Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Yes it is. I think I will get some duct as it's going through wacked base in places and will allow a new pipe to be fitted if ever needed. Ducting does have a risk in that of the pipe does burst the water will fill the duct and probably the house! Anyway thanks all, know exactly the way to go.
  2. Wondering what the merits of putting water pipe (MDPE) in ducting is? Unless you lay the ducting reasonable straight getting 32mm MDPE through a 50mm duct would be difficult, so bigger needed, then there is the fact that MDPE is fine directly in the ground, and away from harmfull UV there as well. Got to lay the water to the phase one this week and am wondering if I should get some ducting or not? PS assuming that I should not put any connections under ground anyway.
  3. I have Jewson self build account, in many ways its great they set me up quickly, gave us a high credit limit and a dedicated self build manager. BUT... I cannot see prices on line, I have an on-line account connected to my self build account but this is not good enough apparently as I get a message saying call branch for pricing. So have to get quotes from them every time I want something big ish or even small ish. Given that I have now found a local civils supplier who has very competitive pricing (prices are on-line), a local sand / gravel / type 1 supplier who is also competitive plus many others I am not sure what I need Jewson for other than those emergency / small stuff like peashingle and bags of cement. BUT.. they are part of Saint-Gobain so, in theroy, have access to all of their buying power and a lot of other building materials so you would think they would be competitive for this stuff, not sure they are yet only time will tell. Although for one thing, JJI-Joists their price was the best, by 10%, I could get. For everything else, see above and insulation, timber, Rebar, bricks, fastenings and more they are not competitive which given their size is a concern. One can only assume that they have grown a bit 'fat' and could do with being a little more lean and mean. I think the moral of the story is to seek out the smaller merchants and try to strike deals with them if you are happy to spend time saving money, if you are happy to spend money saving time then a bigger firm is probably the way to go. PS the insulation supplier has warned me that there might be shortages of PU products in the next few months, anybody else heard this, should I buy now or is it a roose!
  4. Or wait for next frist and look for line of melt after they have all showered in the morning?
  5. If I am imagining this correctly, drawing might help, the tiles will be overhanging the first 50mm (2 3rds of 75mm) of the gutter width which is maybe what the slater is trying to tell you. That does not feel right normally you want the tiles to overhang the first third maximum. This ensures that fast run off hits the gutter and does not overtop it as might happen with your scheme, if I have it clear in my mind.
  6. Ah, very interesting, I was about right then and still think its a lot to pack into a paint stirrer, BUT, if I recall my history of Technology professor when I was at Uni (long time ago) correctly he looked at the definitions of HP across EU and globe and came to the conclusion that the range was bigger than Wikipedia give credit for. He was a unit nut and his favorite quip was to ask if you had ever wondered why 1 inch was equal to 25.4mm (no more / no less) his view was that it was a conspiracy, by what he described as a cabal of foreigners, to fix the two to 1dp at some point. I secretly think he knew what the answer was but us poor students had to go off and find out without the benefit of the internet. Ever wondered why / how - it ain't luck I promise.
  7. Here is a thought - 1600W is around 2 horsepower (depending on where you come from), so try to imagine two horses winding the paddle round - packs quite a punch (no pun intended!)
  8. Got mine from http://www.meterboxesdirect.co.uk/ (Tricel) £30.50 for gas, £35.35 for Electric and £8.50 P&P
  9. Air on a G string! You can play the wire I am using but I will get a guitar string tomorrow - my son plays bass but they all look a bit thick to me!
  10. Great day in the toyshop! (well Gumtree) set an alert for a wacker yesterday, braved the M25, and a corner of Essex, this afternoon and came home with a real Waker for under the £100. Runs well needs a bit of attention here and there. Maybe I will give the roller a miss... The other (better half) muttered something about this build being just an opportunity to buy toys. On another note I built a hot wire cutter this morning for cutting up the EPS foe the garden room insulation. Works like a dream 20V at 700mA across 450mm of wire, not as fast as I wanted to get to on cutting speed so will have to look at heavier gauge wire and a bit more umph.
  11. In my view a bath somewhere is important but a loo upstairs is the most important so you avoid having to navigate the stairs in the night. Don't know about others but here we, other half not me, use the bath 3 times a week for a soaking. We, me included, shower every day and use loo every few minutes. Your two markets will be happy without a bath I suspect. If children are involved a bath becomes more of a requirement. Our daughter, still with us at 25 says she has not had a bath in 10 years!
  12. Just checking but did you need the F10 it only applies if the project will have more than 22 people at any one time or exceed 500 people working days if I recall?
  13. Yep thats the sort of roller, can't compact type 1 syb base with a wacker it wont do deep compacting. On the wacker front I meant on the drainage trench bottoms before the pea shingle. Ok Gumtree alerts already set.
  14. I will shortly be laying the foundations of our new build and am looking in invest in a thwacker plate and a set of vibrating rolls to compact the trenches and the passive slab base. What should I be looking for? I think a thwacker about 300mm wide would be perfect but as for the roller I am not sure. I am looking at used plant but I suppose I could buy the thwacker new as they don't seem expensive (on the scale of things). PS if anybody is looking to move on such equipment happy to hear about it / message me.
  15. My understanding is that you can build your own stairs but they need to comply with the building regs so best get hold of the relevent regs part K (K1 for stairs) and do what is required - this site explains it all well.
  16. Presumably you will now get the windfall (no pun intended) from the payment of back tariffs otherwise all that sun has gone to waste...
  17. Sorry - got the wrong end of the stick - they do relate fall to pipe size I can have 110mm (100mm internal) because my flow rate is >1 l/s with just one WC. If I had more I might need 150mm but not until I have 5 WCs (the house itself has just 3) so 110mm shoudl be fine. Its table 6 in part H that shows the rules so I can have down to 1:80 as the shallowest slope, table 6 says minimum, it would be 1:40 if the flow rate was <1 l/s. Naturally it will be in pea shingle all round so sag won't be a problem.
  18. We made the mistake of putting in for a demolition notice, about three months from needing it to give them time to process it. They did it in 2 days and because they had sent a letter saying we could demolish, after meeting some conditions about site fencing and the like - which we have still to meet, the building control people added our project to the commenced list. Planning saw it and promptly sent us a desist notice because we still had one pre commencement planning condition incomplete, which we knew! Anyway after a quick call to planning they agreed that we had not started and the work we were doing constituted preparation all is well. Two things we learned. 1. There are internal processes inside the LA which we did not take account of - BC adding our project to the commenced list without asking us if we had commenced or waiting for us to meet their conditions for demolition. 2. Once you get to actually speak to the planners they seem to understand and were very accomodating.
  19. It will be 110mm as this will best match the concrete scheme it has to to connect to.
  20. Sounds very sensible any thoughts on which system, or any that comply with BS4962?
  21. Am just about to commence digging the sewer trench for our new builds first phase and am getting bewildered by the range of pipe systems I can use for the foul water and the drop I should adopt in readiness for the BCO. I am going for 1:60 drop that allows me to stay 600mm below the surface for the whole run which terminates in a connection to the existing foul drain running down behind the houses in the street. (1:40 brings me too close to the surface at the far end of the run and would put the pipe in the slab insulation.) This existing drain is 150mm (outer) cement / concrete pipe by the looks of it. This first run is a drop from the toilet and sink round a 90 deg bend and then a 19m run to the existing pipe. Should I use solvent or push fit and which of the massive range of systems has the best reputation as this pipe will run under the slab for 4.8m I don't want to dig it up! (I can put an access point at the edge of the slab if 19m is too long without access.) Any thoughts.
  22. Maybe its just marketing to the uniniated you pick up on the bits you like and asssume the rest is good because you only understand it at the superficial level, Edward debono had a phrase for it 'porridge words' - bit like brexit.... oh no what have I started.
  23. Trouble is they are selling, so it may be that you just saw the new pile. A friend of ours works in our local Lidl and he has been amazed at how many they have sold. How many people did'nt know they needed a compressor? I have the extending reel and the impact wrench, both great!
  24. Sorry Guys, driving home yesterday so not able to do any posting... Here is boiler, but I also have a thermal image showing return pipe hotter than flow! I am reasonably sure our friends have asked the plumber back but no luck yet, anyway they are home this evening and will get onto him in the morning.
  25. I too live in Kent and will need one to commission our system, happy to consider sharing. I think this sharing idea was raised on the old site. Mike
×
×
  • Create New...