Pre-Filter for Log Burner Smells

Hi Chaps,

I've been installing my Vent Axia MVHR system the last few days (designed by BPC), its got the basic filter installed which I'm planning on changing to a F7 type. I'd like to add a pre-filter and a carbon filter. I've not got the time to make my own so would really like an off the shelf product. I saw the Blauberg Clean Box which has a set of 3 filters, but is expensive and the filters are extortionate. I'm also not sure about the added air resistance.

Any ideas on a simple solution? I don't mind spending a few quid as long as I can get the filters subsequently for a reasonable price.

Thanks

When I discussed this issue with my preferred MVHR supplier they suggested that the carbon filter be placed after the unit, so the cheap filter in the unit reduces the build up of crap on the expensive carbon filter, but also said leave room for it to be installed inline but leave it to see if it’s needed, as it isn’t actually needed that often.  That works for me.

And @Duncan62, I looked up that link, it says it’s a 420 filter.  Are there lots of very relaxed people around your place? 😉 

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I was amazed just how filthy our intake filter was after just a month, it was black.

I made a pre-filter using tights as the filter element. Catches all the big crud before the air gets to the MVHR filters. Works well. 

3 hours ago, Duncan62 said:

I'm v sensitive to this so so be installing a large carbon filter on the intake to the mvhr.

There is a pig farm not too far from where we live and on occasions it stinks to high heaven. To date we’ve never smelt it indoors with the standard MVHR filters (and tights!)

• Like 1

I used car pollen filters for our MVHR as the genuine ones were a rip off. I got a good deal recently so I switched back and the crappy MDF frame I made to support them with tape was falling apart.

It'd be an ideal project for a 3d printer to make a frame for them. 

They're cheap and carbon versions are readily available. 

You can search by dimensions here.

https://www.mann-filter.com/uk-en/catalogue.html#newproducts

• Like 1

My MVHR is still not commissioned. But I’m always amazed that this topic doesn’t generate more discussion. Of course circumstances differ, but I’m in the countryside with 2 neighbours that have log burners going all winter. I went with the Zehnder comfowell filter box because it will be easy to get hold of the filters over the long term. You will need to size the filter box to your system requirements. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benben5555 said:

pressure drops and airflow, but I don't understand if these would be an issue

Really depends on your system design and where you sit with regard pressure drops. More pressure drops require higher fan speed and more potential noise. You can always go big and use reducer to you duct - bigger the filter the lower the pressure drop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

My MVHR is still not commissioned. But I’m always amazed that this topic doesn’t generate more discussion. Of course circumstances differ, but I’m in the countryside with 2 neighbours that have log burners going all winter. I went with the Zehnder comfowell filter box because it will be easy to get hold of the filters over the long term. You will need to size the filter box to your system requirements. 

Thank you! This I think is what I've been searching for! Which size did you use and where is it mounted? Between intake and MVHR unit? Or before the manifold?

3 minutes ago, benben5555 said:

Thank you! This I think is what I've been searching for! Which size did you use and where is it mounted? Between intake and MVHR unit? Or before the manifold?

I have a Zehnder ComfoAir Q600. Looking at the design spec for my install the supply air (240m­³/hr =67l/s). I went with the Zehnder ComfoWell filter housing, CW-F 625. 

https://www.zehnder.co.uk/en/productsceletons/zehnder-comfowell-filter-box/zehnder-comfowell-filter-housing-cw-f-625

Due to space constraints in my install, I have the filter on the intake before the MVHR unit. The filter is designed to be fitted on the supply pipe after the attenuator and before the manifold. 

image.thumb.png.c573a4a757f8f8c685013fec813817d2.png

• Like 1

When our neighbour installed a wood burner I went in to full-on damage limitation mode, admittedly prior to even knowing whether there was any damage to limit! Instead of additional filters though what I did was install an air quality sensor in the intake duct and if/when it detects smoke particles (actually, it is not that discriminatory but smoke is within scope of what it can pick up) it triggers the MVHR to stop pumping in air for a while. There's some info of the approach here:

Incidentally, it turns out that in practice my wife's cooking appears to be arguably more of a threat than the neighbour's wood burner! So, I now have *two* sensors - one that turns the MVHR down if the neighbour's wood burner goes wild and another that boosts it when dinner's nearly ready. 😂

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

I’ve got a blauberg Cleanbox, it’s still on its first carbon filter 3 years in, and has done a cracking job, not had any smoke smells since it went in.

the other filters have been replaced once, a new G4 and then replaced the F7 with a H15, but agreed they are expensive.

I too found the Comfowell, but not til after I’d got this one. It’s available in the UK from Paul HR direct - https://www.paulheatrecovery.co.uk/product-category/mvhr-ducting/comfowell-modular-air-manifold-silencer-system/

id probably have gone for that just based on cost if I’d found it sooner!

10 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I’ve got a blauberg Cleanbox, it’s still on its first carbon filter 3 years in, and has done a cracking job, not had any smoke smells since it went in.

the other filters have been replaced once, a new G4 and then replaced the F7 with a H15, but agreed they are expensive.

I too found the Comfowell, but not til after I’d got this one. It’s available in the UK from Paul HR direct - https://www.paulheatrecovery.co.uk/product-category/mvhr-ducting/comfowell-modular-air-manifold-silencer-system/

id probably have gone for that just based on cost if I’d found it sooner!

The comfowell looks like a good solution, can't believe I've not come across it sooner! Thanks