Workshop heater: recommendations?

ToughButterCup

I made the mistake of buying a site heater without asking the commentariat which one to buy. 

Maybe because I have a drum of red diesel  knocking around I bought this little heap of shoo shoo.

It spits diesel all over the floor. Hisses, farts, spews smoke everywhere, makes a noise like @Nickfromwales after 10 pints of foaming liquid, works when it feel like it - the colder the less likely it is to work.

I'd prefer to buy one that uses red diesel. Or sawdust. Plenty of each at the moment.

Opposite end of the scale but I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eterna-Quartz-Infared-Heater-With-2-Heat-Settings-600W-1200W-Wall-Mounted/162627445179?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 I have mounted it above my bench pointing at me, works well but I know heating the whole workshop would be expensive as it has no insulation (fine weather projects only ?).

If it's a modest amount of heat required, a vehicle heater can be a good option.

The Chinese have recently started cloning the well known Webasto/Eberspacher type heaters- I fitted on to my boat and so far it's been great.

They're designed to work off a low voltage and happily burn red diesel. A great option if you are off grid.

Random example off eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-Air-Diesel-Parking-Fuel-Heater-Warming-12V-5KW-LCD-Switch-for-Truck-Boat/292805810337?epid=23027418008&hash=item442c9618a1:g:jtsAAOSwH2Vb4ZKS:rk:2:pf:0

For your own health I would not want to be using a solid fuel heater that has not got the exhaust piped to the outside of the shed...... nasty stuff that. I have recently purchased an old wood / multi fuel stove that I am going to instal in my shed as the main heating. I will also put in some infared heaters for times when I am just popping in to do a quick job.   

Ian, those units are pretty foolproof if looked after. Did it come set up for kero or red? A slight adjustment of the air screw at the back of the unit is required to optimise the burn for either. Faceplate not much more than cherry red, and no visible flames out the front *should* be about right.

Was it new stock? Might be worth checking the fuel and air hoses for perishing regardless.

I know my way about these pretty well, ask away if you need anything.