My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

1 minute ago, newhome said:

We're down to 12kw now so on a go slow so I think the boiler's having a cuppa. The dial next to the PHE reads 50 and the other one reads 45. It's been like that for a fair bit so I don't think the TS is going to get any hotter with the boiler set to 65. Might be wrong but just a feeling ...... 

Yup, and one of the things I spoke to Technical about was my concern that the PHE wasn't man enough for the job. A fear that may now be realised. 

When you say a fair time, how long?

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

The cock's indispensable or the stat? ;)

don't need a stat!

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If someone has a stat outside the boiler room that controls the temperature of the cylinder, then that is 100% a cock-stat. Sorry, but thats just a fact. :P:D

defo the wrong place and seriously impressed with the info/help in this post  

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup, and one of the things I spoke to Technical about was my concern that the PHE wasn't man enough for the job. A fear that may now be realised. 

When you say a fair time, how long?

20 mins ago I reckon. Hasn't got any hotter since then. Boiler power is down to 6kw now so just ticking over. 

Ok, so its doing what its supposed to do. Is it scaling hot, or can you just about keep your hand on it? Its mounted upside down which is a huge no-no for pumps. The pump should have been located elsewhere in the run so it could be horizontal or vertical facing upwards. The reason I ask how hot it is is to ascertain if the bearings are overheating. 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, so its doing what its supposed to do. Is it scaling hot, or can you just about keep your hand on it? Its mounted upside down which is a huge no-no for pumps. The pump should have been located elsewhere in the run so it could be horizontal or vertical facing upwards. The reason I ask how hot it is is to ascertain if the bearings are overheating. 

Is like trying to keep your hand on the hottest radiator. Touch it and remove hand! Couldn't keep my hand on it. 

Just now, newhome said:

What should I have done with the red things? They are all open max just now which is what they were to start with. 

Leave them on max for now. From the pics they are both outgoing, so shouldn't interfere with heating the TS, but if set to max then moot. 

Strange that the TS isn't drawing at least 50% / 9kw from the boiler to get the TS up to target temp of 65oC. My suspicion is that the PHE isn't man enough. Either that or its partially blocked, but id only know that by removing it and checking against the manufacturers spec etc. 

Are all the UFH manifolds ( did I hear you say that theres 4 full manifolds doing soave heating ? ) lower than the TS, eg is it upstairs and the manifolds are low down upstairs and low down downstairs ?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Leave them on max for now. From the pics they are both outgoing, so shouldn't interfere with heating the TS, but if set to max then moot. 

Strange that the TS isn't drawing at least 50% / 9kw from the boiler to get the TS up to target temp of 65oC. My suspicion is that the PHE isn't man enough. Either that or its partially blocked, but id only know that by removing it and checking against the manufacturers spec etc. 

Are all the UFH manifolds ( did I hear you say that theres 4 full manifolds doing soave heating ? ) lower than the TS, eg is it upstairs and the manifolds are low down upstairs and low down downstairs ?

There are 4 of the red things. 

Yes 4 full manifolds. Sorry not understanding what you mean by low. Low temperature? How do I know? 

Im trying to work out if the TS could be fed direct by the boiler by connecting it to the sealed and pressurised circuits. That would do away with the F&E tank, and do away with the PHE. 

The red topped TMV's nearest the two green pumps need to be fully open if poss. 

Pics as requested please if poss. 

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I cant work out why the green pump would be 

a) on

b) so hot you can burn yourself on it if the boiler is only chucking out 50-60oC at the mo as shown by the thermometers. 

Maybe I is a wimp?  :D

Pics below. The room isn’t that big so not that easy to get zoomed out pics. Well not on iPhone anyway. Dog photobombed photo 4 ;)

Temp gauges still at 45 and 50 respectively. 

2 sets of manifolds are 670mm to the higher of the 2 horizontal pipes (hot?) downstairs. There are 2 sets upstairs which are physically higher of course. 

EBB70239-AE91-4134-B826-9A7ECE0E30A6.jpeg

F7D12721-B758-4360-9A45-9C3ABA09FD5C.jpeg

70CF1B8A-507A-4F85-BBC7-8137EB06D27E.jpeg

FCA97E6C-4612-4E72-ACAB-F08D7F8B89C2.jpeg