Why would someone build this here?

Drove past the Hanger Lane giratory yesterday. For those that don’t know it, it’s a very large roundabout with 4 lanes, and in some places 5, where the North Circular intersects with the A4005, the A40 and a little road called the Westgate. In the middle of the roundabout, you will find the Hanger Lane underground station.

Just next to the underground station, but still very much on the giratory itself, surrounded by roundabout, they have built this!

IMG_8127.thumb.jpeg.9c15ed1926043597884c4db5d0767d80.jpeg

Why?!? who is going to enjoy living there. it’s probably one of the most polluted spots in London. Horrible. 

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Is it flats or offices - either way won't it need car parking spaces?

Not sure. I assumed it was flats. Each floor looks a bit low to be offices.

Obviously not everyones "cup of tea" but it is all about lifestyle and short termism. A perfect abode for those working in London - I would imagine a lot of these "apartments" will be for the buy to let market - catering for the City types on a short term basis. Never intended to be a "forever home" - just servicing a need.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

And replaced with a mondeo ! 🤷‍♂️(diesel).

Yes, the most economical and cleanest car I have owned.  And I don't live in London.  When I worked there I had a Corsa (Mk2) automatic, but took the rain in most days.

Traffic pollution is being legislated out, congestion will probably be priced out.

I still have my collection of cycles, 5 of them.  More than I have cycling shorts.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

cleanest car I have owned. 

I don’t doubt it, my diesel Merc is bound to be cleaner than my 1968 triumph 2 litre. (Neither of which I can drive in 

bristols clean air zone without paying £9 a time, but I can ride my motorbike because the cameras face the front of the vehicles and motorbikes only have rear number plates 👀).

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

but I can ride my motorbike

I suspect my old Yamaha YDS3 was more polluting than nearly every car made in the last 40 years.

Being a two-stroke it always sounded broken and was dreadful of fuel.  I keep looking out for a Kawasaki H1 Mk3 for a 'final ride'.

From Wikipedia

Handling characteristics were not favorable according to many sources. "Viewed logically, the Kawasaki H1 had many flaws. The gearbox was odd, with neutral below first, the brakes very questionable and the handling decidedly marginal in every situation - except when the bike was stopped with the engine switched off. Not for nothing was the H1 known as, 'The triple with the ripple'"

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Drove past the Hanger Lane giratory yesterday. For those that don’t know it, it’s a very large roundabout with 4 lanes, and in some places 5, where the North Circular intersects with the A4005, the A40 and a little road called the Westgate. In the middle of the roundabout, you will find the Hanger Lane underground station.

Just next to the underground station, but still very much on the giratory itself, surrounded by roundabout, they have built this!

IMG_8127.thumb.jpeg.9c15ed1926043597884c4db5d0767d80.jpeg

Why?!? who is going to enjoy living there. it’s probably one of the most polluted spots in London. Horrible. 

London soon cured me of my affection for car ownership. 

I'd imagine that most of the residents of the upper floors will be just as unpolluted on a breezy day as anywhere else.

Besides, we need more homes. 

Edited by Iceverge
  • Like 1

I have always said (living in Bristol with bus lanes ) that congestion is good, it drives people onto public transport if it gets you there quicker and cheaper.

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you still register your car as a minicab to get around the congestion charge/ULEZ?

Nah, I stay in the Forest (or use the bike if I have to go into town).

"why would someone build this here?" 

Because there is profit in every stage. 

It doesn't matter if its needed, wanted or objected to.. If someone ticks a box, someone profits. 

That city is now a busted ol C-max everyone is afraid to turn the key fully off on. 

Must... Keep... Turning over.. Or we'll never get going again.