Looking for a triple glazed roof window....

ProDave

As the title says, I am looking to buy a roof window for my plant room, size 780mm wide 980mm high.

Ideally I want triple glazed and no trickle ventilator.  I haven't found any of the on line suppliers listing 3G roof windows, so thought before wasting more time I would ask the forum for anyone who has bought one and knows a good supplier.  It will probably be Fakro or Velux and if similar price I would choose Fakro to get the handle at the bottom.

But also worth discussing is how much premium is it worth paying in the real world to get triple glazing and no trickle ventilator?

The standard 2G Fakro is being advertised by the loft shop as a U value of 1.3 and it's on offer for £169 there at the moment. and do I really need one without a trickle ventilator? the Velux roof windows in our present house, when the ventilator is shut it does seem to be a pretty air tight seal, so is that an expensive option not really worth bothering with?

I used Fakro 3G windows in my build, some factors in my consideration:

• my project manager had a poor experience with air tightness on Velux, This was a major consideration we were aiming for PH standard
  • 3G for comfort over 2G rather than out-and-out energy savings - inner pane should be warmer
  • lower handle meant we would be able to avoid electric operation

I purchased 6 windows from a continental supplier at about 50% of UK price delivered (Euro was weaker than today, mind). I can whisper supplier PM me.

Looking at Sterling build, they have (in the size I want, 3G)

Fakro £301.50

Velux £321.60

Roto £446

ECO+ £221.73

Anyone know anything about the ECO+ roof windows, it seems very cheap. This one https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/product/ECO-centre-pivot-pine-triple-glazed/eco-centre-pivot-pine-triple-glazed-roof-windows-78x98cm

They offer that with free delivery and specifically mention the Scottish Highlands are included in that free delivery.

5 hours ago, Mikey_1980 said:

we have 7 of the Velux solar integra 3g windows in or build.  http://www.velux.ie/products/roof-windows/integra

We had no issues with the MBC air tightness and the integra controller is great to use, operating all windows/blinds and being able to set timers for blinds window openers is great.

That's good to know as I've selected an Integra window in our MBC build

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Looking at Sterling build, they have (in the size I want, 3G)

Fakro £301.50

Velux £321.60

Roto £446

ECO+ £221.73

Anyone know anything about the ECO+ roof windows, it seems very cheap. This one https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/product/ECO-centre-pivot-pine-triple-glazed/eco-centre-pivot-pine-triple-glazed-roof-windows-78x98cm

They offer that with free delivery and specifically mention the Scottish Highlands are included in that free delivery.

Nope but I've looked at them too at that price !

Perhaps oddly, the cheapest source for our Fakro roof windows was our local Travis Perkins (who we had a pretty good relationship with at the time).  Also, Fakro's sales department were very helpful - might be worth a call to them to ask about distributors and who's likely to do them for the best price in your area.

We bought our Velux integras (and standard Velux windows) from MyRoofWindow.co.uk - they're based in Netherlands and were very good value - would need to see if that's still the case with the lower exchange rate. They price in pounds as standard and Euros as an option (you can save a few quid if you use your own exchange service). Very fast delivery.

We went for the electric Inetgra option vs solar, should not be an issue getting power to them for a new build. We also got external electric blinds to minimise solar gain which work off the same controller. Finally we got the insulated fixing kit - even though the roofer disposed of the insulated flashing, but the collar is the most important piece.

We opted for the solar version of the integra, I don't even think the electric option was available when we ordered.  Ours came from Roofing Superstore, they were the cheapest and the only one who we spoke to who said thet we could get them colour matched to our windows, RAL7016 externally and white painted wood internally.  I was a littely worried as everyone else said velux couldn't do this, but they did turn up as ordered and we are very pleased.

I have collected prices and U values for a lot of different roof windows now, so thought it was worth tabulating the information.

This is all for size 780 by 980 roof windows, centre pivot, wood finish internally. No special options like anti noise etc.

Dakeu       2G       U=1.4       £110

Rooflight   2G       U=1.5       £133

Fakro        2G       U=1.2       £186

Velux         2G       U=1.3       £201

Eco+          3G      U=1.0       £221

Roto           2G      U=1.2      £222

Facro          3G     U=0.97     £301

Velux          3G      U=1.0      £321

Facro         4G      U=0.58    £1044

All prices ex VAT and delivery

I still think the Eco+ 3G at £221 looks a good bet so I am likely to buy one and see. If it does turn out to be good, I have another two to buy later on.

The last one, the Facro 4G at over a grand, shows to me a rather high cost for a small benefit that would have a stupidly long payback time. 

• Like 2

Facro do a 2G "vent free" roof window for £250 with a U value of 1.2  I believe their 3G and the eye wateringly expensive 4G one are available without vents

The vent issue does not concern me as much, based on present experience with a basic 2G velux roof window in the present house, when it's shut, it's pretty well sealed. I will report back in due course about how well sealed the "closed" vent is on the Eco+  this one is going in the "plant room (/ workshop) and won't be ventilated by the mvhr so arguably it should have a trickle vent anyway?

My target was a U value of 1 or less and tripple glazed.  It's only a small window, and if you work out the heat loss of a window with a U value of 1.0 and compare it to a slightly better one, you realise that paying a lot more for only a slightly better window is not worth it.

Okay I have ordered my Eco+ roof window. I ordered the standard pine finish.

Sterling build have just contacte me to say the pine one is 3-4 weeks delivery. They can "upgrade" me at no cost should I wish to the UPVC version that they have in stock and is usually a few £ more.

Would you wait for the pine finish. or choose UPVC?

I have to say I am first fixing a house this week that has UPVC velux windows and frankly I don't like them, I would have the more traditional wooden finish any day. but are the UPVC ones any better performing?

I was trying not to be negative so resisted replying. But as you pressed me......

I don't like them. But, it's purely down to asthetics. 

Our barn conversion (which we now rent) has the pine units and 14 years on they still look as good as they day they were installed even in the bathrooms. 

Edit: I should add I'm not a fan of uPVC Windows full stop.

Edited by Barney12

They apparently are slightly more thermally efficient - not much but it depends which ones you get. uPVC has come a long way but it really is horses for courses. If its only a plant room does it matter..?

My wife made me pay extra for the velux with white internals, Grrrr...

If the ceiling is white (?) it shouldn't look bad. Just take the upvc, fit it see how you like it and decide for the more visible windows later

I think there are a few points.

I have always associated UPVC with "cheap" double glazing.

I have only ever had roof windows with a "pine" finish inside, it's what I "expect" of a roof window.

The Velux UPVC ones I saw today did not particularly impress me, I think I was left with the impression "is that it?"

Yes this window is "only" for the plant room, but it is also the tester, and if it's any good I will get the same for the en-suite and the small bedroom. If it turns out to be rubbish, I will get a different make for the more important rooms.

The UW values are the same for both, so if the UPVC frame is more thermally efficient, it's only by a tiny amount.

I think I am minded to wait for the pine one, unless someone can give me a good reason to choose the UPVC.

You seem to have a strong preference for the timber window Dave, so it would seem the short wait will be easier to swallow than potentially spending the rest of your days kicking yourself every time you walk past a PVC one.

• 4 weeks later...

It's here, it arrived today.

EXO+3G_roof_window.jpg

First impressions are it's reasonably well made.

The trickle ventilator is an opening strip across the whole top of the window. I suspect when it's closed it's not a brilliant seal.

Fitting the window itself looks straightforward.

The flashing kit looks very complicated, however I am not convinced I have the right flashing kit so I'm discussing that with the supplier at the moment.