Water connection

Can anyone tell me what they’ve paid for a water connection. We have paid Scottish Water just over a thousand pounds to be allowed to have water but they will not do any of the donkey work, we have to make a road crossing ( B road) pretty narrow crossing install ducting and water pipe and bring it to a boundary box. Then needs to be inspected by SW and closed up and reinstated, we have just had a quote for nearly £7500 for this work and think this is way too much, any comparable quotes please 

Guest Alphonsox

In our case NI water charged us £1784 to connect water to the property. This involved them digging approximately 30m of trench including a B-road crossing and connecting to a stop tap/box on the property boundary. We then handled everything from the boundary to the house.

Scottish water were a bit hard to deal with, but in the end they were very good value.

Our quote for the water connection was about £1K but that also did not include the road crossing. The water main was a few feet into the field the other side of the road. and we had to do all the trenching on our plot.

I then started looking for prices for the road crossing, an independent contractor wanted £2K as dis Scottish Hydro, but when asked Scottish water only wanted an extra £1K for the road crossing so they did it.

What you need to ask them for is an "all works" quote including the road crossing. they supplied the pipe from the main under the road, and the boundary box, we just had to supply pipe from the boundary box to the house wtc.

As it happens it was not SW themselves that did it, they subcontracted it to someone else.

• Thanks 1

We were £1815 for two connections which inc approx 200m through the adjacent park (no road crossings) and we done all the work ourselves inc buying the pipe. They just came out and checked before back filling. 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

Thanks @ProDave, I originally asked the person I had been dealing with at SW to quote for them to do the work and was told they didn’t do that! I’m honestly at the end of my tether here can’t seem to get anywhere with these utility companies but I will go back to them on Monday and ask for an all works quote 

@Christine Walker Have you looked into the phone line connection yet as it might be able to save you some money on the road crossing.

I need to do one road crossing for water, electricity and gas. BT called me this week and said that each new phone line connection has an allowance of £3500, which means if there is a road crossing required for the phone line it could be paid for by the allowance. I would then put in the ducting for the other services at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Would that be allowed? Haven’t even thought about a phone line yet, as it stands at the moment it looks like we’ll have a house which if we want electricity and water into we’ll have to sell our soul to the devil ?

The guy i spoke to from BT (I think he was a local estimator) seamed to think it would be OK. However he did seam like a decent guy, so maybe other people in BT wouldn't be as accommodating.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

@ProDaveI have just been back on their website and it says SW provide a plumbing only service and you are responsible for all other work including road crossings, how long ago did you have this done?

Mine was connected in 2015

52 minutes ago, ultramods said:

@Christine Walker Have you looked into the phone line connection yet as it might be able to save you some money on the road crossing.

I need to do one road crossing for water, electricity and gas. BT called me this week and said that each new phone line connection has an allowance of £3500, which means if there is a road crossing required for the phone line it could be paid for by the allowance. I would then put in the ducting for the other services at the same time.

The trouble with that, is the water connection will need to be deeper. Have a brown envelope ready on the day to "encourage" the guys that come to dig a little deeper than they would jus for a phone cable.

It was handy having Scottish Water make the road crossing as everything else went in as the trench was being back filled.

49 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Would that be allowed? Haven’t even thought about a phone line yet, as it stands at the moment it looks like we’ll have a house which if we want electricity and water into we’ll have to sell our soul to the devil ?

There was one on Grand Designs where they had not thought about this until the end, and the water connection cost them £40K

@Christine Walker we are in the Scottish Borders and have recently had a road crossing trench dug and back filled for water. A local company dug the trench, back filled and installed a boundary box the other side of our hedge and stop cock in the plot itself. Total cost just shy of £1k - the road crossing was a single track road, no more than 3 metres wide - see my blog for images -  

We built our house about 11 years ago. At the time someone told me to budget £100 a meter for just about any service involving trenching across a field, more if it had to go under a road.

The water main actually ran across our plot but needed diverting to the edge.  This involved a trench and pipe about 45m long all on our plot. The cost for that and connecting our house to it was about £4600 so pretty close to the £100 a meter budgeted.

• Like 1

I think @Redoctober that the problem seems to stem from additional costs, need to apply to council for road crossing permits then traffic management and also talking about having to leave trench open for 5 days until SW get off their asses to come inspect, it’s getting out of control what we are being quoted for utilities between this and the 25k quote from SP energy (which I am still fighting) I am beginning to wish we hadn’t started, this kit is going up and all I feel is sick!

Scottish Water have told me that we can't connect to the sewer because they don't own it. We contacted the hose builder that does own it and they won't give us permission to connect to it because they are currently transferring ownership of the sewer to SW and don't want the process delayed. They expect the ownership to be transferred towards the end of the year.

It's frustrating because it means that we can't don't the sewer connection (which is also in the road) when we do the road crossing for the other services. We are getting a second quote next week for the road crossing so going to see if it will be possible to lay the sewer pipe in place but don't do the actual connection until we have permission, so we don't need to dig up the whole road twice.

I have asked my MSP to see if there is anything she can do to help, within a couple of days of asking she had written to the CEO of SW and the house builder.

2 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Just to make you feel better (!) Wessex Water quoted us around £23,000 for a mains water connection, plus another £14,000 for a pumped sewage connection (not including the ~£3k for the pump chamber and installation).  Electricity connection and cable moves in total came to just under £4,000.  The cheap one was the 'phone,  as all we paid was the standard connection charge, around £100, IIRC.

The moral of this tale is to ALWAYS check, and double check, the costs and viability of getting services to your plot BEFORE you exchange contracts.  Had we not done this we would have had some very nasty surprises (and we could have paid a great deal more for our plot than we did).

• Sad 1

£2,300 which covers a road closure for a minor village lane and a dig through this road to a builders standpipe 6 feet away within my plot. I will get the £350 road closure fee refunded if they can piggyback the work on a prior road closure for the sewerage connection.

The largest portion of the £2.3k bill is two new-connection infrastructure levies which relate to the intolerable extra stress on the Anglian Water network caused by my new build. Can you imagine parking in Sainsburys and being accosted by some bean counter who says "you are a new customer, I demand "£1000 before you touch that shopping trolley to pay for all the extra staff and the pending store extension triggered by your visit".