Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Just poking this thread with commercial pipe / pump I have found with which I am very impressed. We had a wasp nest down on the build and I called out the local pest guy who hove too and promptly despatched the nest with a very neat device, the cost was best part of £100 to get the job done. The device he was using was very nicely engineered and I thought I would look it up. To my surprise it is a British made and designed device and not much more than one application of a professional to own one of your own so I purchased one for £135 from the company. https://kerminator.co.uk/product/kerminator-wasp-lance/?gad_campaignid=21456132392 It has simple pump on the base with cartridge at the business end, not unlike Jeremy's design, and a trigger just above the pump from which the carbon fibre poles extend. Yesterday I had reason to use it in earnest here at Millstone manor and found it worked very well. I must get some additional cartridges but I think one could refill the ones supplied if push came to shove. I now have the basis of a summer business!
  2. Hmmmm - doing your homework with AI can lead to all kinds of consequences- not the least of which is getting it wrong. Did you not read the disclaimer at the bottom which says, something to the effect of, AI is experimental and may get the answer wrong.
  3. Welcome to THE forum for people like us and fill your boots with questions and angst sharing.
  4. I vote for the dimples being the underside! Why - evidence - because the dimples are part of the manufacturing process and offer a key for the underside cement if used. The dimples are not big enough for the slabs to be indicator slabs that you might see at dropped curb edges on pelican crossings. The dimples are unsightly.
  5. Does your ASHP modulate that far down, I have not found a 5kW one that will go below 1.8kW.
  6. Pay now save later, makes sense but only if they tell us how they are going to adjust the system so gas is not the producer of last resort.
  7. Are you close to a neighbouring property that might be causing radio interference? I notice that the data sheets on the U8 show a set of engineers DIP switches that can be used to test the zones maybe this could be a way of eliminating some issues although it looks and feels like an RF comms issue doesn't it. Don't attempt an internal playing with power on unless you know what you are doing though. The manual I found here: https://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/cdn/shop/files/UH8-RF_V2_Datasheet.pdf?v=16128903087641331176
  8. I am slowly compiling one for our build and a collection of spares.
  9. So can you not charge them one after the other either?
  10. How the mighty fall from grace. To be fair to Octopus they have not yet had the chance to respond to my query, I think I have all the evidence there is a problem, their own backend data shows that there is no missing data on the day and, judging by the colours in the 30 minutes slots, we were exporting more that nothing across the whole of daylight. I think this means there is a glitch in the software that is copying the data across. One can speculate on why that might have happened and it is likely that the scrape over from one to the other can be rerun, lets wait and see.
  11. Did that and here is what I see: A bit patchy but no missing data and not unlike previous / subsequent days. No '0' (Zero) blocks in the main part of the day. So it must be a software glitch somewhere although it consistently shows the same missing blocks every time in the App and on the Website. Looks like this is is one for a call in the morning.
  12. Very Buddhist!
  13. Are you telling me that buildhub members have expended 14 pages of advice, leadership, speculation, creativity and enjoyed a not inconsiderable quantity of schadenfreude to go nowhere!
  14. https://www.powerbee.co.uk/sentry-pir-sensor-1-2-w-powered.html or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-Sensor,4250Lumen-Floodlights,IP66-Waterproof-Forecourt(Daylight/dp/B0BTHJZWR5 or if you want to make your own as I did: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waveshare-Micro-Motion-Continuous-Technology-Integration/dp/B0CT8JTMJM/ref=pd_day0fbt_thbs_d_sccl_2/257-1277778-3538256?psc=1
  15. That graph is what the inverter thinks has been exported and it aligns perfectly with the Octopus graph but has no missing 30 minutes segments like the Octopus one has.
  16. I was just running through our generation data this week and I noticed that the Octopus app was not showing me the same thing as the local inverter was for the 25th although the 26th and 24th are perfectly the same. Here are the two graphs for the 25th. I notice occasionally the Octopus takes time to show the readings, but I have never seen it only catch up part of a day. Anybody else seen this? I wonder how much back data our meter keeps locally? I will call Octopus on Monday to discuss or perhaps put this on the Octopus tech forum to see if anybody there has seen it if not seen here before. Here is what Octopus is showing for 25th. Here is what the inverter is telling me rounded to 2dp not three as Octopus.
  17. You can get them now with Radar which can detect humans and reject other animals. I have built one for experimental purposes that works well enough considering the sensor cost under a tener.
  18. Yes we will boost the MVHR but also restrict the rest of the house. I was going to experiment with flow temp and the flow sequence to see how it goes - so through the fan coil then on to the UFH so I can keep the UFH flow temperature within reaonable bounds or run the fan coils and UFH at different times. I did the calcs years ago, literally, some things have changed so I will do them again and see how it goes. It was never intended to be air conditioning just enough to keep the bedrooms below a bearable max and knock back the overheating days.
  19. Our solution is going to be a fan coil unit in the MVHR duct to the bedrooms and only the bedrooms. Although MVHR cannot move a lot of heat about we have fitted large ducts and servo controlled dampers also limiting the fan coil to the bedrooms concentrates it, with the UFH running at the same time and the passive stack ventilation system's roof lights open I figure we will be able to keep it bearable.
  20. We have been informed of the above event and an associated invite to members who may be in the area and wish to take part. "Save the Date – Transition Town Totnes Open Eco Homes 2025 From Friday evening, 26 September, to Sunday, 28 September 2025, eco-builders and retrofit trail-blazers across Totnes and Dartington will once again fling open their doors. Whether you’re curious about Passivhaus new builds, low-carbon retrofits, natural materials, ingenious DIY rainwater harvesting, or re-wilding your garden, this is your chance to see real-life solutions in action and quiz the people who made them happen. What’s new for 2025? • Extended hours: We’re kicking off with Friday-night visits to give you more time slots. • Fresh projects: Expect a line-up of brand-new homes and recently completed upgrades alongside perennial favourites. • Hands-on inspiration: Homeowners, architects and installers will be on hand to share tips, costs and how are things really work in practice. When: Friday 26 – Sunday 28 September 2025 Where: Homes and projects around Totnes & Dartington, South Devon Cost: Free entry (donations welcome) Full programme & map: Online from August at Transition Town Totnes (transitiontowntotnes.org) Pop the dates in your diary now and stay tuned—detailed programme, schedules and maps are coming soon. Best wishes, Robin Robin de Carteret Open Eco Homes Coordinator Transition Towns Totnes (TTT)" There is also an invitation to local members who may like to 'show off' their own eco build as part of the event. Please contact them at https://www.transitiontowntotnes.org/contact or PM @MikeSharp01me as I have a little more information.
  21. Plus the standing charges naturally.
  22. Is that via the UFH only then?
  23. We are trying to do as much as we can ourselves. So far the only external trades have been: Slating the roof - we built the structure from the inside, I have no head for heights. Fitting the windows - the VAT on the windows, which we could have got back, was equal to the fitting so the obvious thing to do to say nothing of the de-risking arising from getting them to measure and fit. MCS sign off of the PV install - although I could go and get qualified it seemed like an unreasonable use of my time and would have been very expensive. We will need: Floor screeding before we put the wooden floor down. An umbrella approach to our ASHP and DHW system to get the grant. Drywalling of the plasterboard we are fitting. We might: Get the external cladding fixed professionally. this approach does take time....
  24. Yep we agreed it prior to contract for both the architect and SE.
×
×
  • Create New...