Internet switch - recommendations

I have cat 6 to most rooms in my build, and i need to get a switch (min 6 port) to take in input from the router to each room. It needs to be a separate to the router due to the location of where the cat 6 cables all converge.

Can anyone recommend a switch that won't bottle neck speeds and doesn't cost the earth. 

Also is it worth getting a PoE switch?

Edited by Moonshine

do you need a switch? can you not just use a hub?

obviously if you want/need PoE then you'll need a switch but if you're just distributing from the router to each cable that is coming from each room then a hub should do you, no?

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

do you need a switch? can you not just use a hub?

obviously if you want/need PoE then you'll need a switch but if you're just distributing from the router to each cable that is coming from each room then a hub should do you, no?

i though a hub was a switch?

i don't think that i need PoE as its just going to rooms which should go to computers rather than powering anything.

The way i see it working in internet comes into the house to a virgin router. The output from that router goes to a different area where the cat 6 cables all converge and the switch or hub distribute to the rest of the house? 

At a simple level hubs and switches do similar things, connecting devices together at a central point) Hubs distribute the data across the whole network whereas a switch will route data to just the requesting device among other things. 

Anything from Netgear or TP-Link will do. I have a Netgear switch largely because I needed POE. 

30 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

i don't think that i need PoE as its just going to rooms which should go to computers rather than powering anything.

If you might have a VOIP phone at any of these locations PoE can be a good idea.  Also, if any of you network cables go to (future) camera location, a lot of security cameras use PoE.  Do you not have any WiFi acess point though, these are often PoE powered or does your router have built-in wifi with sufficient coverage?

Basic 8-port switch you can get for £20-25, PoE version £50-75.   To futue-proof though, or if you might add PoE AP's, a 12-16 port PoE switch might be a better option.

48 minutes ago, Dan F said:

If you might have a VOIP phone at any of these locations PoE can be a good idea.  Also, if any of you network cables go to (future) camera location, a lot of security cameras use PoE.  Do you not have any WiFi acess point though, these are often PoE powered or does your router have built-in wifi with sufficient coverage?

Basic 8-port switch you can get for £20-25, PoE version £50-75.   To futue-proof though, or if you might add PoE AP's, a 12-16 port PoE switch might be a better option.

The house is pretty much finished so i won't be running any more cables, there aren't any plans for VOIP and all the locations are in rooms and not cameras. But its three storey so i think that i will add a wireless AP on the upper floor. I was eyeing up these which would need PoE

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/32018-tp-link-eap115-wall/

However the single socket space is shared for Cat 6 and Tv aerial, so i don't have the space. So it looks like i will have to get a AP on the upper floor which is powered from a socket.

have you got any links to ones you recommend?

Edited by Moonshine

Yeah +1 for PoE for cameras, doorbells, wifi access points etc.

A switch has traffic management, vlans etc so if you don't already know you need them, you probably don't and a hub will do. I like the Ubiquiti stuff as I feel it is 'semi-pro' rather than consumer.

Really, don't overthink this.

An 8 port unmanaged switch is about 20gbp  probably less if you shop about. TP-Link TL-SG108S or NETGEAR GS308. Looks like Amazon have some no-name brands for 12 quid.

Slap that in, and add another or replace it if you ever need a managed switch or PoE or anything fancy.

• Like 2

Wifi design is another matter though.... 

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

So it looks like i will have to get a AP on the upper floor which is powered from a socket.

What is your idea for Wifi for the rest of the house?

Ideally you want all floors/areas to have APs from a single vendor, all managed and running as a single "mesh" network (not Wifi repeaters)

You definitely don't *need* PoE switch to use PoE wifi APs. Unifi APs ones all come with a PoE injector, for example. But if having >2 APs, I personally would get a PoE switch. buying 2x switches, one PoE and one not, can work out cheaper. And give a bit of redundancy. So my "just buy a cheap non-PoE one for now" advice still stands.

Tip: turning off the wifi built into the ISP router and supplying your own Wifi APs everywhere will give a better result, and avoid accidental ISP lock in.

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, joth said:

What is your idea for Wifi for the rest of the house?

That isn't something i have thought about much, my plan was to use the wifi in the virgin media router, for the ground and first floor and a AP up on the second floor.

However you indicate this isn't a good idea, i'm all ears.

11 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

That isn't something i have thought about much, my plan was to use the wifi in the virgin media router, for the ground and first floor and a AP up on the second floor.

However you indicate this isn't a good idea, i'm all ears.

Best is mesh . I have ASU’s ( tried netgear orb etc didn’t get on ) . Work really well ( 3 nodes ) - also have backhaul Ethernet between them I.e I presume it’s some custom method - so that wireless to the node then wired right back to the router/modem 

Edited by Pocster

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

Best is mesh

Yup.

Make sure that the mesh wifi points also have at least 2 ports - one to connect back to your Virgin router and another that you can stick a switch in, so you then have local ethernet connections where the mesh wifi point is.  We have one wifi point in the garage connected to the router (EE 4G) with a 4 port switch. This then connects to the plant room by cable. There's an 8 port switch in the plant room and a mesh wifi point outside. The switch connects (cable) to another mesh wifi point in the lounge/dining/kitchen and then there's a mesh wifi point on the landing (no cable).

Everything works very smoothly, obvs we've turned off the ee router wifi, so only using the mesh wifi.

Tried all the wifi extenders etc in a previous house and they are very flaky - you'll regret going there...

Simon

10 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Make sure that the mesh wifi points also have at least 2 ports - one to connect back to your Virgin router and another that you can stick a switch in, so you then have local ethernet connections where the mesh wifi point is.

Note this only applies to WiFi APs that have (optional) router functionality built in, generally consumer products like Google WiFi and TP link. 

Alternatively you can keep the router functionality out the APs (either retain the virgin router or use a dedicated box like unifi udm) and then the APs are purely on the LAN side of the router. 

Personally I use Unifi in my house (cable to Virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode, to USG router, to PoE switch, to APs) and all those I manage now, except one Google WiFi install in a relative's house. 

@Pocster how do the ASUs work? Built in router or you using something else?

6 minutes ago, joth said:

Note this only applies to WiFi APs that have (optional) router functionality built in, generally consumer products like Google WiFi and TP link. 

Alternatively you can keep the router functionality out the APs (either retain the virgin router or use a dedicated box like unifi udm) and then the APs are purely on the LAN side of the router. 

Personally I use Unifi in my house (cable to Virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode, to USG router, to PoE switch, to APs) and all those I manage now, except one Google WiFi install in a relative's house. 

@Pocster how do the ASUs work? Built in router or you using something else?

They are just a mesh wifi effectively. You turn off shite router wifi and let them handle it . 2 yrs running only 1 issue ( which I just rebooted to solve )

Nice funky app

IMG_9136.png

I can recommend the TP link Deco Wi-Fi mesh system someone else on the forum also uses it.  I have a long barn all stone walls and the signal is great. Just bought another unit for outside to get the Wi-Fi stronger at an outbuilding. 
I think you have an ICF build you may find some of those walls are thick like my stone and a good Wi-Fi signal is needed and to get it outside by a patio for example. 
good app as well

Edited by Susie

Unless you actively have an interest in home networking and general geekiness, I would recommend a WiFi mesh. Installed Amazon's eero system at my mum's place, has been rock solid unless she accidentally turns them off at the wall! Personally I'm running ubiquiti gear, but that's because I enjoy hacking around with that kind of thing. Wouldn't recommend for someone who wants it to 'just work'.

5 hours ago, joth said:

single "mesh" network (not Wifi repeaters)

4 hours ago, Pocster said:

Best is mesh .

To be more specific, the best approach is a "mesh" (if that's what you want to call it) where each AP (configured with the same SSID), is connected back to the switch/router (also called ethernet backhaul).   The thing with the term "mesh" is that is can also be used to describe a network where only 1 AP is hard-wired and other AP's use wireless uplink/downlink betwen them. This approach should be avoided if possible.

Unifi actualy only use the "mesh" term when referring to wireless uplink/downlink between AP's.  The use of mutliple AP all sharing the same SSID and each wired back to the router is just a nomal network.

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

To be more specific, the best approach is a "mesh" (if that's what you want to call it) where each AP (configured with the same SSID), is connected back to the switch/router (also called ethernet backhaul).   The thing with the term "mesh" is that is can also be used to describe a network where only 1 AP is hard-wired and other AP's use wireless uplink/downlink betwen them. This approach should be avoided if possible.

Unifi actualy only use the "mesh" term when referring to wireless uplink/downlink between AP's.  The use of mutliple AP all sharing the same SSID and each wired back to the router is just a nomal network.

Yep you're absolutely right. I've fallen into using the colloquial form of mesh to describe anything where all APs are configured to act as a single WiFi network, as any hardware supporting mesh will support this, even if you don't use the 802.11s multihop wireless routing aspects of mesh. As otherwise you might just end up with WiFi repeater/extenders with their inherent drawbacks

Netgear follow this naming scheme too it seems

https://www.netgear.com/hub/technology/wifi-extender-vs-mesh-wifi-which-is-better/#:~:text=Mesh WiFi systems offer better,they move around the home.

Thanks for the input, i have ordered a simple 8 port switch, now on to mesh

I have not come across the term 'mesh' before and look like its a good solution.

I am currently looking at the TP-link system, if i were to use this system it seems i would need a Deco M9 plus which the virgin router would plug into. This would be at ground floor, then i would need a Deco E4R on each of the two floors above.

Does that sound right?

Any other cost effective mesh systems i should look into?

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Thanks for the input, i have ordered a simple 8 port switch, now on to mesh

I have not come across the term 'mesh' before and look like its a good solution.

I am currently looking at the TP-link system, if i were to use this system it seems i would need a Deco M9 plus which the virgin router would plug into. This would be at ground floor, then i would need a Deco E4R on each of the two floors above.

Does that sound right?

Any other cost effective mesh systems i should look into?

I've the deco M5. Flawless, really good app. You NEED to get the LAN backhaul working because on WiFi to WiFi mode the speeds crash.

40 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

The what now? Please explain like I am a confused labrador

This diagram shows "Optional ethernet backhaul"

Consider it mandatory, not optional 🙂

I.e. each Deco E4R is plugged into a cat6 ethernet socket back via the switch (you just ordered) and to the M9. 

image.png.de729f50e9c4f6a6c1ef157f16e3de39.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, joth said:

This diagram shows "Optional ethernet backhaul"

Consider it mandatory, not optional 🙂

I.e. each Deco E4R is plugged into a cat6 ethernet socket back via the switch (you just ordered) and to the M9. 

image.png.de729f50e9c4f6a6c1ef157f16e3de39.png

My ASUs worked fine with no Ethernet backhaul . But ! - as you paid the money ; a few cat cables is going to drastically improve speed as you roam between nodes . So yeah ; do it !