ASHP Sizing

andy

On 24/10/2019 at 16:39, joe90 said:

Well I just guessed, working on what other people had for similar builds and the fact a 4kW one came up on  Ebay and it works just fine .

I’m currently looking for an ASHP,  who did you get yours off, was it a lone ebay seller or a company EBay seller?

Any got any pointers to a good ASHP (for heating and cooling) for sale, something around 7 KW.

9 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I’m currently looking for an ASHP,  who did you get yours off, was it a lone ebay seller or a company EBay seller?

Any got any pointers to a good ASHP (for heating and cooling) for sale, something around 7 KW.

Just an Ebay seller, not a company (I think he was a professional Ebayer, buying and selling stuff). As long as it’s an invertor driven unit, most are re badged stuff, mine is a Kingspan re badged from a Carrier unit like @JSHarris bought. I think it’s luck, I bought mine 18months before I needed it. It was new, still shrink wrapped and on a pallet so worth a punt as it was so cheap. I don’t know about this make https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ecotec-7-KW-Air-Source-Heat-Pump/163912346034?hash=item2629efe9b2:g:9BcAAOSwZH1dmJ0H

you need to be quick, or notice the seller and make an offer if it does not sell.

Edited by joe90

• 3 weeks later...

Our first quote was 12kW, second 8.5kW and the third looks likely to also be ~8kW (waiting for paperwork).

Having been watching the half-hourly gas usage via the smart meter, and disregarding the combi-boiler's spikes in usage for hot water, I think the lower figure makes sense.

Good timing this thread. The supplier I have chosen done some detailed calcs for our house and came back with a 8.5Kw system (160m2). However I then pointed out that the room volumes are much larger than a normal house due to valued ceilings all all rooms bar 2. His response was:

We always have 10% factor built in and the loss is within the design requirements for the 8.5KW.   However it is tight and the recovery time on a 300 cylinder with an 8.5KW will be excessive (over 1.5 hours). That in mind I would go for the 11.2KW but let me know your thoughts.

So it seems I'm on the edge of both systems. For me its not the extra initial outlay (its not much more to be honest), its more the long term running costs/maintenance - what do you think would be best?

Well I didn’t do any figures on ASHP size fir our passive esk build I just took a punt at a 4kW that I found cheap on EBay ( @Jeremy Harris had one about that size and that was good enough fir me ? ) and it’s fine, never seems to defrost, does all its required and our build is about 240sq m.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Well I didn’t do any figures on ASHP size fir our passive esk build I just took a punt at a 4kW that I found cheap on EBay ( @Jeremy Harris had one about that size and that was good enough fir me ? ) and it’s fine, never seems to defrost, does all its required and our build is about 240sq m.

fair enough! Thing is ours is not passive - its a barn conversion and because of some really stupid planning laws we need to retain/rebuild some really heat zapping walls and I suspect the best we can do will be standard regs levels of heat loss.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gc100 said:

suspect the best we can do will be standard regs levels of heat loss.

Are you going for UFH and can you add extra insulation there. Get a tripple win that way.

I would go for the bigger ASHP. They are not quite like cars where you take an everyday hit for the few holiday trips or towing holiday.

What modulation is all about.

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Are you going for UFH and can you add extra insulation there. Get a tripple win that way.

I would go for the bigger ASHP. They are not quite like cars where you take an everyday hit for the few holiday trips or towing holiday.

What modulation is all about.

Yes my gut tells me the same, just wondered what other peoples experiences might be. Again we can't go with too much insulation on the existing slab as we'll run out of head space where the roof meets the walls (its not very big!). Though my main loses will be windows and ceiling saying all this. My fear at the moment, is that there will be a lot of cold bridges tying the cracked walls to the new inner structure for stability purposes and I will have more heat loss than calculated in SAPs. I am planning to make air tight as possible at least. 

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You can get ply and plaster board covered in aerogel. Thin and a bit better.

Why can't you dig down deeper to fit more insulation just under the pipes, and some insulation around the external edges.

You mean adding to the existing walls with plasterboards and aerogel on the cavity side? (FYI the existing walls will be used to clad the building, there's then a small cavity and then the main structural stud walls which will also hold the roof. These sit on new steel re-enforced lintels that sit on top of the existing slab. The existing walls will be tied into the new internal stud/structural wall ). We can dig down as this would basically be removing the existing slab which again is a no-no for a conversion.

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

Thought I'd revive this topic as I'm looking at sizing my ASHP! I've used JHarris's workbook to estimate the heat demand for our old cottage with proposed extension (I've weighted the wall U values from each type of wall construction to maintain the book's simplicity). I've assumed that I'd be able to get to an ACH of 2.5 (or better), and am targetting internal temps of 21degC. Based on minimum daily OAT stats, it looks like Jan will be the greatest CH demand. Using the same methodology as pg1, this gives me a 6kW ASHP requirement, without any safety margin, or any overhead for DHW (& assuming the ASHP is on for half the day). The question is, what should I be apportioning to DHW, given that currently I have no other means of heating this up (other than the immersion?). Also could I ask if it is common place for people to hook their ASHP up to a storage tank, which would then feed either CH or DHW, and avoid the unit switching on and off more regularly? I also quite like the idea of circulating the UFH at specific times of the day to help exploit solar gain in parts of the house.

Any suggestions on units people have found to be reliable / good performers would be greatly appreciated!

Heat loss through the year, using Met Office historic climate data for the location 
  January February March April May June July August September October November December
 Mean daily OAT for each month (deg C, from Met Office) =  4 4 6 7.6 11 13.8 16.4 16.2 13.6 10.2 6.6 5
Mean daily delta T (deg C) =  17 17 15 13.4 10 7.2 4.6 4.8 7.4 10.8 14.4 16
Mean minimum daily OAT for each month (deg C, from Met Office) =  1.3 2.4 5.2 4.3 7 11 13.9 13.2 10.4 7.5 4.3 3.7
Minimum daily delta T (deg C) =  19.7 18.6 15.8 16.7 14 10 7.1 7.8 10.6 13.5 16.7 17.3
Days in month =  31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31
Mean OAT daily ventilation heat loss energy (J) =  2807805 2807805 2477475 2213211 1651650 1189188 759759 792792 1222221 1783782 2378376 2642640
Mean OAT daily ventilation heat loss power (W) =  780 780 688 615 459 330 211 220 340 495 661 734
Mean OAT daily fabric heat loss power (W) =  1818 1818 1631 1481 1163 901 658 676 920 1238 1575 1725
Total daily heat loss power for average OAT (W) =  2598 2598 2319 2096 1622 1231 869 897 1259 1733 2235 2459

Minimum OAT daily ventilation heat loss energy (J) =  3253751 3072069 2609607 2758256 2312310 1651650 1172672 1288287 1750749 2229728 2758256 2857355
Minimum OAT daily ventilation heat loss power (W) =  904 853 725 766 642 459 326 358 486 619 766 794
Minimum OAT daily fabric heat loss power (W) =  2071 1968 1706 1790 1537 1163 892 957 1219 1491 1790 1846
Total daily heat loss power for minimum OAT (W) =  2975 2821 2431 2556 2180 1622 1217 1315 1706 2110 2556 2640

Monthly heat energy input (kWh) for average OAT =  1933 1746 1725 1509 1207 887 646 667 907 1290 1610 1829
Monthly heat energy input (kWh) for minimum OAT =  2213 1896 1808 1840 1622 1168 906 978 1228 1570 1840 1964

11 hours ago, JulianB said:

The question is, what should I be apportioning to DHW, given that currently I have no other means of heating this up (other than the immersion?).

A commonly used rule of thumb is 3 kWh/person/day. Adjust to suite shower/bathing habits - more if anybody habitually takes half-hour showers with boiling water at flow rates comparable to Niagara falls or whatever.

11 hours ago, JulianB said:

Also could I ask if it is common place for people to hook their ASHP up to a storage tank, which would then feed either CH or DHW, and avoid the unit switching on and off more regularly?

That's common with oil or gas boilers but not such a good idea with ASHPs because that would mean that the ASHP would always be running at DHW temperatures whereas normally you want it running at lower CH temperatures to get a better CoP.

11 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

A commonly used rule of thumb is 3 kWh/person/day. Adjust to suite shower/bathing habits - more if anybody habitually takes half-hour showers with boiling water at flow rates comparable to Niagara falls or whatever.

That's common with oil or gas boilers but not such a good idea with ASHPs because that would mean that the ASHP would always be running at DHW temperatures whereas normally you want it running at lower CH temperatures to get a better CoP.

Thanks for that!

I've read that anything above 45degC really penalises an ASHP's CoP - I'm thinking to either use it as a buffer and then use an additional source to get it to the typical 60 odd degC, or potentially contemplate DHW @ 45degC (I've read that some have no problem with this temperature?) ...legionnaire disease aside

1 hour ago, JulianB said:

Thanks for that!

I've read that anything above 45degC really penalises an ASHP's CoP - I'm thinking to either use it as a buffer and then use an additional source to get it to the typical 60 odd degC, or potentially contemplate DHW @ 45degC (I've read that some have no problem with this temperature?) ...legionnaire disease aside

A 300 litre tank will go from 45c to 60c on a 3Kw immersion in about 70 mins. That gives you a lot more useable hot water and if you do that using E7 then it will cost about 20p or thereabouts. 

With an unvented cylinder there is very little risk of legionnaires so it’s not a variable you probably need to consider. 

One downside of using a 45c tank temperature is a lot of the newer showers need a minimum 50c for them to operate - worth checking but can be fixed with an immersion boost. 

1 hour ago, JulianB said:

I've read that anything above 45degC really penalises an ASHP's CoP - I'm thinking to either use it as a buffer and then use an additional source to get it to the typical 60 odd degC

The higher the flow temperature, the lower the COP. But you risk overthinking it.

I use my ASHP to heat DHW to 50C and usually get a COP of 3.5 to 4, depending on external temperature.

I have not topped the temperature in the 3 years using direct electrical, though granted it gets to about 70C on bright sunny days courtesy of solar PV diversion.

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

One downside of using a 45c tank temperature is a lot of the newer showers need a minimum 50c for them to operate

Can't see why this would be. Even if you heat your water to abovee 50C, as you use the water in the cylinder it will drop lower and lower. So is the shower not going to work?

2 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Can't see why this would be. Even if you heat your water to abovee 50C, as you use the water in the cylinder it will drop lower and lower. So is the shower not going to work?

yes - some of the new digital showers need a minimum 50c hot supply. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

yes - some of the new digital showers need a minimum 50c hot supply. 

There's no way I would be buying one of those. I mean even if I had a full tank of hot water, but below the magic 50C, they would not work. Barking.

I'm surprised the EU has allowed this, it makes ASHP not usable.

Our thermostatic Hansgrohe is fine with lower temperature water.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

A 300 litre tank will go from 45c to 60c on a 3Kw immersion in about 70 mins. That gives you a lot more useable hot water and if you do that using E7 then it will cost about 20p or thereabouts. 

With an unvented cylinder there is very little risk of legionnaires so it’s not a variable you probably need to consider. 

One downside of using a 45c tank temperature is a lot of the newer showers need a minimum 50c for them to operate - worth checking but can be fixed with an immersion boost. 

Thanks for that! On E7 it does sound like a worthwhile route to top up with immersion...Are people using any particularly smart controllers on their immersion to take into consideration factors such as outside air temperature, as presumably passed a certain threshold it pays you to top up the final delta T with ASHP rather than immersion?

Interesting point re. newer showers...very odd that anymore would design in something like that! I would be keen on exploring solar PV, but I'm not sure that we have the budget for it at the moment, and we're in a conservation area + listed building so I'm not really holding my breathe (plus we've got a few trees around us...see attachement..photo taken from the west).

7 hours ago, ragg987 said:

The higher the flow temperature, the lower the COP. But you risk overthinking it.

I use my ASHP to heat DHW to 50C and usually get a COP of 3.5 to 4, depending on external temperature.

I have not topped the temperature in the 3 years using direct electrical, though granted it gets to about 70C on bright sunny days courtesy of solar PV diversion.

I would happily take 3.5-4 CoP... I don't suppose you have any recommendations on ASHP brand/model...as I'd be keen to have a look at some sort of COP vs flow temperature chart to begin to understand their relationship (although I don't suppose they are 'real life' numbers, once you factor in your particular annual temperature/humidity trends?)

DJI_0014.JPG