UFH after a fire

Conor Matthews

I have just bought a property which was newly built in 2013 , shortly after being occupied the property was fire damaged. The UFH system was decommissioned shortly after the fire which extensively damaging the wooden joists & rafters however did not impact on the floor slab. The building was left exposed to the elements for the past 4 years, my question , is the UFH pipe work in the slab still fit for purpose ? 

Hi Conor

I have split this post into a new thread as it was not really related to the existing thread you posted it in.

My gut feeling is since most UFH uses plastic pipes, it is highly likely the pipes may have been heat damaged where they exit the floor slab into the manifold. A careful examination of that area, and if they look okay a pressure test will confirm their integrity.

• Thanks 1

Hi Conor - like @ProDave I would suggest the best course of action would be to pressure test the loops. I would expect any damage would have been caused to the exposed pipework at the manifold so I would check that first. Removing the manifold will create you a few issues but I would want to test each loop to a minimum of 4 bar wet pressure and leave it for 24hrs to show any leakage. 

You may end up digging out some of the pipework near  the manifold to extend the existing loops if they were damaged but that is par for the course in this sort of situation. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Hi Conor

I have split this post into a new thread as it was not really related to the existing thread you posted it in.

My gut feeling is since most UFH uses plastic pipes, it is highly likely the pipes may have been heat damaged where they exit the floor slab into the manifold. A careful examination of that area, and if they look okay a pressure test will confirm their integrity.

Hi Dave, 

Apologies for jumping in on your previous tread, it's my first time joining a forum so I am not 100 % sure about the protocol and how to post questions. 

I examined the pipe work from the slab to the manifold its absolutely perfect, I'll send photos after my next site visit.

Their was no fire damage to the ground floor and 95% of the first floor joists are without fire damage the bulk of the damage was confined to the roof. 

The manifold was removed , I was going to blow air down the lines to figure out the flow and return and then hook up a new manifold and 

run a pressure test - what's the recommended pressure to use ? 

Many Thanks

conor 

3 hours ago, Conor Matthews said:

I was going to blow air down the lines to figure out the flow and return and then hook up a new manifold and 

run a pressure test

I reckon it will have water in it as there is  nowhere for it to go, so I would flush it with clean water to find the loops if you use a pair of JG Sp****it appliance taps you can normally get them to push onto the pipe and then hook the hose to that - as soon as you work out which loop is which, run the hose through them for a few minutes to flush out any crud. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I reckon it will have water in it as there is  nowhere for it to go, so I would flush it with clean water to find the loops if you use a pair of JG Sp****it appliance taps you can normally get them to push onto the pipe and then hook the hose to that - as soon as you work out which loop is which, run the hose through them for a few minutes to flush out any crud. 

If it's 15mm UFH pipe not 16mm ;)

It needs to be a reliable positive connection for pressure testing.  

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it's 15mm UFH pipe not 16mm ;)

It needs to be a reliable positive connection for pressure testing.  

Yep however to flush them out and fill full of water it’s not that important but I agree @Nickfromwales for the pressure test you need to get the right size ...