Setting out angles

Ben100

12 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

What's your wall construction in there, usually setting dims are taken from stud positions rather than outside edges although you should just ask for a setting out drawing with written dims on it and not measure off drawings 

Wall construction is timber frame. 

i kind of agree with what has been said although if you are just marking out for strip foundations then being a few mm out wont matter, what you need to do is go to the architect and ask for a proper setting out drawing with diagonal sizes written and it must be from known points, drawing that i have used in the past have all the sizes and diagonals for the outside of the blockwork underbuilding (suspended timber floor). that might explain the reason the sizes appear to start in the wall as it ignores the external cladding?

6 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

[...]

although you should just ask for a setting out drawing with written dims on it

[...]

Thats all that needs to be said. Put the guy with the GPS / Total Station in touch with the architect.  Thats that job ticked off.

Loads more for you to be getting on with....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hijacking this topic rather than openig a new one:

mentioned by @the_r_sole

"setting out drawing with diagonal sizes written on it"

Is there any way to obtain this from a DWG file or from Pdfs* -probably not so much from PDF ?

Without having knowledge in Autocad or owning any Autocad  version myself = seems difficult.

Any work arounds ?

13 hours ago, Sensus said:

This is the traditional way of setting out even 'square' rooms, and it's not at all unreasonable to ask your Architect to provide a foundations setting-out drawing that has all the diagonals annotated. It's useful as a check, even when you're setting out with a total station.

We do this as a matter of routine. As an example, here's one for a house we did that's just started work on site recently:

16001-001-14 BRegs Foundations.pdf 2.05 MB · 6 downloads

Deffo would be using a surveyor there. Bet the digging is fun all those interconnecting trenches!

My level has a 90 deg function so simple layouts quite easy

18 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Any reason you need all these measurements @Patrick I just sent the dwg to the surveying co who came to site to set it out, they came to site 3 times and the bill was under £400 inc vat, it’s a no brainier really as their accuracy is just spot on. 

Yes, I am having a go myself(once again), like with everything.

I do disagree with most of you and think 400£ to measure some bits is not exactly value/money , but than again, I am poor , most people(on here) aren't  ? .

Should I become rich in the coming months, I will definetley change this post and go for all the external help I can possibly get.

F... it , i'm just gonna let my architect build the whole goddamn thing.

At the end, they are the professionals and should be trusted to do the best value/money plus quality, eh.

*sarcasm off

@Patrick sarcastic head on. 

You had a go at cutting a tree down ?? look how that ended !!!

sarcastic head off, your piling contractor will want a PIN in the ground on every pile location. 

You will need to set out the very rough area of your house, let’s say it takes you 2-3 hours. 

You then clear the site. 

Then you will need to set up some profiles detailing wall locations let’s say another 3 hours. 

Then you will need to mark out pile locations, I believe you have 30 of these, let’s say another 2 hours. 

I am very much into people getting stuck in. 

But you need to weigh up a few things, how long is it going to take to build this? Are you paying rent or a mortgage? Do you have a mortgage on your plot, all these things will have an impact on cost versus time. 

You could dig  your own clay and make your own bricks, Er no don’t be ridiculous.  

When I was starting to think about mine I actually considered buying a concrete mixing truck and driving to the concrete plant and mixing it all myself, I even thought about buying a concrete pump. 

i soon decided this was a step too far. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Patrick 

When I was starting to think about mine I actually considered buying a concrete mixing truck and driving to the concrete plant and mixing it all myself, I even thought about buying a concrete pump. 

i soon decided this was a step too far. 

Sounds exactly like me.  I am considering the side costs and everything. That's why I am doing stuff myself. It's not always the best way(see tree adventure), but it's the only way if you have extremley limited funds. But I appreciated the tips, sometimes they get even through my thick skull.

You perhaps know

But you can hire quite a sophisticated EDM 

Im setting out all the time 

But do use a EDM on some jobs 

They have become more sophisticated and more user friendly and so accurate on awkward turning 

• Thanks 1