New Build Plumbing Costs

ultramods

Can anyone tell me if these plumbing costs seam reasonable please?

We only received two quotes for the plumbing, one at 27k and the other at 20k.

To me it looks like the majority of the 20k is labour costs, roughly 45 days @ £40 per hour. Would it really take that long?

We are providing all sanitaryware, taps, kitchen + utility sinks, showers, shower screens and upstairs radiators.

414178339_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_28_40.thumb.png.318b6456f1d8a57a2b4bba4675592f25.png

595323027_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_34_44.thumb.png.ce6e7fd8701742086ae5936f1cfe5f29.png

467958017_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_34_22.thumb.png.132110d0856c5633a1cc9c827a236c7e.png

665390877_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_34_10.thumb.png.81fdeaf6357c5474b5eb2ab8b78a779c.png551016353_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_35_06.thumb.png.d2b48c3c367329715d4ae183d7902942.png1543907189_ScreenShot2018-04-28at16_34_57.thumb.png.8656a7535e18ce57a857fdc72d9a0354.png

Edited by ultramods

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

why get a plumber to do the guttering and flashing?

How are they welding the copper pipes?

The architect put it out to tender. He asked the plumbers and the roofers to quote for the flashings and guttering.

I don't know how they would be welding the copper pipes, are there a lot of different methods?

According to the latest issue of the house builders bible the reference model house of 160 m2 has about £12k of costs covering heting, plumbing and bathroom aspects of the build. Those model house costs do not include guttering, underfloor heating or warranty. Also some plumbing costs are attributed to named rooms so my £12k approximation could be out by +10%. The author of the book takes a no nonsense nothing fancy approach in his model house.

Given additional bathrooms and your larger property I reckon your quotes are reasonable. His labour costs are about 35% which could indicate you are being quoted for bargain basement fittings particularly in the bathrooms.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

According to the latest issue of the house builders bible the reference model house of 160 m2 has about £12k of costs covering heting, plumbing and bathroom aspects of the build. Those model house costs do not include guttering, underfloor heating or warranty. Also some plumbing costs are attributed to named rooms so my £12k approximation could be out by +10%. The author of the book takes a no nonsense nothing fancy approach in his model house.

Given additional bathrooms and your larger property I reckon your quotes are reasonable. His labour costs are about 35% which could indicate you are being quoted for bargain basement fittings particularly in the bathrooms.

We are providing all sanitaryware, taps, kitchen/utility sink, showers, shower screens and upstairs radiators.

I think they're just referring to normal soldered joints. 

If it were different it would say push-fit / press-fit / compression, but the method of soldering copper joints uses what we call "end-feed" fittings ( just regular copper joints to you and I ) so that what I believe they are offering. E.g. a pukka job. 

£20k for that doesn't sound crazy tbh, but very strange for a plumber to quote the guttering. Lead maybe but again a bit odd. Who is actually going to do that work ? The plumber or a sub-contractor ? If the latter then can't you get quotes direct to you instead of via a 3rd party? 

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ultra mods beat me to it, not in the quote so labour is a LOT of the quote. 

Just now, ultramods said:

@ £40 per hour this would be 45 days labour, would it really take 1 plumber that long?

Where did you get the £45 figure?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I think they're just referring to normal soldered joints. 

If it were different it would say push-fit / press-fit / compression, but the method of soldering copper joints uses what we call "end-feed" fittings ( just regular copper joints to you and I ) so that what I believe they are offering. E.g. a pukka job. 

£20k for that doesn't sound crazy tbh, but very strange for a plumber to quote the guttering. Lead maybe but again a bit odd. Who is actually going to do that work ? The plumber or a sub-contractor ? If the latter then can't you get quotes direct to you instead of via a 3rd party? 

Ultra mods beat me to it, not in the quote so labour is a LOT of the quote. 

Where did you get the £45 figure?

@Nickfromwales Do you mean £40 or 45 days labour?

£40 was really just a guestimate.

45 days was @nod £19,680-£5000 / £40 per hour / 8 hours per day

@Nickfromwales the architect put the work out to tender to individual trades and asked the roofer and plumbers to quote for the lead and guttering. I think I will be project managing the build.

Edited by ultramods

6 minutes ago, ultramods said:

We are providing all sanitaryware, taps, kitchen/utility sink, showers, shower screens and upstairs radiators.

That throws out my attempt to compare your costs with the HBB's model house. He quotes £4,800 per bathroom comprised of £1,700 labour and £3,100 materials. The HBB also provides a fine grained breakdown of contributory costs which you could use to produce a ground up budget though no doubt @recoveringacademicwill be along in a moment to talk about the wonders of SPONS.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ultramods said:

The architect put it out to tender. He asked the plumbers and the roofers to quote for the flashings and guttering.

I don't know how they would be welding the copper pipes, are there a lot of different methods?

As DO pointed out

If there is anything you feel confident in doing yourself

Ask them to knock it off

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nod said:

As DO pointed out

If there is anything you feel confident in doing yourself

Ask them to knock it off

I would love to do it all myself, but don't really have the time and I know it would take me far longer than the estimated 8 months.

I am planning on fitting the wooden cladding for the garage walls, dry fit the kitchen and utility and probably some/all of the painting.

We are doing a 260m2 1.5storey house, 3 ensuites , bathroom and wc, underfloor heating downstairs, radiators upstairs a thermal store tank, oil boiler, u/f heating supply and fit by company 3850, we are supplying everything else, tank boiler radiators all bathroom fittings, kitchen sink and all pipe work plumber on a labour only price £5900. Roofer Will do lead work gutters etc

Edited by Christine Walker
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We are doing a 260m2 1.5storey house, 3 ensuites , bathroom and wc, underfloor heating downstairs, radiators upstairs a thermal store tank, oil boiler, u/f heating supply and fit by company 3850, we are supplying everything else, tank boiler radiators all bathroom fittings, kitchen sink and all pipe work plumber on a labour only price £5900. Roofer Will do lead work gutters etc

Don't suppose your plumber lives near Aberdeen? ;)

Have you had a quote from an underfloor heating company? I only ask because all the plumbers we spoke to weren’t interested in doing the underfloor and the company supplying it are doing the  installation for £850 so we decided to go with them better than trying to get someone to do it that knows very little about it. On our last build my hubby did it all himself- 5 miles of pipes but I’ve put my foot down this time- laying pipes with me as a labourer on Hogmanay is not my idea of fun

@Christine Walker Plumbers that have quoted us are experienced in UFH. I have thought about doing it myself with help from my dad as he did it in his self build. Only thing that puts me off doing it is if i put some pipe in the wrong place and one of the steels is attached to the floor and goes through a pipe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ultramods said:

@Christine Walker Plumbers that have quoted us are experienced in UFH. I have thought about doing it myself with help from my dad as he did it in his self build. Only thing that puts me off doing it is if i put some pipe in the wrong place and one of the steels is attached to the floor and goes through a pipe.

You can get all the advice you need here. 

Draw it out and study it, or Wunda ( for eg ) will design it for you for.........bugger all. 

Use the money you save to buy beer. A very important component of any build. 

Dilly Dilly :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can get all the advice you need here. 

Draw it out and study it, or Wunda ( for eg ) will design it for you for.........bugger all. 

Use the money you save to buy beer. A very important component of any build. 

Dilly Dilly :D

thanks @Nickfromwales. I have already had a quote from Wunda. So do you think the 20k quote sounds reasonable for the work?

Just now, ultramods said:

thanks @Nickfromwales. I have already had a quote from Wunda. So do you think the 20k quote sounds reasonable for the work?

It's an unanswerable question because of the quote being made up of mixed disciplines TBH. 

Ask for a quote for the oddities and the plumbing etc as two separate items and then we can work out what's what. 

Architects are wonderful folk, but when they put things out to tender it's usually via the straightest route. Not always the best route.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Architects are wonderful folk, but when they put things out to tender it's usually via the straightest route. Not always the best route.  

Wonderful as in they come out with ideas that cause other to think

I 'wonder' how they think that will work?

I 'wonder' how they thing we are going to achieve that?

Sometime culminating in 

I 'wonder' why I paid for that crap?

Not knocking all of them .... but ... going on my own experience!!!

• Haha 2