Wood burner

nod

Good morning

My question is Although wood burners are normally sat on a hartth 

My wife has asked me to run the tiles into the chimney Brest and site the wb directly on the floor 

First Question having no exsperience of Wbs Am I breaking any rules Second is would it look right 

0E2E1E15-2825-4CE3-A581-6EAA07C6EC2C.jpeg

Any new stove needs a hearth, even if it is a piece of 10mm glass to mark out where it is. As I understand it, the reason is for someone with impaired vision to identify that there is a stove. 

The link @Onoff provided is pretty clear on it so should help. 

• Like 1

Firstly, as you don't have a constructional hearth, you have to choose the stove carefully. You need one that guarantees the bottom of the stove will never exceed 100 degrees (which often means the raised ones with a log store underneath)  and then it needs a "hearth" of a non combustible material at least 12mm thick. of a size described in building regs.

If you just tile the floor with regular floor tiles, they may not be 12mm thick so it may not comply.

As to a "step" or not.  You seem to be able to get away without.  Our last house had a constructional hearth but I set the tiles that finished it off flush with the wooden floor.  BC had a grumble about it but passed it.  And a house near here tiled the entire room (on a concrete screed) and that was also passed.

What is the fireplace recess built of?  If not brick, then you need to consider  "distance to combustibles" from the side back and top of the stove, so again choose carefully.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Firstly, as you don't have a constructional hearth, you have to choose the stove carefully. You need one that guarantees the bottom of the stove will never exceed 100 degrees (which often means the raised ones with a log store underneath)  and then it needs a "hearth" of a non combustible material at least 12mm thick. of a size described in building regs.

If you just tile the floor with regular floor tiles, they may not be 12mm thick so it may not comply.

As to a "step" or not.  You seem to be able to get away without.  Our last house had a constructional hearth but I set the tiles that finished it off flush with the wooden floor.  BC had a grumble about it but passed it.  And a house near here tiled the entire room (on a concrete screed) and that was also passed.

What is the fireplace recess built of?  If not brick, then you need to consider  "distance to combustibles" from the side back and top of the stove, so again choose carefully.

Thanks Dave

the chimney is built out of block

ive boarded the recess out with backer board and skimmed with heat resistant plaster 

12 hours ago, nod said:

First Question having no exsperience of Wbs Am I breaking any rules Second is would it look right 

Yes and No.

Others have mentioned the need for something >12mm thick under the stove to form a step. This is to discourage rugs and mats being placed too close. 

What you can do is run the tiles as planned then put a sheet of say 20mm granite or glass on top.  I visited a local monumental mason and had a wander around his yard. Found some gloss black granite left over from a kitchen work top job. I took him a plywood template and he cut the granite to the required shape and honed off the gloss finish to leave a nice matt surface. Looks great and doesn't mark or stain like slate can.

As mentioned in the link Oneoff posted... The granite must project in front of the stove around 300mm and probably to the sides as well, so it will be a T shape. See left hand side of Diagram 26 in Approved Document J.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Beware that people will occasionally stand on the corners so make sure they are well supported by your floor to avoid it cracking.

As ProDave said... Your stove must be "certified not to increase the temperature of the hearth more than 100C".  If yours isn't certified you will need a constructional hearth which is something like a 225mm thick slab of concrete in the floor that you may not have/want.

If you really want to DIY the stove install then you will also need to produce and fit a small ratings plaque to impress the BCO. See Diagram 16 page 28. Even then the BCO might want a HETAS man to sign it off.

Edited by Temp

On 07/09/2018 at 17:19, Temp said:

Yes and No.

Others have mentioned the need for something >12mm thick under the stove to form a step. This is to discourage rugs and mats being placed too close. 

What you can do is run the tiles as planned then put a sheet of say 20mm granite or glass on top.  I visited a local monumental mason and had a wander around his yard. Found some gloss black granite left over from a kitchen work top job. I took him a plywood template and he cut the granite to the required shape and honed off the gloss finish to leave a nice matt surface. Looks great and doesn't mark or stain like slate can.

As mentioned in the link Oneoff posted... The granite must project in front of the stove around 300mm and probably to the sides as well, so it will be a T shape. See left hand side of Diagram 26 in Approved Document J.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Beware that people will occasionally stand on the corners so make sure they are well supported by your floor to avoid it cracking.

As ProDave said... Your stove must be "certified not to increase the temperature of the hearth more than 100C".  If yours isn't certified you will need a constructional hearth which is something like a 225mm thick slab of concrete in the floor that you may not have/want.

If you really want to DIY the stove install then you will also need to produce and fit a small ratings plaque to impress the BCO. See Diagram 16 page 28. Even then the BCO might want a HETAS man to sign it off.

Thanks 

That makes sense 

We wanted to get away from anything too chunky

Declans looks really sleek and would satisfy BC

Its a pretty easy fit in that we won’t need a flexible flu dragging down the chimney

There is a local guy I’ve come across on-site that will supply and fit with a cert 

I was going to build an oak beam in But he told me that I will have to plant it in the face 

As with plasterboard considered combustible 

Surprising what you learn