Ferdinand

Solar Dynamic Panels for Water Heating

Posted (edited)

I had not heard of these. The mechanism seems to be to circulate a cooling fluid, such that more heat is generated than used by the circulating pump.

A relatively new addition to the solar panels market, solar dynamic panels produce hot water in all weather conditions. Attached to the roof of the home, the panels do not require a backup system of gas or oil and a single solar dynamic panel can provide 55˚C hot water sufficient for a family of five every day throughout the year.

Has anyone used them, and are they still a thing? They seem to cost about as much as a big boiler.

http://thegreenhome.co.uk/heating-renewables/solar-panels/solar-dynamic-panels-overview/

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/buy-thermodynamic-panels/

solar-dynamic-panels.jpg

Can @Onoff make one out of beer cans and an old fridge?

Edited by Ferdinand

They are an air source heat pump without a fan.  I looked at fitting them, and even went so far as to visit a UK importer to see them working, but despite best endeavours, neither I nor the importer could obtain any independent test data as to their performance.  There are people in Ireland with them fitted who have reported that they work well, and they seem to be relatively popular in Spain and Portugal (which is where they come from), but the absence of any hard performance data put me off, as did the fact that one dubious UK importer was marketing them as a "Magic Box" and when I spoke to them at a show it was clear that the people selling them were snake oil sales people, who knew nothing about the things at all.

In principle they are a reasonably good idea, although they have no real icing control, and the panels will ice up badly in damp weather, and this must reduce their performance (but there's no data on this at all).

One thing that was clear, was that they aren't "solar" panels at all, and that the vast majority of the heat they extract comes from the air, not any solar radiation.  They were banned from being on the MCS register due to them being marketed as "solar" panels, some years ago.  They also seem to work well (some say better) when mounted vertically, which makes sense as that may then allow better convection and that in turn may help to reduce icing in damp weather.

Finally, they have to be installed by someone with an F gas ticket, as they are much the same as any other split ASHP, in that they need pumping out and gassing after installation.

That sounds like a heat collector for a heat pump system?  I wish they would just say so rather than cloak and daggers "new idea" stuff.

7 hours ago, JSHarris said:

They also seem to work well (some say better) when mounted vertically, which makes sense as that may then allow better convection and that in turn may help to reduce icing in damp weather.

Also, better thermal IR radiation from the general environment. Normally the ground is warmer than the sky, except the hot patch round that fusion reactor up there.