Help with new build design please

LaChab

Hi everyone,
These are the plans we're intending to submit soon. As you can see, we think in straight lines!

The plot came with "reserved matters", but we thought the design could be improved, so we've produced these.
The original was a sort of slim tee, with gables on the roof, so we've lopped off the top of the tee so that we've got a nice, simple, rectangle.
Hopefully the planners will approve!

The plot faces South, so although it's not ideal we've put the largest windows at the rear facing the garden. The plot's long and very narrow (16m), with a 3m wayleaf along the East side, so this seems the best orientation for the house. I've run the rather brilliant "simplified Method" spreadsheet I found here, and the sizes seem ok for overheating, although they'll need guarding.

Any reviews very gratefully accepted.................

GLP-05F Plan First Floor.pdf GLP-05G Plan Ground Floor.pdf

There are certainly some unusual features like the long thin utility room. having to go through the tv room to get anywhere, rooms without windows.

Can we have a plot layout showing how the house sits on the plot and it's relation to neighbours buildings, that might help to explain the windows issues and offer solutions.

Hi,

It is a bit uninspired! It's actually going to be part "services", and we thought having it full of storage and a long worktop would be really usefull. We've accumulated a lot of "stuff"!

It also keeps the posi span down a bit.

But basically we couldn't think of anything better!

We're not keen on windows in bathrooms or the utility. Prefer the look of nice bright led lighting.

You're right about the TV room, but we couldn't see how we could change that without moving the cloakroom, which didn't seem to fit any other way.

There is the back door directly into the kitchen which we would use ourselves, and we don't get many visitors to the front door!

Thanks for looking

GLP-02 Site Layout.pdf

Hi, is your stairs closed treads? If they are could you push the cloakroom along a bit so it utilises the space under the stairs, that way you may be able to fit a door from the hall to the lounge/kitchen at the end. Just a thought.

We hadn't thought too much about the other 2 bedrooms. 

We're intending to use Bedroom 3 as on office, and bed 2 will only be for overnight guests.

Our reasoning was to prioritise bedroom 1.

Bedroom 3's large enough I think for some cupboards, but agree that two is a bit compact.

Thanks for the comments,

That's a good idea about the stairs.  Was thinking closed. We've drawn them as 1m wide, so quite a bit of room, although I do like a generous cloakroom!

I'll have a look at a section view and see how the headroom works out. Would prefer just one door into the TV room.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

There are certainly some unusual features like the long thin utility room. having to go through the tv room to get anywhere, rooms without windows.

Agree these are my concerns too. 

Could the utility room be 20cm wider and 135cm shorter? Making it 135cm shorter would then allow you to have a stud wall separating that additional space for the kitchen, and then 120cm wide space for two tall units accessible from the kitchen side, thereby mitigating the loss of 20cm width from the kitchen, as you could but your fridge and oven tall units in that space.

Are you able to provide photos of the plot to understand views etc.  what size sqm are you looking at building.  What are your circs ages, family, WFH, kids, dogs, house for life etc etc.

have a look at Danwood homes website will have a few designs of houses that might give you some inspiration.

@ETC will help with some good ideas when he sees the post.  

• Like 1

Ours is the empty bit in the middle of the photo.

@Adsibob Sorry, my plan's not very clear, I just quickly added some rectangles into the kitchen mainly to see if there was room for an island.

We're actually thinking of (about) 6 high units along the utility side of the kitchen, and then worktop along the window and TV walls.

@Bozza Not much in the way of views I'm afraid, even when we deal with the front hedge.

Haven't got any photos from in the plot, but I've attached an aerial view.

The current permission is for about 180m, which seems a good sort of size, so we're keeping our changed application to that

Just the two of us, and we've been retired since we built our current house in France about 15 years ago, so not expecting to move again after doing this one!

@FuerteStu We've included a terrace on the application, but we didn't want to make the actual building any larger in case it caused problems. We're pretty anxious until we get our application approved.

Once this is approved, we thought PD would work for a conservatory outside the lounge / utility and even a "boot room" outside the entrance hall, covering the Kitchen rear outside entrance door.

Thanks everyone, suggestions much appreciated

GLP-12 Photo - Neighbouring Houses.pdf

Would just add that from the info you’ve provided I was able to identify the plot and the previously submitted drawings which you feel you’ve improved upon with your design.  You have a lovely plot and area as far as I can see an opportunity to build something fantastic.  yes some challenges around plot shape (I had same problem).

Looking at the previous drawings -v- what you’ve come up with I’m really struggling to understand where the improvement is and if you posted the existing drawings here alongside what you’ve come up with I’d be really surprised if anyone would agree there is an improvement.  

HOWEVER there may be a great reason why your unusual new layout and choices (no windows in rooms) is perfect for you and your circumstances and the former layout is totally unsuitable.  So this goes back to my first reply if we have an understanding of your needs and wants and circumstances we should get much better advice to you.  

Though most self builders here will absolutely defend your right to ultimately build what your want to design and layout wise, as I do, we’ll also definitely advocate alternative ideas to help you make the best decision.

you’ve indicated you are retired and don’t intend to move again.  In which case I’d be advising you not to build this house with consideration to the aging process and ensure you have a living space downstairs that could be converted into a bedroom, with a shower if needed.  Easily done.

as a I say wait till @ETC sees your post he’s openly offered to assist people in your circumstances.  I can’t wait to see what he comes up with TBH and I’m certain it will be a better alternative.

• Like 2

What's with the Barn at the back of the plot?  does the red outline mean you only have the front of the plot and someone else has the back with the barn either as a barn or another house plot?  If so is there shared access over that entrance?

25M is a very short visibility splay.

Hi,

@BozzaThat's impressive investigation! We want to use ICfs, and do as much as possible ourselves, so we thought simplifying the shape would make it easier and cheaper. It also greatly simplifies the roof shape, which in turn gives more room for solar PV. We also think the simple rectangle, without plastic cladding, better matches the neighbours.

The other specific change we made was to make the staircase a single straight flight, so upstairs should always be accessible. I do take your point about a downstairs shower though. We'll have a think!

@ProDave That's the main selling feature of the plot. Really useful! Very much our barn, and I look forward to filling it! We own all the (very long) plot, but the planners refuse to increase the red area. which makes the garden a bit small, but have to compromise on plots really. Access is only shared with the electric company who have a wayleaf to maintain a small transformer on a pole.

Splay has been approved for the existing plans, so not a problem. I assume the length is because the access is on a private lane with very little traffic.

Thanks for the responses,

Hi,

@BozzaThat's impressive investigation! We want to use ICfs, and do as much as possible ourselves, so we thought simplifying the shape would make it easier and cheaper. It also greatly simplifies the roof shape, which in turn gives more room for solar PV. We also think the simple rectangle, without plastic cladding, better matches the neighbours.

The other specific change we made was to make the staircase a single straight flight, so upstairs should always be accessible. I do take your point about a downstairs shower though. We'll have a think!

@ProDave That's the main selling feature of the plot. Really useful! Very much our barn, and I look forward to filling it! We own all the (very long) plot, but the planners refuse to increase the red area. which makes the garden a bit small, but have to compromise on plots really. Access is only shared with the electric company who have a wayleaf to maintain a small transformer on a pole.

Splay has been approved for the existing plans, so not a problem. I assume the length is because the access is on a private lane with very little traffic.

Thanks for the responses,

@ProDave That's very true, and extremely annoying!  We're ok with the house at the front, but would have liked the garage back a bit further to make the rear garden a bit longer. As you say, we'll have to go for lots of "agriculture"!

Looking at the drone view I think you are right to change the exterior of the house shape to match the neighbours for the reasons you have stated.

have a look though at house number 158 on the Danwood site for starters, ignore the cladding and the windows all that isn’t relevant..  Something like that house, also a longer thinner house,  could work quite well on that site.  I think with a longer thinner house it’s often better if you can get the staircase in a more central location.  Obviously that particular house design wouldn’t be perfect for you but may be a starting point.

4 hours ago, LaChab said:

Sorry, my plan's not very clear, I just quickly added some rectangles into the kitchen mainly to see if there was room for an island.

We're actually thinking of (about) 6 high units along the utility side of the kitchen, and then worktop along the window and TV walls.

I just meant that your utility room is disproportionally too big compared to your kitchen. I really think you should draw in ALL of your cabinets, and other furniture, your hot water tank, all your appliances. Make it as close to the real life layout as possible. I think once you do that you will realise the utility is too big.  I would seriously consider cutting a good chunk out of that utility room and making it into a snug that is open onto the kitchen, or a dining booth. Just seems wasteful to have such a large utility unless you need some sort of insulated workshop.

I'd consider moving the garage to the other side of the plot, and put it facing the road - where your site plan says "turning and parking".

Or even moving it forward to be level with the house, so that you get all your S-facing back garden back, which is the plot's best feature.

What is the status of the electric kit, the wayleave and the wording of the agreement? Can you just give them notice to move it off your land, as is often the case?

It all depends on the detail of the agreement - I was able to tell an elec company to remove a medium voltage line (can link to the thread on BH if you like) supplying many thousands of people just by going through the  notice process in the agreement.

I'll stay off the layout as I think that is going to change majorly and others are all over it, except to say:

1 - Make your stairs a shallow angle 34-35 degrees not 40-42 if you can. Really helps when you become a little more frail.

2 - Provision for handrails, grabrails and things you will need now in your design (panels of ply in the walls to drill them to etc.)

3 - Generous walk in showers.

4 - Everything wheelchair useable.

5 - Provision for a lift.

6 - Plan your garden to need less maintenance as you get older.

And I might on that plot think about a bungalow facing towards the back of the plot with some thought about what  I want at either side depending on what I like to do in the sun morning and evening. 

ATB

Ferdinand

@Adsibob I do agree the utility is a bit odd, but your suggestion of an insulated workshop sounds good! It would be really useful while we're building.

My cad skills are a bit limited, but I'll try adding fittings to all the rooms and see what it looks like.

@Ferdinand I agree with your points, especially 2,3&4, as a bit of extra thought now would save lots of work later.

Moving the garage out of the rear view would be great, but I don't think changing the wayleaf is very easy, and I need to keep access to the barn.

Not too keen on the bungalow idea though!

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Lots to think about, and for you to take in.

But, here's my 2 Penneth for upstairs - although I ran out of windows.  

TV room upstairs in Bed 3.

Jack and Jill Shower Room with Bed 2 to Landing - Pocket door to Bedroom. 

I tried to play with Bed 1 to achieve.....  Entry to bedroom direct without going though Dressing, accessing dressing room  through bedroom , becomes less of a corridor.  I ran out of windows, but wanted to make the dressing room easily convertible to a 4th bed room should you wish to sell in the future [not actually convert but mention in the selling blurb].

Make the TV Room Down stairs the Office / Snug .

If you have the TV room upstairs show it as a bedroom for the planners.

Best way, forward maybe blank floor layouts with overall dimensions and window doors and a full list of thing that need achieving, such as

1)  Bedroom 1 with dressing room and Bathroom

2) TV room At least x metres by x metres

3) office space x metres by x metres

4) Somewhere to store  Hoover [other brands are available :)] 

5) Somewhere to store Bed Linin [we ended up with an airing cupboard on the landing with a small radiator and extract to MVHR [probably affect the efficiency of the house but it Kept SHMBO happy] 

6) Space for Granny's Grandfather Clock.

etc

etc

And see what the very much more informed [and better artists] on here come up with.

image.thumb.png.7609437fccaa7721399652d995ce6d9a.png