses for courses.
  15. Nope - hopeless.
  16. Welcome to THE forum for people like us.
  17. we would have to break the rules to tell you, but a new member got past the entry checks by being dishonest - trust nobody, not even me, that's my motto, or will be from now on.
  18. Definitely not me!
  19. What is included in the scope for these two. If it includes full Passive House work up and all the detailed specifications including drawings / schematics for all.the systems it might represent good value. But as @Mr Punter says you can go other ways for most things.
  20. Sounds awful - very sorry to hear this. No contract no payment seems like a plan to start with and report to ARB.
  21. What people? What am I doing down here in -2DegC then, perhaps I am not smart enough or not in the majority, or just stupid Systems of systems have probably the biggest bear traps.
  22. Gap in the market I guess but be aware that books are static things and in our world of technological chaos and complexity they struggle to be relevant at the bleeding edge for any great period of time.
  23. Yes and this points up the classic system of systems challenge. We are all, Google included, building systems of systems with component systems over which there is little or no control. So google changes something and your system is broken and very little you can do about it other than rebuild it using another system. As we have seen reverse engineering is not an easy answer.
×
×
  • Create New...