Bat Surveys

SBMS

We're currently going through the pain of having to have bat emergence surveys done following a preliminary roost assessment for bats (PRA) that identified there 'could be bats' for some old barns we have to knock down for planning.

We've been quoted £6k+VAT for the emergence surveys! Our quote is for full dusk surveys... infra red...video monitoring... a further survey 3 weeks later...

This is for about 4 small barns on the land and will set back our build timeframes (first survey mid may, next survey end of June so puts our planning permission submission back a lot...)

Two questions:

1. Does this price sound reasonable?

2. I am wondering if we should do another PRA with another company? It seems the one we picked may be overly...picky?

My quote (prior to the demolition of a single storey, double garage) was £522 + VAT for the following:

Bat Emergence Survey

Following the results of a Preliminary Roost Assessment the 1 x bat emergence survey is required to rule out/identify the presence of bat roosts associated with a single detached garage building. The survey can be conducted from May onward.

The assessment will consist of a single dusk emergence surveys. This is in-line with current professional bat survey guidelines (Collins et al, 2016).

The survey will be conducted to appropriate professional standards and led by a Natural England Licenced Ecologist (Class 2) and full member of CIEEM.

2 surveyors would be required to adequately observe bat activity associated with the
building.

A survey report will be produced containing the outcomes of the survey and any
necessary recommendations that will be required to satisfy the LPA.

I wonder if it's worth submitting your planning application with a request for the planners to add a condition requiring a "bat survey survey and satisfactory impact mitigattion plan if required" ? Might allow them to start processing the rest of the application

Their fees could go bonkers if that is the start, as you could need many more surveys, depending what they find. It might be because they are placing several surveyors at the same time? 

I found out too late that there is a big variation in costs, so definitely get more quotes. The Bat Licence itself is about £1K . Also the mitigation itself is up for discussion BEFORE the licence is obtained, so discuss siting of boxes etc to suit your needs. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Temp said:

I wonder if it's worth submitting your planning application with a request for the planners to add a condition requiring a "bat survey survey and satisfactory impact mitigattion plan if required" ? Might allow them to start processing the rest of the application

Thanks Temp But I think it now has to be part of the initial application in order for it to be validated. 

There is another strategy that sometimes works. I have done it for great crested newts.

We accept and welcome that great crested newts are native to the area.

We will therefore only carry out site clearing and earthworks works during the months of (can't remember) when the majority of newts have migrated to nearby ponds.

In advance of these months we will create a newt friendly area on site of undergrowth and a small pond, and rockeries for shelter, meanwhile keeping the rest of the site clear.

as part of the works we will create ...pond , undergrowth whatever to encourage GCNs to stay in the area and prosper.

We therefore do not see any justification for newt barriers or surveys. the only advantage of which would be for any consultants, who are not a rare breed.

Rewrite of course for bats a s appropriate. they don't like ponds.  bat boxes in advance and after the works might be better.

and remove cynical and sarcastic comments.

Mean it though,  and do what is good for the bats. bat boxes cost about £20 each with diy.

For our survey, before the ecologist arrived, I sealed up any nooks or crannies which might have looked appealing to sleepy bats. As hoped, he concluded an emergence survey wasn’t required. 

10 hours ago, LnP said:

For our survey, before the ecologist arrived, I sealed up any nooks or crannies which might have looked appealing to sleepy bats. As hoped, he concluded an emergence survey wasn’t required. 

I tried that as well but the LPA insisted that the emergence survey was still required - I would have "fought" it but it had already been dragging on for ages.

I asked the guy who did the preliminary assessment to indicate where he thought the bats would potentially roost - he supplied photographs with the areas marked and I subsequently sealed them all but this still wasn't enough for the LPA. And this was all despite the fact that, just over a year previously, I'd had a bat survey done which *didn't* require a emergence report! Of course, I couldn't rely on this previous report because, apparently, they "expire" after a year.

To provide some context, all I wanted to do was demolish an old run-down garage (image attached) and they made me jump through all of the hoops possible, causing me unwarranted delay and expense when anyone with any sense would take one look at the building and just agree to its demolition (even for safety's sake as the buttresses were collapsing) - it's all a *massive* con.

You don't need planning permission to demolish an outbuilding, even in a conservation area, if the volume is less than 115m3 but mine was arguably just under 120m3 - unfortunately, this made no difference so I learned not to expect any reasonable compromise from an LPA, ever.

Old Garage.jpg

Thanks all. Has anyone had any experience of firms in Lancashire that are reasonable and quick? Am looking at a couple options but any recommendations would be appreciated!

3 hours ago, SBMS said:

Thanks all. Has anyone had any experience of firms in Lancashire that are reasonable and quick? Am looking at a couple options but any recommendations would be appreciated!

This company was recommended by my planning consultant, as he had had good experience with them - Rachel Hacking.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phykell said:

I tried that as well but the LPA insisted that the emergence survey was still required - I would have "fought" it but it had already been dragging on for ages.

If a qualified ecologist says an emergence study is not required, it's hard to see how the LPA could argue with that. Do you have a planning consultant to argue your case?

1 minute ago, LnP said:

If a qualified ecologist says an emergence study is not required, it's hard to see how the LPA could argue with that. Do you have a planning consultant to argue your case?

The first report I had done said an emergence study wasn't required but that report expired and I was forced to have another one done. In that report, the ecologist said there was a very low risk of bats but that the building had places where bats *could* roost. I fixed the "holes" and slipped tiles and the LPA wasn't interested. I imagine I would have needed a repeat report because the LPA doesn't trust the householder but it the price difference wasn't worth the hassle. I might have been able to force the issue but I was more interested in saving time, hoping to get the thing demolished so that I could get on with the rebuild. I don't have a planning consultant - I just wanted to demolish an old, falling-down garage. All done now though.

4 hours ago, SBMS said:

I recall another reasonable quotation I had from kingdomecology.com - I would have gone with them had I not previously used WKS for my project. I think they operate in NW England. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Canski said:

been there and got the  £6.5 k t shirt. Do not leave them unattended.

C344887A-7089-48CE-A8D0-5D9F4C25E2B4.jpg

Leave what unattended? The bats or the ecologists??

20 hours ago, phykell said:

The first report I had done said an emergence study wasn't required but that report expired and I was forced to have another one done.

Is there not an option to use the first company again? Or ask them to update their previous report with a new date for a suitable fee.

All depends if the PLA are already aware of your unfavourable report.