Don’t upset your builder!

My dad, a self employed carpenter, once removed a customers front door after they wouldn’t pay him. They threatened him with the Police, he said fine, call them, he had the paid invoice from the builders merchant and the T&Cs on the back of his invoice to the customer clearly stating the door belonged to him until fully paid for. After explaining this to the customer they paid there and then in cash and the door was refitted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Triassic said:

My dad, a self employed carpenter, once removed a customers front door after they wouldn’t pay him. They threatened him with the Police, he said fine, call them, he had the paid invoice from the builders merchant and the T&Cs on the back of his invoice to the customer clearly stating the door belonged to him until fully paid for. After explaining this to the customer they paid there and then in cash and the door was refitted.

That’s pretty common to be honest. I’ve known that approach be adopted with a number of trades where I used to live. Not against me I hasten to add! 

The terms on my invoices state all goods supplied and fitted remain mine until the invoice is paid in full.  I have not yet had to go and recover them.  Doing so is on thin ice as you could face a criminal damage charge.

And what if your builder upsets you?

As some might suspect, from the series of posts about it this time last year,  I have felt like taking a telehandler to one company's office.

Just to the one wall, you understand, just the one

However, feeling like doing it and actually doing it are two different things. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

However, feeling like doing it and actually doing it are two different things

Yes absolutely! Thinking murderous thoughts doesn’t mean converting them to murder lol but occasionally people snap and take revenge. Rarely worth the consequences IME. 

A local building company just went bust and went to the auction, in one corner was a large pile of rubbish. In it were a few bits worth having, brand new paint brushes, short lengths of timber,screw and nails,  half tins of paint and stuff like that. There was a sign saying help yourself! I got a few items!

i asked the auctioneer what was going on, apparently the skip company had come to collect their skip but as their previous invoices hadn’t been paid they refused to take the contents, hence the pile of rubbish!

• 6 months later...