Ordering concrete, how to sound like a trade pro.

Can someone suggest the right trade lingo when phoning up a business to get a quote for the supply of foundation concrete? By "right trade lingo" I mean language that will lead to the best price.

Edit: Looking to trenchfill 70m linear meters of 600m wide trench that is 1m deep, so for quotation purposes I make that 40 m3.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Alow mate, got a new billed apenin in a cuppla weeks

gunna need a good few cube, 

bout 40 I rekon 

then the floor screed, yer loads to do 

what’s ya best on that, Cubs I asked that uver mob darn the road like and they sed 

75 squid a cube

what ya rekon fella. 

This his works best sarf of Watford. 

Not sure how well it would go down in sunny Yorkshire. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Have been looking at concrete lorry load capacity which is about 6 m3. Would I get 1 lorry per hour arriving on site through the day?

I reckon 2 to 3 loads for the garage and the rest (4 to 5) for the house.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

It doesn't pay to sound professional, the price is the same unless you are a house builder.

Make sure you explain you don't know exactly how much you need and you want 6 full loads "PLUS" that means you get to choose how much you put inthe final mixer when it comes.

You may need more or less than anticipated.

You get 20 mins to unload the concrete

31 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Always order extra. If they have to send out a lorry with just 1m3 on it you will pay for that big time.

What do they do with the surplus? Presumably it will be well on the way to curing by the time the lorry returns to base with the unused portion of the load.

Ok couple of things. 

If you are going to order extra, try to have another job where you can use it. 

Small slab for mvhr to sit on

path down to shed

path between vegi beds

if they take it away they will charge you more for disposal than it cost to supply. 

Post up a pic of your site and we can tell you how you are getting it in the trenches. 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do not underestimate the size and weight of the concrete truck. 

If you have a concrete drive to come up it WILL break it, if the ground is wet it WILL sink

you need a solid roadway up to you site. 

Or you WILL-make a mess

Or get a nice long armed pump ! Makes the job easier and truck can be a mile away ?

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

How are you getting it from the chute to the founds, digger bucket, dumper, pump or poured straight in??

I have been considering this. There is a well compacted internal site road that has taken heavy deliveries in worse weather. The concrete lorry can get within 8 meters of the nearest house foundations while remaining on that site road and the far corner of the house is 10 meters further away. A bit of Google indicates a standard delivery chute has a 3m max reach.

The green field site is now solid with a firm grass surface at the moment even so I doubt a 25 ton loaded lorry will venture onto that. There is time to lay the hardcore for the 15m long term drive into the plot.

The pour team will be a scratch team, so I guess this all points to a pump?

Here is the site layout. The site road is actually half the width compared to my hand drawn attempt. Each square is 1m.

The site is level and the lorry could leave the site road at any point subject to ground condition. The shaded finger along the left side of the plot is the future drive which could be laid to hardcore.

IMG_2263.JPG

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Can someone suggest the right trade lingo when phoning up a business to get a quote for the supply of foundation concrete? By "right trade lingo" I mean language that will lead to the best price.

Edit: Looking to trenchfill 70m linear meters of 600m wide trench that is 1m deep, so for quotation purposes I make that 40 m3.

Go in with all your calls written on the back of a fag packet

and they’ll think your a real pro 

Pump all the way .....

Get a price from a pump company to supply both pump and concrete and it becomes zero rated for VAT. That could save you quite a chunk on VAT reclaim. 

Pump grade is very different stuff though - 10mm aggregate and needs to be perfect consistency. You also need a couple of bags of cement to prime the pump and somewhere to wash out the pump which could have up to 1/2cube left in it depending on the machine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Pump all the way .....

Thank you for taking time to assess this. Was your clear advice influenced mostly by the unprepared ground/distance from the site road or lack of a heavyweight ground worker crew?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Get a price from a pump company to supply both pump and concrete and it becomes zero rated for VAT. That could save you quite a chunk on VAT reclaim. 

Ok. Would a direct concrete only supply be subject to VAT as it is just a material, if so that is quite a large chunk of VAT saved.

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Thank you for taking time to assess this. Was your clear advice influenced mostly by the unprepared ground/distance from the site road or lack of a heavyweight ground worker crew?

Ok. Would a direct concrete only supply be subject to VAT as it is just a material, if so that is quite a large chunk of VAT saved.

Bit of both on the first one - you need a decent crew on a pump, and I would leave it to someone else to have the nightmares ! The other big plus is that if the pump and concrete are one supply, its up to them to co-ordinate and decide how much is needed etc. If you can get to a pour point near the trenches then use a self compacting and flowing concrete and save the £4-500 for the pump but you may find its not that easy.

Direct supply would be VAT rated and 40 cuM is going to be £4k or thereabouts plus the 20% VAT depending on location.

16 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

You can't . You need to know the people involved.

Here Be Dragons. Lots of them. Get a contractor you can trust.

I was rumbled within seconds, even so the outcome was good with a pleasant price for the pump-able stuff and plenty of advice.

The supplier will assign two wagons to my site on the day and these will run in a shuttle (about 8 miles each way)  to feed the pump, should be all done within 4 hours.

Last night while reading the House Builder's Bible again I noted that trench fill is typically left 150mm below ground level so I was able to shave 15% off my cubic estimate.

Born of my experience talking to roofers yesterday with phones that sound like the summit of Snowdon in a windstorm, you could try:

Make gurgling noises into phone.

”Hello, I’m in a drain”

or

In Truth, I’m on a Roof

It perhaps more about sounding credible and not-a-plonker or timewaster, and being willing to spend the t8me making it easier for them. That is if it is a decent supplier.

And as you say it went OK - good stuff.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Make sure you create a pit for waste concrete.

A shallow trench, a few pegs and four boards will do. Get the  driver to flush the concrete into the pit; hey presto, a level, firm work surface - almost free of charge.

Or a shed base, or dustbin spot.