Fire rated board query

Hass

55 minutes ago, Hass said:

Good Afternoon

i was wondering if there was a way to find out if a ceiling plasterboard is fire rated?

(already plastered and painted)

Take the light fitting down , if there is one ? And you should be able to identify the current board 

What i mean is, is there a way to check a ceiling has plasterboard that is fire rated?

i understand usually before skimmed its seen as pink, but is there a way to check years later. If the board is standard or fire rated?

1 minute ago, Hass said:

Unfortunately spot lights and skimmed, cant tell the colour?

any other way?

Take a spot light out , or floorboard up above,  if it's two storey. 

Failing that core a small piece out to check and patch it once checked 

33 minutes ago, ETC said:

Plasterboard on its own will not give you fire resistance.

I thought that 12mm of pink fire rated stuff was 30 minutes on its own with the grey being 30 minutes when skimmed. Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes somewhere or maybe I have wrong.

3 hours ago, Hass said:

Good Afternoon

i was wondering if there was a way to find out if a ceiling plasterboard is fire rated?

(already plastered and painted)

There all fire rated For at least 30 minutes 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I thought that 12mm of pink fire rated stuff was 30 minutes on its own with the grey being 30 minutes when skimmed. Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes somewhere or maybe I have wrong.

Fire resistance will only be achieved when used as part of a built system.

19 minutes ago, ETC said:

Nope. Need to be incorporated into a tested construction.

All ceilings have to have a minimum of 30 minutes fire rating 

A standard 12.5 mil pb will achieve this without any other fireproofing measures 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ETC said:

Plasterboard on its own will not give you fire resistance.

Yes it will. All and any plasterboard provides significant fire resistance

11 hours ago, ETC said:

used as part of a built system

As opposed to sitting at the builders merchant?

• Haha 1

Pick a room. Set fire in it, close door. Time for 30 minutes. Open door and attempt to put out fire. Compare result to the following:

A. Room destroyed but fire could be put out before penetrating through ceiling / walls = success. You have 30 minute fire rating including plasterboard. 

B. You lose the whole house to fire = failure. Please rebuild and repeat test until successful.

Only tests conducted on 32nd of each month are acceptable for insurance claim purposes.

Please make sure all cats in the area are suitably wet before commencing test as they like a good fire.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Set fire in it, close door.

That's the difference between lab test and reality. Lab test is a fire breaking through a construction that has been presented to meet a minimum requirement.

I've met the experts who told me that the tests cease at the pass time even if still robust.

Also that timber stud does not fail at exposed studs, ie when not jointed. It chars and self protects, plus the pb gives off moisture.

But that we should still follow the spec.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes it will. All and any plasterboard provides significant fire resistance

As opposed to sitting at the builders merchant?

Rubbish.

13 hours ago, nod said:

All ceilings have to have a minimum of 30 minutes fire rating. No - a first-floor floor construction in a two storey dwelling needs the fire resistance. Take a look at British Gypsum’s White Book.

A standard 12.5 mil pb will achieve this without any other fireproofing measures. No it won’t - you will need floor joists and floor boarding above and you’ll need to tape and fill the joints or skim.

Rubbish.

Edited by ETC

27 minutes ago, ETC said:

Rubbish

I assure you it isn't rubbish.  I wonder at your certainty and out-spokeness.

Maybe you went on a  different Fire Engineering course.

But I'm not saying that any of us, even with expertise,  should veer off the white book and equivalents.

So @ETC, the OP's question, assuming that the PB is fitted to appropriate joists (they state its a ceiling), and they later state it is skimmed, then we are safe to say they have 30 minute fire rating.

Shall we agree and all move on?

• Like 2