Any help would be very helpful

My name is Angus Donald, and I am writing a dissertation on “self-build retrofits”. I love this idea of homeowners taking matters into their own hands. When I talk about “self-build retrofits” I am interested in homeowners who have undertaken some of the work themself. Interested in the types of jobs a homeowner can do and what jobs they would get a contractor to do. I would really appreciate it if someone was happy to answer a few of my questions. Or if you could suggest any avenues for me to explore.

Many thanks,

Angus Donald

Hi and welcome Angus, I am an avid DIY person and retired small time builder. In answer to your question I think self build/work depends on a number of things including time, ability, money etc. I think unlike me most here are working so time available for building is limited. Now we are all different in that I am good at woodwork so have done all timber work on my self build, I am crap at rendering so leave that to contractors, I am not qualified to do electrics (although I do know how to do it) I hate painting so paid someone (there was enough to do to keep me busy). Money, I had funds from a downsizing to pay for my build so not involved in mortgages/loans etc.

• Like 1

• jack changed the title to Any help would be very helpful

Hi and welcome Angus. I like to think that I can either spend time saving money or spend money to save time. I don't like wet trades - brick laying / plastering neither do I have a head for heights. So although I built the roof structure I had the slating done by others. When it comes to the plastering I won't be doing that and I hate painting so that's a job for my partner in life who, although now in financial services, comes from a long line of painters & decorators! Everything else I am quite happy to do myself and so far have on our build except fit the windows which came as a package. I will do all the electrics under the watchful eye of my local electrician and the ASHP will be done by others under the grant scheme although I would have liked to do it myself it's actually cheaper to get in a third party if you are getting the grant.

• Like 1

Hi Angus,

Like Joe90 said, Some, like me, have/had a week time job, and we have built/retrofitted in our non-work time.

Personally, my self build has taken 3.5 years (and counting). Like Mike, some jobs I have paid others to do (Windows, Steel framing, fiberglass on roof, pouring concrete). However, I've always wanted to build my own house, am good at DIY, and have  a level of OCD that can annoy some people (just ask the contractors that have come onsite), but I think that is another reason some of us do stuff ourselves - the inherent need to have something done right.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Angus, 

I’m probably one of the least DIY-skilled of those you will find on this forum, with only basic prior DIY experience such as putting up shelves. 

My husband and I have paid a builder to construct and roof the house, and are engaging professionals for electrics, plumbing, plastering and joinery. 

What we have done ourselves is build a workshop, and we are doing basic labour for the house such as air tightness taping. When the time comes we will install the MVHR system, do the internal insulation/sound deadening, and the decorating. We both work full time, so have limited time to be on site. 

Hope this is helpful, 

Omnibuswoman

• Like 1

The title slightly confuses me.  Are you interested in self builders?  i.e. where you have built a complete house from scratch?  Or people that take an old, tired house and "do it up" as in retrofit ?

I have done both, one renovation and two self builds, and in all cases I did most myself, just skills I have tried and failed at like plastering that I get others to do.

There are some things you cannot do without bits of paper to say you are competent, like a lot of wiring, some plumbing (gas and G3) but plenty you can do.

• Like 1

I'm a carpenter turned electrician. Always had a knack for picking things up. 

I've taken a dated 3 bed, 1 bath bungalow with detached garage, and bridged to the garage and converted it into a reception room, gaining a utility and hallway. Then converted the loft to add 3 bedrooms and bathroom. It will be 5 bed, 3 bathroom two reception room with kitchen twice the size it was. 

I employed an architect to get planning pushed through, and a structural engineer to calculate the roof work. And a plumber moved the boiler (gas). 

All other work I've done myself. 

• Like 1

It is interesting that most of the jobs people dislike doing, or want do, are not because of the skill level required.

More to do with the mass that needs lifting/mixing/moving i.e. roofing, blockwork.

Or Working outside in all weathers,

On 19/02/2024 at 13:46, Angus Donald said:

Or if you could suggest any avenues for me to explore.

Home automation and why it is so uselessly incompatible with existing systems and humans.

• Like 1