Fork lift

Aimed mainly at those that have completed their build

how many times would a telehandler have been useful 

if you had of had one would you have done things that you put off

i have a 100m driveway that I can’t get an artic down, I’m wondering how many trucks are going to come without an HIAB 

my build is going to be icf with a beam and block floor

trying to work out the depreciation as I won’t be able to sell it with vat so will take a hit on that at the very least. 

Keep an eye for another self builder selling one beats the vat. Buy wisely you may break even when you sell it. We bought a old jcb 3cx with 4in1 front bucket (forks that flip over bucket) been a handy bit of kit. Starting from scratch again I don't know what way i would go a 3cx, telehandler or tracked digger. We didn't use it much for the ICF though. 

Are you handy around engines & hydraulics? 

Wont your digger lift most things ?  If i had a decent digger and a dumper i would be unstoppable. I am delaying so many jobs as i dont have a digger and due to location hiring one on an ad hoc basis is just to expensive. Been offered the loan of one at the end of summer so will have all the jobs lined up and just hire a dumper and grab a sidekick to drive that while i go crazzy on the digger. 

Already got a tracked excavator, and it helps me do all those jobs that are too heavy for one bloke,

im thinking the handyness of being able to lift all the pallets of blocks for the block n beam floor and drop them all in position will be a godsend, I’ve also got 3 glue lam beams in the roof that could do with lifting up

im good on the spanner’s I think the drama is the vat as I would lose possibly £1800 in vat. 

I can hire one no problem as I have accounts with a couple of plant companies, it’s just never having it there when I actually need it. 

Ho hum, more thinking. 

10 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

i have a 100m driveway that I can’t get an artic down, I’m wondering how many trucks are going to come without an HIAB 

Unless you're buying from builder's merchants, HIABs are few and far between.

Virtually everything of any size that we ordered came palletised on a truck with a tail lift. The best we could hope for was for them to back up close to the house and manhandle the pallet onto the very bumpy drive with a pallet truck.

I thought of a Telehandler,  3CX  or similar for off loading and other tasks but on my build I have used a Telehandler once for roof materials , local farmer.  Arctic came with a Moffat to deliver insulation, all timber deliveries have been off loaded with Hi-ab. Steels went up with a Genie lift and Glulam ridge lifted in place with digger and home made jib attached to  the bucket. So far the cost has been  under £250.00.  I still want one though........

Edited by JamesP
Spellin

The extending rear arm on a 3cx been v handy aswell. The way we lifted the ridge beam into place I don't think a telehandler would have been a benefit (20m in one lift with 2x genie lifts @ 7m height).  We needed a telehandler for the windows (300 plus vat per week) and I think would be brillant for any block work.