Laser level and laser measure

patp

Husbands birthday coming up and he does like his tools. The above are two things that he doesn't have and that will come in useful for our self build project.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Lasers were an unknown subject to me prior to my self build. I am happy with my DeWalt DW088 red line laser, it is effective outside within an hour of sunset given some cloud cover.

My distance laser is a Leica Disto D2 which has been a major disappointment due to the poor ergonomics of the main measure button. This distance laser model has a bit more oomph than entry level models (though still a red laser) and it is effective at painting a dot outside in daylight conditions. I purchased red visor goggles made by Bosch which increase the ability pick out the dot at a distance they also make me look like an extra in a Star Trek movie.

Still on my shopping list is a tripod with a fine tune height adjust mechanism, I currently use an old photo tripod which is fiddly.

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1

Unsurprisingly I have gone down the Bosch route.

Measure : GLM120C (Amazon Warehouse deal)

Level: GLL3-300 with the staff and receiver. (On offer from Campbell Miller Tools).

I've used the laser measure almost every day : it's far better than any other I have used. I still use a steel tape :

Hultafors Talmeter 3M: superbly designed and measures internal  distances far better than any other tape I have used.

You will find those who argue that lasers are a waste of time: your other half might be otf that opinion too. Keep the receipts, maybe?

2 hours ago, patp said:

Husbands birthday coming up and he does like his tools. The above are two things that he doesn't have and that will come in useful for our self build project.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Walk on glazing a BIG must have ....

Would make a fantastic gift , be the envy of his friends.....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Quite content with my Stanley Cross Line and 90° Laser.

https://edavies.me.uk/2016/03/laser-level/

https://edavies.me.uk/2018/09/laser-check/

Haven't used the 90° beam out the side very much though did the other day: https://edavies.me.uk/2019/05/windows/

It simply hadn't occurred to me that using a distance measuring laser would be accurate enough for anything serious other than maybe cutting cables and things you leave a bit extra on anyway. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Conor said:

A laser measure is great at getting the dimensions of a room, little else.

I can add:

• Pinging a neighbour's house wall to find the centre line of a hedge without walking on their property.
  • Quick check of foundation dimensions when estimating hardcore and concrete orders.
  • Checking tree distance from foundations.
  • Covertly measuring the size of a nice example fireplace in a pub.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I can add:

• Pinging a neighbour's house wall to find the centre line of a hedge without walking on their property.
  • Quick check of foundation dimensions when estimating hardcore and concrete orders.
  • Checking tree distance from foundations.
  • Covertly measuring the size of a nice example fireplace in a pub.

For a long period of time when we were still working on our plans, we basically took a laser measure wherever we went. Covertly measuring friends bedroom was particularly fun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Quite content with my Stanley Cross Line and 90° Laser.

I’ve got an older one of those and has come in handy one a number of occasions. On our last build we had ClosetMaid shelving in 3 built in wardrobes. Was great for projecting a level line round three sides of the room to get the shelf pins aligned. Took about 2 minutes from getting it out of the case to having the line ready for use.  Used it last weekend to get a level line either side of a window opening. I’d buy another if this one failed....

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:37, epsilonGreedy said:

DeWalt DW088

I use this a lot.  Been using it today for setting out some lights in a kitchen.  Would not be without it.

Lasers for distance can be handy in big rooms but would not spend loads on one - I bought one on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-Digital-Laser-Distance-Meter-40m-Measure-Tool-Range-Finder-Diastimeter/253734057471?hash=item3b13ba75ff:g:esUAAOSww7RbPyDe and tested it against a Leica one that I can borrow from work - identical measurements up to 4dp.

• Like 1

Interesting reading. Thank you all. I will investigate the levels.

Is there a gadget that helps him remember, having measured something, what the measurement was :) :) :) 

His major wish is for a digger. I am not venturing down that path though!!

Any other useful bits of kit that you have (or wish you had) ? He is a plumber so is fully tooled up in that department.

2 hours ago, patp said:

Is there a gadget that helps him remember, having measured something, what the measurement was :) :) :) 

Any other useful bits of kit that you have (or wish you had) ? He is a plumber so is fully tooled up in that department.

Mac book pro 

raspberry pi 

jet ski 

drone 

electron microscope 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patp said:

A bound notepad and pencil. Not the rubbishy tear off ones or ring binder style. Similar to the ones you get free from howdens. 

E.g

Portage Field Notebooks (3 Pack) - Memo Pocket Sized Notepads Perfect for On-The-Go Field Notes - 5.5" X 3.5" - 64 Pages https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SFW8DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jn-.CbCY8AXTE

Other tools- cordless circular saw with rail attachment and rail. I assume he already has cordless tools so whatever brand he uses should be fine. 

• Like 1

@pocster You need to leave that little list somewhere more prominent around your house :)

The laser level is on its way :) Thanks for all the suggestions. I went for the De Walt DW088CG in the end.

@Construction ChannelI will check out the notebooks. Talking of Howdens, though, are self builders classed as "trade" and so able to order kitchens and doors etc from them? We are very happy with the design and quality of our Howdens kitchen.

• Like 1