Cat6a cable everywhere, um, now what?

Evening all, so I spec'd network cable all over the place but haven't really thought through what needs to go at the end of it. I really have no idea re networks - what do I need? Our internet connection is going to come via 4G if that makes any difference. Do I need a router or a switch?

Both, probably!  your router will only have a small number of switchports.  To put it as simply as possible, at one end of the cat6 you’ll have your endpoints (tv, Xbox, etc etc) at the other end in your comms cabinet you’d commonly have a patch panel, from this panel you’ll use patch leads into a multiport switch, you’d connect the switch to your 4g/5g router.  It’s possible to do without the patch panel and crimp rj45 plugs and connect these straight to the switch, but it’s not something that I’d do…

Router > switch > patch panel which connects to the sockets around the place. The switch may need to supply power to the sockets it's called POE (Power Over Ethernet), EG for camera's, wifi access points. This means you buy a switch with a number of POE outlets and the rest normal. If you want to use the  CAT6 for anything special - EG HDMI over CAT6 then you will need some additional tech. 

YouTube is your friend here. It all feels very complicated and hard work at first glance, but once you figure out what needs to be done.... You're simply repeating that 50x (or however many Cat6a you have). It then looks obscenely complicated due to the sheer volume of cables.

Terminate everything at a patch panel.   Then workout how many need to be POE. Eg cameras, access points, non POE may include TV, computer, printer, hue bridge etc etc.   buy a switch with the correct number of ports (POE and Non POE).  (I’m a Ubiquiti fan but others available).  Get patch leads and connect from the Patch Panel to the switch. Connect a cable from your router to the switch, disable router wifi and you’re sorted.  

btw. Suggest you get a little data cabinet keeps everything clean and tidy. 

Edited by PNAmble
  • Like 2

If you have no use/plan for them at the minute, save money and just cover them over. Don't be spending more on networking kit if it's not needed. If you have a slow 4g internet connection, a high speed wired network is a bit redundant tbh. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, so I need a patch panel, patch leads, switch, data cabinet - would I ideally have power going to the data cabinet? I'll have a look at Ubiquiti...

42 minutes ago, Conor said:

Don't be spending more on networking kit if it's not needed. If you have a slow 4g internet connection, a high speed wired network is a bit redundant tbh. 

Our 4G is great, we stream everything through it - faster than fibre at our previous address!

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Our 4G is great, we stream everything through it - faster than fibre at our previous address!

Although that sounds odd, many think fibre should be faster unless you are on a low data rate tariff. Actually the theoretical Max data rate on 4G is 1Gbs for stationary users while domestic fibre can easily make well over 1Gbs,  max in UK is 10Gbs, but the theoretical top is 5G which can max out at 20Gbs - in theory. The issue with them all is the infrastructure and number of users concentrated on your pathway. If you live near a motorway with a big jam suddenly you have a vast number of people using the 4/5G network and in the end that all hits the fibre backbone anyway.

Oh and yes you will definitely want power to your data cabinet.

>>> patch panel, patch leads, switch, data cabinet

I'm surprised people use a patch panel rather than just terminatiing the network cables and plugging them into a 12/24/48 port switch. You're not going to be doing a lot of patching-this-to-that and then re-routing stuff six months later. Also, the 'data cabinet' doesn't need to be some big heavy data centre-like thing - e.g. they have lightweight & shallow cabinets for musicians. e.g.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/19-inch-racks/innox-ina-sr4-studio-rack-4u

I guess if you're using Loxone etc and switching a bunch of mains, you need a bit more room.

Suggest 3 or 4 sockets for cabinet or a 4/6/8-way IEC strip like they would use in a proper cabinet. This kind of thing:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/pds8-c13/uk-mains-plug-to-8-way-iec-c13-switch-panel-rack-pdu-19-1u/dp/dp36294

I use to crimp all my cables but it’s mofo boring after a 100 . So now I buy pre made thread them through straight to poe switch . More expensive but less hassle . I try to buy cables in all different colours to make it easier to track .

2 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I'm surprised people use a patch panel rather than just terminatiing the network cables and plugging them into a 12/24/48 port switch. You're not going to be doing a lot of patching-this-to-that and then re-routing stuff six months later.

I find push down simple enough, you can label it up simply and from the front it looks much tidier with short patch leads. 

I'd definitely use a patch panel, tidier and easier to reconfigure when hardware changes, which it will.

Go with as big-a-cabinet as you can fit in. Even though everything you use will not necessarily rack-mounted you can add shelves for things that aren't.

You need power to the cabinet, I'd consider a UPS as this keeps Internet and network running (and CCTV etc.) in the event of a power cut. Off-lease 3kVA UPS's can be picked up quite cheap, which can be reconditioned with a new battery pack, generally available a good price. APC units are well support with after market kits.

I'd not buy a switch or a router until you know more about what you plan to connect up. If you have a large number of connections it may not be good value to have them all on a PoE switch, and maybe your CCTV will have an integral PoE Switch on the NVR, reducing the number of additional PoE connections you need. The 4G or Fibre provider will generally supply a router, although you can replace this with your own if you see an advantage such as managing Access Points.

There are so many different options, I'd spend some time to research and plan it out before buying too much hardware.

Edited to add:

Should have noted a 3kVA UPS is particularly heavy and deep, so full depth cabinet is required and I'd suggest floor standing.

Edited by IanR

On 04/08/2024 at 07:35, Conor said:

If you have no use/plan for them at the minute, save money and just cover them over. Don't be spending more on networking kit if it's not needed.

This is good advice.

I terminated everything at a patch panel, but several locations just have a coiled up network cable in a backbox, covered with a blank plate.

• Like 1

Thanks all, really helpful. For now I guess I'll just get a cabinet so the sparks has somewhere to take the cables to. Here's a picture where it'll go, the cables and power can come down from the trunking above, marked in green. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for wall mounted cabinets?

20240804_165949.jpg

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Thanks all, really helpful. For now I guess I'll just get a cabinet so the sparks has somewhere to take the cables to. Here's a picture where it'll go, the cables and power can come down from the trunking above, marked in green. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for wall mounted cabinets?

20240804_165949.jpg

Wouldn't even bother with that. Mine are coiled and taped up. In all fairness, I never go in to that room so don't mind the mess.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes 96 + outlets does seem a lot for a house.

Nah . If you have HA and most things poe then you can easily get near the magic 100 mark 😊

6 hours ago, Pocster said:

If you have HA and most things poe then you can easily get near the magic 100 mark 😊

Only by having camera's in places you shouldn't - I dimly recall your being knocked back across a rubicund you were thinking to cross in this regard.  

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Only by having camera's in places you shouldn't - I dimly recall your being knocked back across a rubicund you were thinking to cross in this regard.  

Still got maybe 10 cameras in or around the property .

I visited a timber frame build recently and the builder told me he runs Cat6 to every room in the house and provides a Unifi wifi access point in every room. He said it was because metal foil VCL interferes with the wifi. Is this overkill?

18 minutes ago, LnP said:

I visited a timber frame build recently and the builder told me he runs Cat6 to every room in the house and provides a Unifi wifi access point in every room. He said it was because metal foil VCL interferes with the wifi. Is this overkill?

Yes. Where is the VCL in relation to where you want radio signals to travel anyway?

Different Unifi access points also have different wireless characteristics. I have two LR (long-range) access points, one in the garage and one in the garden room. They have a more horizontal spread from a signal perspective, so work for longer ranges on a single horizontal plane (the ground floor). In the house, I have a Pro access point on the landing that serves all of the house quite happily. I don't have a metallic VCL, but I can't imagine any scenario where an access point would be required in every room.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LnP said:

That layer is on the external walls and ceiling so not sure how it would affect Wi-Fi within a building. 

• Like 1