Hi! Summerhouse

DrawCAD

So, my first post.. 

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone at the moment. I used to be a CAD Draughtsman in manufacturing and I'm refreshing my skills so that I can possibly get some 'gig' freelance work online. I'm looking at building a large (9.5 x 5m) Summer House in my garden so I thought drawing it up would be a good idea; I'll have my plans building ready and at the same time I can get my CAD skills up to scratch.

I would put my skill level at strong DIYer, we bought a 'do-er-upper' about 12 years ago and I've done just about everything on the house - new bathroom, kitchen, garden landscaping, large decking area, fencing, decorating etc. However, this is the biggest project I've taken on by far - I love a project!!

I've got some more first draft drawing to do and then I'll have loads of questions I'm sure.

I look forward to my time on here and hearing from you.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

Well, after I finish the house build?my other half wants a summer house but one she can move (we have a large garden and meadow) (well it will be a meadow when I get the land drains and re seeding done) so we fancy a Shepard’s hut and the advantage is as it’s on wheels our local stroppy council can’t object (28 day rule). I too like a project (but one at a time eh). I don’t do CAD I prefer pencil and paper as I am old!. Bring the questions on.

I've started just about everything on the house - new bathroom, kitchen, garden landscaping, large decking area, fencing, decorating etc.

Welcome btw! :)

Thanks for the welcome chaps. 

The more I'm drawing this project the more I'm learning - like tweaking the wall widths to limit the amount of plasterboards cuts required. This is a lesson in itself I guess, when drawing think about the practicalities.

I don't know how or even if I can reply to individual replies so I'll do it like this;

Joe90 - Surely with a lot of land you can put a summer house where you like?? Especially if it's under 2.5m high? If you would like me to draw up your sketches please let me know. I need to build a portfolio and I could do with some experience of working with clients so it could help us both - completely free of charge obviously - feedback is what I'm after.

MikeSharp01 - Cheers Mike. Again, please let me know if you would like any CAD drawings FOC.

OnoFF - I'm sure you finished some of it!

My Summer House drawings are starting to take shape, I'll be designing the roof structure shortly (not straightforward) -  drawings and questions to follow!

On 10/07/2018 at 16:27, DrawCAD said:

I don't know how or even if I can reply to individual replies so I'll do it like this;

Hi and welcome. 

Go to the text you want to quote and highlight it, mouse and drag or click and select. After you select at least one word a drop box will appear saying "quote selection" and you'll get the result above. ;) 

The above will help deal with the Jargon :S 

• Thanks 1

Drawcad, thanks for the offer, we have had years of planning fights with our local council and although we won hands down (went to Secretary of State to appeal) I know they will fight anything I do as their nose is out of joint ?. So if it’s got wheels we can move it about (er indoors is bound to say “I fancy it over there instead”, yes dear comes the reply. Thanks for your offer, hoping to do this over the winter after I finish the house so I may well get in touch, here is an example of what we fancy.

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plankbridge.com%2Fmedia%2F1466%2Fgallery-external010.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plankbridge.com%2Fgallery%2F&docid=G0jXseAUpgSL6M&tbnid=-l5RaUE9UU66RM%3A&vet=1&w=1000&h=1000&hl=en-gb&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Drawcad, thanks for the offer, we have had years of planning fights with our local council and although we won hands down (went to Secretary of State to appeal) I know they will fight anything I do as their nose is out of joint ?. So if it’s got wheels we can move it about (er indoors is bound to say “I fancy it over there instead”, yes dear comes the reply. Thanks for your offer, hoping to do this over the winter after I finish the house so I may well get in touch, here is an example of what we fancy.

@joe90

I like the gypsy caravan style a lot. I've started looking at planning permission for the Summer House and here's what I know:

Planning permission is not required if outbuildings are:

Single Storey

Max 2.5m high

No antennas or satellite dishes

Cover of a Max. of 50% of the area of available land.

No closer to the road/ highway than the main building.

If these boxes are all ticked you can have this building less than 2m from the property boundary.

What have you been fighting to build? Is there something about your property which moves the goalposts?

Our planning permission was for a cottage on the site of a derelict timber and asbestos bungalow of about the same footprint, Torridge district council are renowned for being awkward and we were told by many if we were 1 mile away over the Cornwall border we would have had no problem. Torridge have a preference for bungalows or room in roof, they argued many things like access using an existing entrance put in in 2011 with full permissions etc etc, anyway we won in the end. The field we own next to our property is agricultural and we have been told there is NO way any permissions will be granted for building in this field. We plan to turn the field into a meadow, keep various ducks, geese and maybe sheep and put the Shepard’s hut there at times. Previously my wife (who owned the property for decades) was told she could not have a 1.5m x 1m chicken house as it needed planning!!! I am very aware of rights regarding planning hence the reason I aurgued our case and won ?.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DrawCAD said:

@joe90

I like the gypsy caravan style a lot. I've started looking at planning permission for the Summer House and here's what I know:

Single Storey

Max 2.5m high

If these boxes are all ticked you can have this building less than 2m from the property boundary.

What have you been fighting to build? Is there something about your property which moves the goalposts?

Depending on the size and distance to boundary building regs may require substantially non-combustible materials.

F

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrawCAD said:

@Onoff I use 2D DraftSight, professional grade and virtually identical to AutoCAD.

I use it too. I notice genuine AutoCAD throws a hissy fit when you open a drawing created in Draftsight. Draftsight has limited 3D capabilities but if you create a solid in DS you can't then edit in AutoCAD. I just have the free version of DS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrawCAD said:

Single Storey

Max 2.5m high

And the property is NOT in a special area, e.g. conservation area, AONB, National Park etc.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I find that if a CAD package is compared to AutoCAD, I am instantly distracted from it.

That's probably because AutoCad has an arcane user interface that was invented when it first came out and ran on DOS.  The first release I used ran on DOS, with a dongle plugged into the parallel port to verify that you were the licence holder.  IIRC, the machine was a state of the art (for the time) 386, with a maths co-processor (essential to get AutoCad to run) clocked at a blistering 20 MHz.  You could actually see vectors redrawing on the screen if you refreshed the viewport.

The interface hasn't changed much since, and I find I still tend to type in commands as often as I use the mouse, simply because the command line was the better way of drawing quickly back then.

Autocad was always intended as a replacement for a drawing board, and so the whole philosophy of the user interface assumed that users were already competent draftspeople.  If you weren't competent to use a drawing board and didn't understand normal drawing conventions, then AutoCad must have been a PITA to learn.

Now I find I really like AutoCad, just because I've got around 30 years experience of using it.  I've tried far more modern packages, like Solidworks, Rhinoceros and even had to get to grips with CATIA when I was running the Future Lynx programme, at least as far as being able to manipulate some of the models to see what the designers were up to with the novel, machined from solid, airframe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrawCAD said:

@JSHarris  To be honest I'd rather use AutoCAD but it's too expensive.

I was lucky, in that I was allowed to keep a copy when I retired, but it's a bit old now.  Does everything I want though, and was still more than good enough to design our house with.

Just now, JSHarris said:

I was lucky, in that I was allowed to keep a copy when I retired, but it's a bit old now.  Does everything I want though, and was still more than good enough to design our house with.

@JSHarrisDraft Sight is pretty much identical so I'll continue to use it for the time being. Having AutoCAD would be ideal, especially if there are possible compatibility issues.  I understand Autodesk have slammed the door on registering older products now.