Scrap Cable Prices

Barney12

I've just started striping out the electrics on the house we are going to demolish.

i seem to remember someone saying that scrap prices for the stuff was so low these days that its hardly worth the effort?

Straight in the skip? Or collect it all up?

Decent lengths of red and black t&e sell for more on ebay than new cable. I have sold anything from 5 metre lengths upwards.

Othwerwise weigh it in as pvc covered cable. If you work out the hours it takes you to manually strip it to weigh it in as clean copper, it will be a VERY low hourly rate indeed. I soon realised I can do better things with my time.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Decent lengths of red and black t&e sell for more on ebay than new cable. I have sold anything from 5 metre lengths upwards.

Othwerwise weigh it in as pvc covered cable. If you work out the hours it takes you to manually strip it to weigh it in as clean copper, it will be a VERY low hourly rate indeed. I soon realised I can do better things with my time.

+1. 

If it pays for the tea, coffee, and a bit of medicinal vino, then bag it and weigh it in as it is and get on with things of importance. 

;)

I hadnt realised there was any worth in the cables we've taken out of our renovation but we have just removed the radiators and old tin bath.  I shall make a few enquiries to see if they are worth taking to the nearest scrap dealer.  Unfortunately last week the OH spoke to a scrap dealer regarding the old wood burning stove with back boiler that he'd managed to get into the garden.  They said they'd collect it and before I could get to the house to pick it up to sell elsewhere, they'd been and it had gone!  That was a lot of metal and probably worth a bob or two.  We live and learn.  ^_^

2 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Google says 65p for cable per kilo or 3,25 if it's just the copper 

Now why didn't I think to Google.

OK, so nearest scrap metal merchant is about 30 minutes drive. So that's two hours on my time plus a gallon of diesel. 

Skip is looking likely!! :( 

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Put it out front and let the scrap boys take it. That's what puts the bread on their tables so let them have it. ;)

"Scrap Boys". 

Crikey can't remember the last time I saw the like pass our gate.

2 months ago I put a perfectly serviceable 12' 5 bar timber gate and 8" square post by our entrance with a "free to good home" sign. ITS STILL BL@@DY THERE! I'm going to have to go and retrieve it and burn it :( 

18 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

"Scrap Boys". 

Crikey can't remember the last time I saw the like pass our gate.

2 months ago I put a perfectly serviceable 12' 5 bar timber gate and 8" square post by our entrance with a "free to good home" sign. ITS STILL BL@@DY THERE! I'm going to have to go and retrieve it and burn it :( 

I fitted a new combi a while ago. I told the landlord it was a bag of shat and don't waste any money on it, he said to try and fix it. Cue £150 worth of new fan and it worked for another month or two before popping a circuit board. 

After a told you so chat, in goes a nice Baxi. As I lifted the old combi off the wall and carried it outside, I remembered to grab the fan out for the LL to put it for sale / stock and went back in for a pozi screwdriver to get it out. By the time I'd walked in, opened my toolbag and walked back outside it was gone. I reckon less than a minute, if that. Went down like a lead balloon with the LL who was convinced I took it. 

I don't have the Pikies anywhere near my jobs, and I've used the same localscrap boys ( also registered as waste handlers ) for around 10 years or so. Their in my phone as "Pikies" and when I see them around I shout "potato" at them. Goes down a storm. :D 

36 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Put a £50 sign on it. It will be gone next day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Gum tree ;)

I really need to get into the GumTree thing. Only problem is that I have an oversion to allowing the "common herd" onto our property. I'm paranoid that they'll scope the place and come back and rob me :) 

Do you not have a local Freecycle list..?

I put a lot of stuff through there as I know people will take anything .. Although it can be a bit hit and miss as to the comments you get ..! I put a fridge on saying it had no shelves, and when they came to get it they complained that it had no shelves ...

and then there was the bloke with the double mattress and the Fiesta... 

We have removed an old tin bath, more copper piping and several radiators from our renovation house and I checked, the nearest scrap dealers will take them, though he did say steel is not much at the moment.  however,taking it to the tip will cost me money - a pound an item adn I can only take 13 a month and I must be up to that limit by now with all the bags of rubble/plaster I have taken in.  So at least its a way of getting rid of it all and I may get enogh for a cuppa at their cafe.

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

We have removed an old tin bath, more copper piping and several radiators from our renovation house and I checked, the nearest scrap dealers will take them, though he did say steel is not much at the moment.  however,taking it to the tip will cost me money - a pound an item adn I can only take 13 a month and I must be up to that limit by now with all the bags of rubble/plaster I have taken in.  So at least its a way of getting rid of it all and I may get enogh for a cuppa at their cafe.

That's a very fair point. Round here a builders skip (6 yard) is £230 (inc VAT) so there is an argument for not filling it so quickly.

Our nearest recycling center is a good 30 minutes away by car and staffed by the Third Reich. Thankfully though this particular bunch have received additional Customer Service training from Pol Pot. I really can't stomach going within a mile of the place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Just out of interest, what's the going rate for a copper cylinder atm?

Depends on size, where and in what condition - eBay £30-40 if in ok condition, scrap is about £10-15 at most 

• 5 years later...