Sliding patio doors - tolerance when fitted??

Cecil

Hi, I'm new to the forum and introducing myself with our first issue.

We are building a two storey extension and at the point of installing sliding doors. The floor isn't fully fitted but at the time of measuring there was the floorboards and steel in place. We are putting in ugh with tiles on top so knew the floor was going to increase by 40mm and we wanted a flush threshold so no runner to step over.

Our issue is the gap at the top. We have a gap of approx 45mm between our steel and the trickle vent frame that sits on top of the main door frame. Is this excessive? to me I was expecting much less but window company say they have to allow tolerances for fitting, which I can understand but this much? What is your experience?

I know inside can be improved visually as the plasterboard will go over, even though means less glass if the doors were measured correctly, but outside I'm left with the door frame, a 40mm trickle vent frame and then a 45mm cover. See pictures and can add more if needed. 

Would appreciate your views as they just keep saying tolerances, looks ok, to be expected and my expectations to high??? I would dispute this but am I being too high in expectations??

24F95DA2-8A89-48F2-BA87-9E1B049AE43F_4_5005_c.jpeg.aaaf46d3a160111e439aa191e74ac8af.jpeg1BF2A17E-7444-4A5D-9526-5C24F3AA1225_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ab88051fbc5409b348fc161180ea94ae.jpeg

Hi Conor, thanks for reply.

The window company measured and there were no drawings/sheets on sign off.

They came round to discuss requirements, exchanged several emails during the build as we were hoping for a 2100 or 2200 final height position so gave them these so they could quote a price.

When the steel and floorboards were in place, they came on site to measure, and we told them about the floor still be to raised with ufh etc so to allow for this.

When steel beams are in play, window companies need to allow for deflection. So your usual 25mm can be 35mm. Was the finished floor level clearly marked and agreed on site? 

The trickle cent unit looks cumbersome. Did you know what was how it was going to be?

Yes, the floor height was marked when discussed on site at time of measuring.

I agree on the trickle vent, this does seem excessive height to house the trickle vent. We were advised we would need it, I did consider different options but decided to go with the easier option as part of the unit but 40mm seems excessive. Their comment is it needs to be to allow it to open out fully?? Given there is space below and would be on top due to some spacer even if 25mm, I just don't understand.

Thanks Russell, that's interesting. Have you needed a trickle vent frame too or is it integrated in the door frame? 

I guess the 25/30mm is a standard approach and ours has exceeded this.

We had sliding corner doors, and had about 40mm on both sides against the vertical steels. I was annoyed at the size, but quickly forgot about it! Now with plasterboard and external trims and render you'd never know!

Accept what you've got, nobody is going to replace them to gain maybe 15mm.

Top rule of self builds... Pick your battles, and know when you're not going to win!

Move on.

• Like 1

I panicked because the installers ended up installing the doors a couple of mm higher than planned, so our gap was only 6mm, but engineer had specified 8mm deflection. Its been in for two years and all fine. It is annoying to end up with a 45mm surprise, but you will soon forget it. Agree you should move on.

In future, insist on signing off on detailed drawings before handing over any money.

• Like 1

Thanks Chanmenie and MJ Newton

Good to hear these clearances are achievable and you got a good result.

May I ask if these are also flush to floor/no threshold at the bottom?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Cecil said:

May I ask if these are also flush to floor/no threshold at the bottom?

In our case whilst we wanted it low profile we weren't after flush (there's nearly a brick height drop on the outside anyway so benefits would be limited). I think we've got around 10-15mm above finished floor level. It might be technically slightly less actually given the finishing strip over the edge of the wooden flooring. 

I do remember being worried about threshold height and at what point would it be too high. Part of the subsequent thought process was to become better informed through first-hand experience so I set about measuring existing door threshold heights - which had never caused any issue - and couldn't believe how high some of them were! I suppose your brain unconsciously deals with that sort of thing. Bit different between a front door and a wide glass opening to the garden of course but it did remind me not to worry too much about such things. I still did though. 

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

SE said I wouldn’t get any deflection, presumably because there are no rooms above.

Are you sure? Everything has some degree of deflection. Even 3.6m of metal carrying just the weight of the roof will deflect a little. Our beam was about 4.3m and even without much weight (ie before the build was completed) but carrying a few courses of bricks we measured its deflection at about 2mm.