Would 10 Watts (LED) over illuminate an 8'x6' garden shed.

epsilonGreedy

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I started ordering bits for the garden shed electrics job and this was the lowest power @800 lumens led strip light I could find at Screwfix.

The shed has standing headroom under a pitched roof, will it be too bright?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-weatherproof-led-batten-10w-800lm-2ft/2138t

That is about the same as a 75W incandescent, or 2-3 GU10s.

I tend to use more rather than less, but that may be old age.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I started ordering bits for the garden shed electrics job and this was the lowest power @800 lumens led strip light I could find at Screwfix.

The shed has standing headroom under a pitched roof, will it be too bright?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-weatherproof-led-batten-10w-800lm-2ft/2138t

800Lm will not give you much light at all. I have run you a quick calc using an 800mm batten.

Results show an avg. of 60Lux - to put that into perspective CIBSE would recommend a WC is lit to a minimum of 100lux!!

If it was me I would want at least 200lux average in this space, I would say about 2500 Lumens is what you need. 

shed.thumb.jpg.52bf57c3d2f112887e090bea3c022d58.jpg

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

800Lm will not give you much light at all. I have run you a quick calc using an 800mm batten.

Results show an avg. of 60Lux - to put that into perspective CIBSE would recommend a WC is lit to a minimum of 100lux!!

If it was me I would want at least 200lux average in this space, I would say about 2500 Lumens is what you need. 

Thank you for running the calculation, I had not realized lighting levels could be determined through a room specific formula.

The consensus here is that 10 watts led is not too much which was my concern and probably insufficient. Last night I assessed the lighting needs by dangling my 180LM Makitta torch from the shed ridge and the lighting level was not half bad. Anyhow I now have a good idea of the reasonable range when I go shopping for a light.

7 minutes ago, daiking said:

Are you trying to conduct open heart surgery in this shed or just locate a rusty hammer and old tobacco tin of nails?

It might look, walk and quack like a shed but I can assure you it is the "Site Workers Laundry Facility", that will be my line of argument when planning enforcement pay a visit.

The most demanding task will be looking for a black sock dropped between washing machine and tumble dryer.

1 minute ago, AnonymousBosch said:

PMSL.... @daiking, and because my tea is now all down my front and in the keyboard, as penance I looked up the following

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_lighting#Norms_and_requirements_for_surgical_light

Lux: The central illuminance should be between 160,000 and 40,000 lux.

Specification, specification, specification.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead with a 10W LED strip light and it is fine for finding things in an 8x6 shed at night and operating the washing machine. In the end I thought an under spec light was more suitable on a dark building site with trip hazards between static caravan and shed because eyeballs will be less dazzled after leaving the shed.

@Carrerahill's lux calculations are still valid, I notice the shed is dingy on an overcast day with the light on (like a B&Q store), so any more focused work than pressing washing machine buttons requires double or treble the lighting intensity in a shed or workshop.

The Luceco light I linked to earlier was a pleasure to fit.

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

In the end I thought an under spec light was more suitable on a dark building site with trip hazards between static caravan and shed because eyeballs will be less dazzled after leaving the shed.

do the sensible thing then, get someone else to go to the shed and push the buttons in the dark. :ph34r:

Interesting.

I am sat here in my 12ft by 14ft living room, brightly illuminated by a single 5W BC LED lamp in the pendant fitting.

And you are saying 10W is barely enough for a shed with a quarter the area?

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am sat here in my 12ft by 14ft living room, brightly illuminated by a single 5W BC LED lamp in the pendant fitting.

My kitchen is about 12 by 8 and I use a 3W LED from pendant.  Fine for me.

Up in Scotland, when it gets cold, I am told people sit around the table lamp.

When it gets really cold, they turn it on.

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

Interesting.

And you are saying 10W is barely enough for a shed with a quarter the area?

There is mood lighting and activity lighting. According to another post above if my shed had a toilet fitted it would need 18watts of LED lighting.

B&Q have such low aisle lighting levels these days I should take reading glasses to read product label small print, I reckon in their pursuit of lower co2 production B&Q have fewer luxs than my shed.