Ooops - construction sequence snag.

MikeSharp01

Trying to be my usual efficient self, not always a good idea, I have been working out how much floor boarding I need and laying delivery out against the build sequence and I think I have hit a snag. I need to board out the first floor, largely, to put the ridge beam elements in place so it will be open to the elements until the rafters & sarking are up. Have just tried to find floor boarding I can leave out in all weathers and the best they can do is 'water resistant' just how resistant is that then? I might be able to cover it but there is no way it won't get wet! Is there an alternative I can use, I don't want to OSB it if I can avoid it as that will be wasteful.

Any thoughts.

I have a similar issue, Mike.  My garage will have OSB board on it for the roof (it's not part of the thermal envelope) and is going to be exposed until I get another layer of board and the GRP finish onto it.  I asked the MBC team today and the best they could suggest was some big rolls of polythene and a few planks to hold it down in the meantime.

Is it just for the ridge beam work that you require a floor???

You could always erect a scaffold through the middle of the house to get access to the areas where you need to be. This could be kwikstage sitting on the ground floor going through your gaps in the joists and up to what height suits.

The roofers can then use the platform to set the roof truss along your beam.

Ours was floored in 11mm OSB as a temporary deck.  It didn't get wasted, that eventually got cut into strips to drop into the bottom of the JJI joists to support the insulation. For that application it didn't matter that some of the edges had swelled a little.

Egger Protect glued and nailed to joists and the other boards is what I use. Weatherproof for 9 weeks from memory with 20% rain. If it is glued properly it is structural and makes the whole structure rigid and will turn your first floor into a swimming pool ...

Mine was the weather resist board and was open to the sky for at least a month during the snow.  Standing snow melted onto it and it was absolutely fine.  I've even got a few pieces of spare board that have been left outside since and they are also still fine despite no sealing on the edges

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Egger Protect glued and nailed to joists and the other boards is what I use. Weatherproof for 9 weeks from memory with 20% rain. If it is glued properly it is structural and makes the whole structure rigid and will turn your first floor into a swimming pool ...

I used a similar phonelic coated chipboard. Left open to the elements for weeks over winter.

https://www.mkmbs.co.uk/prodt000653-chipboard-tg-p5-phenolic-weyroc-protect-2400mm-x-600mm-x-22mm-fsc/

6 minutes ago, Tyke2 said:

I used a similar phonelic coated chipboard. Left open to the elements for weeks over winter.

https://www.mkmbs.co.uk/prodt000653-chipboard-tg-p5-phenolic-weyroc-protect-2400mm-x-600mm-x-22mm-fsc/

Thats actually Egger Protect - I have an account with MKM. Good stuff and really decent service from the local branch too. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thats actually Egger Protect - I have an account with MKM. Good stuff and really decent service from the local branch too. 

Im not sure what actual make I used as it was a while ago. But glue and tape the joints and edges and it all works great.