How deep is my screed?

Jimbo37

Hi all.

The architect spec'd to install 50mm of screed. Thing is, I think only 40mm was actually put in. I think this coz I marked the walls before the screed went in, and all suggest 40mm. In addition, 40mm is apparent around doors etc. I'm mindful that the centre of the floor could be deeper - any way of checking? 🤔

You need ~15mm cover over the pipes, so about 16mm for a pipe, a couple mm sticking up here or there meaning you need a min depth of 35mm. They say min 50mm on basis you'll have high spots and it'll be thinner. There's not much you can do about it anyway. Move on to the next job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo37 said:

@JohnMo im nervous, as there is ufh

Given you can’t do anything about it now I’d forget about it. Certainly don’t go drilling holes in your screed. As long as you have enough cover over the UFH which is 16mm if its stapled to the insulation. I had the same mild panic with my screed depth albeit we were nominally at 55mm. What kind of screed is it? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

But if you've paid for 50mm and its a big area, then there should be a rebate

Agreed @saveasteading, but I'm unsure if I'll follow this through as my main concern is the quality of what I have and the general consensus is that its fine. To go for cost rebate, I'd have to be 100% sure of depths in middle of floor, which presumably would call for a couple of drill holes, which is a taking from quality and would rankle the builder if I'm wrong - on balance, I think it's best to move on.

• Like 3

who did the install? Our guy was very open about his calculations, pointing out every high or low spot on the PIR. The subfloor was poured as three slabs and the middle one ended up with a bit of a dish, so our hallway has closer to 65mm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

Presuming it was a flow screed pour?  If so the screed supplier would have records as to how much was poured.   

Yes the guys that did mine had those wee spider level things and marked on a sheet the screed depth at each one. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Great description.

So they set the arachnids, dipped the levels and ordered the exact amount of screed? Clever.

No waste? There is always some, or they're scraping out the mixer for some more.

Yes very little waste. 

• Like 1

Just now, joe90 said:

Same with me (but a towable mixing/pumping trailer)

Yes they dropped off the twoable pump the day before. All very slick. Team of three guys,  lorry driver and another guy came to check it and sign off. In and out before my other half managed to drive from the rental to watch the pour. 😂 

• Like 1