Moving personal items into house prior to completion?

Hi All - has anyone used their house for storage prior to completion? Our loft is basically done and could provide valuable storage space to save costs of all of our belongings in storage. Once the electrician has done his stuff up there, we could put some boxes etc in the space and it wouldn't be in anyone's way. However, our builder has said that building control will come down on us (him) like a tonne of bricks and if even one item (he said a frying pan) is in the house, they will issue a fine. Thousands of ££. He can't point me to the legislation which says I can't do this but obviously I don't wish to incur any fines! Can anyone point me to the regs? I will not be moving in prior to completion! Just storing boxes.

• Like 1

It would have been clear to building control that we had a laundry set up inside the house shell, lots of stuff in storage,and a temporary office space.  They were not in the least concerned.

In Scotland you can a temporary habitation certificate to legally occupy a not finished house as long as some basic points are complete.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Conor said:

Your builder is talking shite

Quite possibly, but it's in his best interest that we put things in the house and move the whole process along! He said it was from May this year... that Stroma Building Control noted it on another build he works on. We have the same BC.

27 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Where are you England or Scotland? I’ve never heard of being fined for storing stuff. 

England. He said on another build the BC guy came round and said if he even saw a frying pan it was evidence someone was living there. And from May 2024 there were fines for 'moving in' prior to completion.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

t would have been clear to building control that we had a laundry set up inside the house shell, lots of stuff in storage,and a temporary office space.  They were not in the least concerned.

I understand this was OK up until May 2024 and the rules have changed... but I can find no solid info to back this up. But honestly can't see why he would lie about this. I know other self builders that basically moved in prior to completion but all I want to do is store some stuff!

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

Hi All - has anyone used their house for storage prior to completion? Our loft is basically done and could provide valuable storage space to save costs of all of our belongings in storage. Once the electrician has done his stuff up there, we could put some boxes etc in the space and it wouldn't be in anyone's way. However, our builder has said that building control will come down on us (him) like a tonne of bricks and if even one item (he said a frying pan) is in the house, they will issue a fine. Thousands of ££. He can't point me to the legislation which says I can't do this but obviously I don't wish to incur any fines! Can anyone point me to the regs? I will not be moving in prior to completion! Just storing boxes.

you wont be able to store anything in the loft unless it has had legs fitted to raise the boards above the insulation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

you wont be able to store anything in the loft unless it has had legs fitted to raise the boards above the insulation. 

Loft is complete; warm roof so insulation is in the roof, floor is boarded out and done. I think we're OK physically to store there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

I don’t think BC will care But you are likely to get clobbered for Council Tax

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I don’t think BC will care But you are likely to get clobbered for Council Tax

Oh really? Just for storing things onsite? Yikes. Thanks.

Sounds mad to me (I stored stuff on site prior to completion) BUT if your local authority has changed the rules then why not ask your BCO and perhaps ask him where you can view the councils decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Sounds mad to me (I stored stuff on site prior to completion) BUT if your local authority has changed the rules then why not ask your BCO and perhaps ask him where you can view the councils decision.

OK thanks! It's a BC company rather than the council. Maybe they can make their own rules about this sort of thing.

19 minutes ago, Cookie said:

It's a BC company rather than the council.

Oh, still ask the question (and supply documentation) but how can a private company, in your employ, fine you, they are not the post office 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cookie said:

OK thanks! It's a BC company rather than the council. Maybe they can make their own rules about this sort of thing.

No they can’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

They really won’t care 

Fully moved in 18 months before completion certificate issued, used it as a store for a year before that. We registered for council tax from moving in, not for storing stuff.